Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing off ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 09:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing off ??

My car does not pull as strong as it used to and my valves chatter bad. . .does that sound like my timing could be off ??
Old 07-16-2008, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no, sounds like your running cheap gas.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ego Killer
no, sounds like your running cheap gas.
which would lower timing due to the knock sensor
Old 07-17-2008, 05:00 PM
Teching In

dang, my car is doing the same thing and come to think about it, it started when gas prices started going up and I stopped pumping 91 and started pumping 87...I can't believe that makes so much of a difference.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

owners manual says you can use 87 but performace will be different.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

back when mine was "stockish" it ran like a$$ when I used 87
Old 07-17-2008, 06:27 PM
Teching In

lol guess I should fork over a few extra bucks and pump 91. I was gonna have it tuned cuz I thought that might take care of the pinging. I'll run 91 the next few times I fill up and see if the pinging stops.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:02 PM
TECH Regular

I have never understood why people think using cheap gas actually saves money in the end. Up here premium (91) is $4.29 and midgrade (87) is $4.21. That is a difference of eight cents... yes eight cents. On a full tank of fuel that would equate to $1.20 I don't know about you but the extra buck is worth eliminating the pinging, and suffered performance. Unless you're tuned for something else the recommended octane for these cars is 91+ if you can't afford the extra dollar than you shouldn't have purchased the vehicle.

OP, run a scanner and see if you're getting KR. Honestly it could be a number of things mechanical. What did you do to your car recently? Any error codes? Start fueling up somewhere else and see if it goes away. It's not too uncommon anymore for gasoline stations to high-grade.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ItsNotStock
I have never understood why people think using cheap gas actually saves money in the end. Up here premium (91) is $4.29 and midgrade (87) is $4.21. That is a difference of eight cents... yes eight cents. On a full tank of fuel that would equate to $1.20 I don't know about you but the extra buck is worth eliminating the pinging, and suffered performance. Unless you're tuned for something else the recommended octane for these cars is 91+ if you can't afford the extra dollar than you shouldn't have purchased the vehicle.

OP, run a scanner and see if you're getting KR. Honestly it could be a number of things mechanical. What did you do to your car recently? Any error codes? Start fueling up somewhere else and see if it goes away. It's not too uncommon anymore for gasoline stations to high-grade.
Well, it's more like a 30-40 cent difference on the coasts. But you're right. If you didn't want to spend $$$ on gas, you shouldn't have bought a 5.7L V8.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Luder[PAK9]
Well, it's more like a 30-40 cent difference on the coasts. But you're right. If you didn't want to spend $$$ on gas, you shouldn't have bought a 5.7L V8.
+1
Old 07-21-2008, 05:58 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ItsNotStock

plus since the engine was made to run on 91 or higher it will perform better and be more efficient, and the improved efficiency from the higher octane will end up saving you money in the long run (i.e. more efficient nets better MPG in most cases)