New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick intro and first question

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick intro and first question

Hello everyone I got a 2002 Corvette Coupe. It has around 21,xxx miles on it. When I test drove the car etc I didn't notice anything wrong with it with the exception of a semi-rougher idle by my standards. I am an active member on corvetteforums.com. But one problem has me really stumped!!

I have had the car for nearly 2000 miles now and I have noticed a very clear and intermittent engine noise .

I posted about this on the corvette forums and I received a reply that stated that is "normal". But only 1 guy replied so I need to make sure before I poop my pants . I am not a newbie to cars and not mechanically retarded. The most complicated job I ever did was the replacement of headgaskets... so that kinda gives you my mechanical abilities....

I have owned many cars and NONE have made a noise that is similar... It sounds a lot like a pretty loud sewing machine; I know that this may be considered normal. But in my case sometimes the noise is present and most of the time it isn't. And when it is present it is loud enough for passengers to notice and ask me about the car and if it is supposed to sound like that . Is this normal for an LS1? I mean this thing is almost new and pristine, never raced... I would seriously doubt that there are issues on hand here due to abuse.

I have all maintenance records on hand as well .

/end rant
Old 05-29-2007, 01:16 PM
TECH Addict

Sounds like possible valvetrain noise, pull the valve covers and check pushrods and rockers and make sure everything looks good, then go from there. Make sure nothing looks unusually worn.

Good luck and welcome aboard!
Old 05-29-2007, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Theres the standard LS1 piston slap but that pretty much goes away after the car is up to temp.

like said above, check out the top end and make sure everything is snug. if not go on a spending spree and buy me a BOV while your at it.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:34 PM

BOV? As in Blow off Valve? haha. Piston slap is usually in the morning and a deeper sound from what I've heard. This sounds like top-end, and usually more noticable after harder driving and a fully warmed up engine.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:12 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,720 Likes on 1,234 Posts

LS1s are not quiet motors, they tend to have a noisy valvetrain and the sewing machine noise is something typical for most of us.

However, depending on the volume of the noise, there may or may not be something wrong. Is the car a manual trans or automatic? I ask because, with a manual there is a greater possibility of bent pushrods from a missed shift.

Also, is the noise present at all points in the rpm band (idle to redline)? Can you hear it when free revving the motor, or only under load?

Another thing to consider might be the oil. Any idea what oil is in there now (brand and weight)?

Many of us LS1 owners have found that using oils on the heavy side of a 30 weigh or the thin side of a 40 weight (like German Castrol 0W30 or Mobil 1 0W40 and 5W40) seem to be ideal for an LS1 in terms of wear numbers (oil sample tests), engine noise, and consumption rate.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:19 PM

Car is a manual, this noise is ONLY present at idle. And below 1000 rpms.

Oil is Mobil 1 5W30, and filter is Mobil 1 as well.

Under load there is another sound coming from the shifter... only at WOT in 4th gear for example. But I think that is another issue. Engine sounds healthy at WOT. And I have absolutely no oil consumption, I got close to 6.5 quarts out after 5k miles.