New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hydro lock?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007 | 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default hydro lock?

so my buddy has an accord and got water sucked up in the engine by driving through a really ridiculous storm and flooded street yesterday. the car died immediately, and today when he started the car there was a lot of groggy noise (is that a word?)...it just sounded rough and he shut it off immediately after because i told him to. he didn't notice any smoke coming out of the exhaust.

i had a similar experience where i was doing a tb bypass and didn't hook the radiator hose up correctly before and wound up sucking antifreeze into my engine. i was able to burn mine out of my system, although i am not recommending that to him because it was a really dumb idea and i didn't know better.

any ideas on how he can resolve this? i told him to pull a spark plug and see if it's wet, but since the spark plugs are on top of the engine on an accord as opposed to the bottom of the ls1, i don't think they would be wet even if water got into his engine. any other ideas? thanks.
Old 04-25-2007 | 06:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Dunno - but I'd pull all the plugs and turn the car over just to be sure no water got into the cyls.
Old 04-25-2007 | 06:36 PM
12 Second Club

Add an Oil Change in there for safety.
Old 04-25-2007 | 06:39 PM
10 Second Club

Yea, pull all the spark plugs and turn it over (it wont start obviously) and see if it pumps water out. If it does, he'll have to pull the head and clean it out, and thank God it wasn't actually hydro-locked. Either way, change the oil, but check it first and see if it is milky (doubtful but water have made its way past the rings).
Old 04-25-2007 | 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Trust
Yea, pull all the spark plugs and turn it over (it wont start obviously) and see if it pumps water out. If it does, he'll have to pull the head and clean it out, and thank God it wasn't actually hydro-locked. Either way, change the oil, but check it first and see if it is milky (doubtful but water have made its way past the rings).
+1
Old 04-25-2007 | 10:12 PM
11 Second Club

If you are indeed sure that the water was sucked into the motor, change the plugs and oil as mentioned.

However, it is possible that no water was sucked up and water could just be inside the cap and needs to either be replaced or dried out. Was the air filter wet after this happened or was it not checked?

On a side note, the ducks are kickin the canucks *** 1-3 in the 2nd period.
Old 04-26-2007 | 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
If you are indeed sure that the water was sucked into the motor, change the plugs and oil as mentioned.

However, it is possible that no water was sucked up and water could just be inside the cap and needs to either be replaced or dried out. Was the air filter wet after this happened or was it not checked?

On a side note, the ducks are kickin the canucks *** 1-3 in the 2nd period.
what do you mean "inside the cap?" he checked the filter after the storm and it didn't appear to be wet. it was the next day though, so the filter very well may have dried up.
Old 04-26-2007 | 12:49 PM
Launching!

distributor cap.that storm was crazy yesterday
Old 04-28-2007 | 06:31 PM
Teching In

If you’re going to crank the car with the spark plugs out you’ll want to disable the fuel system so you don’t spray fuel everywhere. You will still spray some fuel (from residual fuel pressure in the lines) while cranking because you can’t pull the fuse, crank and then pull the plugs because of the fear of hydro lock. But still, would be a good idea to pull the fuse for your pump to minimize the amount of fuel you spray and also to not misdiagnose the fuel spraying out for water.