Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

basic cam question

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 06:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default basic cam question

i have around 76,000 miles on my car, sucks i know but im thinking bout putting a 230/232 cam. my question is since my car is racking up the mileage being a DD is there any supporting parts that i might need to replace like new pushrods,rockers for the new cam?
Old 05-03-2007, 07:16 PM
TECH Resident

Those miles aren't that bad actually but to answer your question yes! Many of the sponsers on this site sell cam packages which include parts that you should always replace when doing a cam swap and not just due to high milage. For example timing chain, pushrods, springs, retainers, valve guides/seals, and an oil pump. There may be 1 or 2 more but that is it for the most part.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vertigo
Those miles aren't that bad actually but to answer your question yes! Many of the sponsers on this site sell cam packages which include parts that you should always replace when doing a cam swap and not just due to high milage. For example timing chain, pushrods, springs, retainers, valve guides/seals, and an oil pump. There may be 1 or 2 more but that is it for the most part.

All the items listed above should be swapped out regardless of milage. A new timing chain and oil pump arnt a "must", but most people like to replace them while its apart.

One thing you did miss to mention were the lifters. Some people decide to replace them, but most dont since it requires pulling the heads. When i did my cam, i decided not to replace the lifters, because im going to be buying some heads in the near future and didnt want to pull the heads twice.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:55 PM
12 Second Club

When my friend did his cam install all he replaced was the valve springs, Pr, timing chain, cam, oil pump o-ring, and crank bolt.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00BlueTA
When my friend did his cam install all he replaced was the valve springs, Pr, timing chain, cam, oil pump o-ring, and crank bolt.
Ops, forgot the crank bolt. That you HAVE to replace, the GM crank bolts are not re-usable.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:02 AM
On The Tree

check...where are some good sites to get a package for some these parts i was looking at texas speed, thunder racing, and lmperformance. anyone have any experience w/ these companies, or you know somethin better i didnt mention.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:06 PM
Launching!

texas speed ???. nothing but praise to them. http://texas-speed.com/shop/item.asp...d=175&catid=49 choose your cam you want. then get a ls6 ported oil pump, gasket kit, and timing chain. Mine was around $1k. Call them and they will walk you through with exactly what you need as well.