Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ultra noob question on car start up.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 02:55 AM
MJK
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just basically start the car and kill a couple minutes picking out a CD or something... just when the needle starts moving up a bit,then go.Just don't drive her hard until she reaches nornal temp or so.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:01 AM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by KENS_SS_4
You are aware that some people live up north. That this winter in Chicago we had 2 weeks where the temp never got above 0. There are times and places when you should let the engine warm up a bit.

This question has no simple answer that is perfect for every time.

Don't drive the car above 2500 rpms untill it is fully warmed would be my advice.
I'm from St.louis.

I KNOW about cold.

Last edited by Coy; 04-10-2007 at 08:21 AM.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MJK
Just basically start the car and kill a couple minutes picking out a CD or something... just when the needle starts moving up a bit,then go.Just don't drive her hard until she reaches nornal temp or so.
okay, but what is normal temp?
Old 04-10-2007, 10:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by hawaiianpunch01SS
dont worry it dosnt hurt your car AT ALL to sit 5,10,15 min runing if everything is operating properly. it is a good idea to alow the motor to get up to operating temp before driving it but not a requirement. the idea behind this is to allow the valve train to warm up (more important on a car with a large cam), oil to warm up (cold oil is thick), and the various different types of metal in the motor to equalize there temperatures, and reduce piston slap. i allow my car about 3-5 min of warm up wen i am not in a rush but never bring it above much over 2k rpms untill it is fully warmed up (about 185-190 for a stock car, 160 with mine)

my car is a stock 98 and seeing a temp of 185 is rare... 174 is the norm for my car. what do you think? is that bad?
Old 04-10-2007, 10:28 PM
Launching!

another question:
say its 70 degrees out and my car is at or under 160, can i just go? or warm her up? thanks guys.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:44 PM
Staging Lane

I start mine up, fiddle around in the car for a few about 30 sec to get my I pod going buckle up and hit the road, I baby it till it warms ups, unless im about to get hit by an 18wheeler or something! Dont stress over this! Get in your Z28 crank it up and take off just dont "Hot rod It" (wow I sound like my dad) till shes warmed up a little bit.

*unless its really COLD outside than give it a little bit longer, say a minute or two.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:47 AM
MJK
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vipert/a
okay, but what is normal temp?
I can't give you exact numbers...

When I had my 98' it ran about 1/4 up with AC on and just under 1/2 way up with out AC...it would run a little cooler with the AC on probably because of the secondary fan being constantly on.

Every other LS1 I have had 99' and 00' and my brother's 99' all with the "dummy guage" warm up to just under the 1/2 and never move regardless of AC on or off.Although I have never had one over heat on me to see if the guages on the 99'+ react.

Thast what I would refer to as norm....Or you could also probably judge what is normal operating temp by checking when the T-stat opens and you feel the coolant flowing though the hoses..Be careful of course.

But like was said...unless you are over heating don't make too big of this issue..Let her idle off a cold start for a minute or two and just baby her a bit for the first 5 to 10 minutes of driving.

Take care....
Old 04-11-2007, 04:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MJK
I can't give you exact numbers...

When I had my 98' it ran about 1/4 up with AC on and just under 1/2 way up with out AC...it would run a little cooler with the AC on probably because of the secondary fan being constantly on.

Every other LS1 I have had 99' and 00' and my brother's 99' all with the "dummy guage" warm up to just under the 1/2 and never move regardless of AC on or off.Although I have never had one over heat on me to see if the guages on the 99'+ react.

Thast what I would refer to as norm....Or you could also probably judge what is normal operating temp by checking when the T-stat opens and you feel the coolant flowing though the hoses..Be careful of course.

But like was said...unless you are over heating don't make too big of this issue..Let her idle off a cold start for a minute or two and just baby her a bit for the first 5 to 10 minutes of driving.

Take care....

THANKS!! sounds good man... i guess w/o looking at hosing and all the mechanic work, i would say that my normal operating temp is 174. it hardly moves higher. i'm basing this on my everyday driving and observing my gauge... my car has never ever over heated... knock on wood
Old 04-11-2007, 06:52 PM
Launching!

Popular mechanics recently had an article about things our fathers taught us that are no longer true. One of them was that you needed to let your car warm up before you drove it. That is no longer true because the excessive wear occurs while they are still cold, and what warms them up quicker, being under load or sitting there idling. I never warm mine up I'm just easy on it until it warms up.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:56 PM
TECH Resident

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-lsx-automobile-discussion/692356-necessary-warming-up-car-morning.html