Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What mods for 25k

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 11:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RussStang
Yeah, I kind of figured this thread would have guys in no short supply coming in and telling you not to spend the money. I am not saying I disagree with them, but you did make it pretty clear that it was your intention of spending the money, and hearing that same **** over and over again probably isn't helping.

Are there any fbody or GM performance shops in your area? There is a good place to start. At least get an idea from someone who does this for a living.

I had no idea this many people would be against the idea. Really though, why not spend 25k on this car and have something that I've wanted for 5+ years? I would really rather build up this car the way I want it then buy a new car/truck. I realize I won't be able to sell it for what I have in it but I do not plan on selling it. Your right, I'm tired of hearing about not doing it. I've been wanting to do this for a very very long time. 5+ years

The closest performance shop that I know is is TR but they are ~5 hours away. I only have about 6 months of experience working as a tech at a Ford dealership but I understand what needs to be done to build it. The problem is trying to figure out what to spend my money on first. I know the rear end won't hold, suspension needs set up, trans will probably have trouble with huge power, but really I can take it easy for awhile and those things will hold up. I just want the car up and going asap so I can have a little fun. The car hasn't been street legal since I moved off for college and I don't plan on getting insurance on it again untill it is somewhat built up the way I want it.

Right now I'm thinking about ordering a shortblock and a clutch. By the time I get these things and get the car apart and back together I will have recovered most of the money from the purchase. Save up a couple months and get the F1A procharger I want. Take it easy on the rear end for a few months untill I have enough money for that. I've been looking at shortblocks the past few days and I'm having a hard time figureing out if I want to go with a 347, 402, or 418. I want the largest but I also want to get the car up and running asap so...
Old 04-07-2007, 11:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm not against you modding your car.If it's been a dream of your to do it since you bought the car,I say do it and spend your money wisely.You won't be happy until it's done.You got some money you saved for this reason,use it.Hell you've waited until you got out if school and got a job,just don't get your self into a financial situation later down the road.I was in a similar situation,I bought my WS6 for modding and sunny day stress relief vehicle.I was gonna drop some serious cash into it begining of this year.But certain things have happened and I've decided to hold off for a little while until I feel everything seems to be back on track.Just remember,whatever amount of money you put into your car,your probably never get it back out of it.Also consider your mods carefully if your gonna daily drive it.So do what you want to and enjoy it!

Last edited by EVILWS6; 04-07-2007 at 11:46 PM.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:41 PM
TECH Resident

One mod you need to look into getting is a beater....trust me!! I have a little 90 Accord and has been one of my best investments, not only does it get great gas milage, its always there for when I DONT want to drive my car casue of shitty weather...wich Im sure you will not always want to drive your price possesion and second your car WILL go down for something either needing fixed or your in the process of doing another mod. I love my TA, it has become like evilws6 said....sunny day stress relief car. My car stays clean and ready to roll all the time and I get so much enjoyment out of it cause I dont drive it all the time.

You keep mentioning shortblocks...just get it all done at once and get a long block. Their are several vendors out their that make nice shortblocks, TSP and LME are two that I would look into. You could have a nice set up for 15k that includes your block, tranny and rear eaisly...hell I bet you could spend 12K, that would have you up and running untill you decide wich set up to go with , blower or turbo. You could have a nasty all motor set up aswell and spray even a 175 shot and make sick TORQUE and very nice HP.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sell it and put the money together to buy a c5 z06 or c6 vette. Hell, go for a c6 z06.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:12 AM
Teching In

800rwhp is a lot of power. Your going to mess **** up like crazy. i would have to say go with the rear turbo set up. it will get u to around low 11's with the basics.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

I like this thinking as you will start with a very nice car (c5 z06) and can up the ante with forced induction down the road. There is more to life than a straight line...get the whole package.

Originally Posted by _JB_
Sell it and put the money together to buy a c5 z06 or c6 vette. Hell, go for a c6 z06.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:56 PM
7 Second Club

you forgot about the chassis... that is another 2.5K depending on how you want the car to be certified....
k-member, subframes or bars coming off your cage, seatbelts, TA, rear sway bar...

it will add up fast
Old 04-17-2007, 06:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

a used c5 z06 with a 175 shot would be nice.