New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Engine Soon !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 06:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

20 bucks at Autozone, quick fix. Better than looking at that light for months.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by VerySlowTA
You should always assume that the people at a parts store don't know ****.

Originally Posted by VerySlowTA
There is no way that he could hook it up to an OBD-II scanner and discover you have an exhaust leak. If your car has an exhaust leak, you should be able to hear it. There are no "exhaust leak" fault codes.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by angel71rs
20 bucks at Autozone, quick fix. Better than looking at that light for months.
+1

Just replace the check valve, your light will go out. I had P1415 on my car, same code but for bank 1, got the check valve for like $12, put it in and the light went out. Even if you plan to get it tuned out, it's just $12 to get rid of the SES light. Didn't even need to reset the PCM either, light just went out after install. You can test the check valve by trying to blow through it in the direction of airflow (towards the manifold), just to rule out anything else.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:57 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by styoung
well i dont need a inspection sticker and are hopefully buying headers by the end of the summer so i hate to spend the money on something i dont really need. and when i buy headers i plan on getting the offroad ones.
LOL - more tuning to eliminate the codes you are going to get! Why are you getting the offroad headers? You that running no cats is illegal and I'm pretty sure MASS has some tough emissions laws. The smell without cats, the excessive rasp, and tickets for "improper exhaust" might change your mind.

Also, until you get the headers, just fix your car. $20 bucks? geez!!

Good luck!
Old 05-03-2007, 05:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BAD2000TA
LOL - more tuning to eliminate the codes you are going to get! Why are you getting the offroad headers? You that running no cats is illegal and I'm pretty sure MASS has some tough emissions laws. The smell without cats, the excessive rasp, and tickets for "improper exhaust" might change your mind.

Good luck!
ya im gonna get the valve and mass does have tough laws but i know people that will pass it for me. but do you need the air pump even with cats?
Old 05-03-2007, 07:28 PM
TECH Resident

ya im gonna get the valve and mass does have tough laws but i know people that will pass it for me. but do you need the air pump even with cats?
That is the sole purpose of the air pump - to help warm up the cats.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

styoung, if your getting the race headers with an ORY, just **** can the AIR system now, idk what shops charge in mass., but here they will tune EGR, AIR and rear O2's out for ~30 bucks. if you get the race style headers, your going to have to get rid of it anyways, so insted of paying 12-20 bucks now to fix it only to **** can it in a few months, save the 20 bucks to buy you some gas. if you can get around the emissions checks and can live with the fact that if you get busted without them, your facing a 3000.00 dollar fine, do it. i know here in ohio, if you get busted once, you get a fix it ticket, and twice, you get slapped with the fine. now on the other hand, if your going with a catted Y-pipe, keep the AIR system, or your new cats will go bad in a matter of months.

ORY=no cats and shitcan the AIR system now and have codes deleted
Catted Y=cats, and fix AIR system.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BAD2000TA

Good luck!
the smell without cats was enough to make me want no cats. i have no rasp with my TD's and bullets, and unless your a total idiot and give the cops a reason to question your exhaust, then you deserve the improper exhaust tickets.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:21 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well just got back from the zone and got the code P1416, says air system bank 2 fault. i guess this means its time to remove the air pump. any ideas? thanks
lol i got this code thrown wednesday. that's so funny. SAME CODE. i had it cleared, put some techron in my tank and it didn't come back

i guess i'll just pick up a check valve from napa. it's only $13 for them. i always forget, bank 2 is pass. side, correct? i hate emissions equipment

Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 05-03-2007 at 10:28 PM.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:24 PM
Banned

well last night i was driving home from my friends house and i pull on the highway like i normally do, 20-70 as fast as i can, and i set my cruse control and i look at my dash and the service engine soon light was on. so i went right to autozone and had them scan it and he said that i had a small exhaust leak. now i checked my exhaust over today and didnt notice any leaks. but i know that i have had a rattle in my muffler getting worse. could a bad muffler cause the ses light to come on?? o and all i have done to my exhaust is a hooker catback. any input would be nice. thanks.

There is where I bet your issue is. It will be throwing a sensor II bank 1 or II "low sys. voltage" code. This is caused by an exhaust leak RIGHT before your rear O2. A steady SES light is indicative of an emission equipment issue. This is emissions stuff. Look at the one on your pass. side. The condensation from teh AC runs down the exhaust pipe when you stop and the place where the cat/exhaust meet at the rear of the cat is prone to cracking. I bet that is the issue. You may not hear a leak there that could cause this issue. That is RIGHT before an O2 so it doesnt take much.
Attached Thumbnails Service Engine Soon !!!!-cat.jpg  
Old 05-03-2007, 10:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
lol i got this code thrown wednesday. that's so funny. SAME CODE. i had it cleared, put some techron in my tank and it didn't come back
Oh, no, that means it is time for a new AIR check valve. If it is Bank 1 that is driver side, Bank 2 is passenger side. $5-10 part IIRC, just a bitch to replace, those threads are on tight. Remove the hookup from your exhaust (2 bolts and be CAREFUL of the gasket, it IS re-usable) and take the thing and put her in a vice and use a fitting wrech or something. Mine was a pain. Will fix it and after driving it a day or 2 the code will go off (The code is cleared after a while and stored as a DTC, that too is cleared after a while.)
Old 05-04-2007, 05:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BLKWS.6
There is where I bet your issue is. It will be throwing a sensor II bank 1 or II "low sys. voltage" code. This is caused by an exhaust leak RIGHT before your rear O2. A steady SES light is indicative of an emission equipment issue. This is emissions stuff. Look at the one on your pass. side. The condensation from teh AC runs down the exhaust pipe when you stop and the place where the cat/exhaust meet at the rear of the cat is prone to cracking. I bet that is the issue. You may not hear a leak there that could cause this issue. That is RIGHT before an O2 so it doesnt take much.
what i did to check it was take the hose off the check valve and start the car. now it said bank 2, pass side right, well i puit my finger over the check valve and there is nothing coming out it comes out of the hose. so that tells me its the drivers side. was the code wrong or was i.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:15 PM
TECH Regular

Sounds to me like your code was reading wrong, maybe you just need to get it deleted out.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by HIPER-Z
Sounds to me like your code was reading wrong, maybe you just need to get it deleted out.
well it is the check valve i can hear it but its the drivers side.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

P1415 is drivers side, P1416 is passenger side. Take the valve off the car and see if you can blow air through it. Dealers will normally change both air check valves for either code, but not always necessary.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:49 PM
TECH Resident

i just noticed today that the SES light went off, could it have cleared it self up?
Old 05-07-2007, 12:44 PM
12 Second Club

i just noticed today that the SES light went off, could it have cleared it self up?
Yes - probably the valve was just stuck and working again. Might come back, but don't worry until that happens.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

where in mass are you? PM slowhawk and he can delete the air system out of your comp, since you'll be buying headers in the near future.