New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z28 and Z28 SS. What's the difference.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SS is a bit of an overpriced Z28 with some cosmetic differances. The SS was made appeal to a collector more so than a racer. I dont know why, but when SS graces the fenders of a chevy....people buy it. and chevy knows that. all in all, it will hold value better and longer because it was made to be collected, not raced and dogged on....even though people do buy them for that. Noone is going to tell you what to do with your money, so buy whatever and do whatever with it. But down the road....a z28 will not be near as collectable as an SS, just like a WS6 or even better, a firehawk, will be more collectable than a Trans Am. as far as performance goes....if you are going to dog it....buy the cheapest one you can find. as far as taking care of it and showing it off goes, dont be afraid to go a little overboard....you know? i have my 97 Z28 for racing and i just bought my 01 ws6 because i want to take car of it. i dont want to dog it. and i dont want someone bashing me saying im wrong.....because its just my opinion....im not arguing with anyone....just saying what i think
Old 06-04-2007, 07:47 PM
MJK
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I disagree entirely.

Z28s have a history that lasts decades; while SS is a namplate that has come and gone over the years for the Camaro. Z28 was the top dog Camaro for many, many years before SS came back. Z28 is a nameplate that is reserved for ONLY the Camaro, while SS has been used on dozens of Chevys over the last 40+ years. SS designation has it's own history in the pages of Chevy, but Z28 has a history that's strictly about the Camaro.

IMO, I do not see the SS as anything more special than a Z28. I'm not in the hobby to race as much as I am an F-body fan. I'm more impressed by condition than by the nameplate, and that's why I bought my Z28. Truth is, I would have liked an SS all the same, as I don't find either boring nor do I think one is 'better' than the other.

To assume that all Z28 owners are more about racing than their love of Camaros (or F-bodies in general) is wrong.
Well first of all I am NOT denying the history of the Z28.What I mean when I say that the Z28 is more of a racer's Camaro is that it is and probably will always COST LESS than an SS.Refering to the 4th gens.

I don't see where I said that ALL Z28 owners are more about racing?

And just to clarify...I don't have ANYTHING against Z28s or thier owners.I used to have a 93 LT1 Z28 and LOVED that car.

What I can't stand is when people say that one car "sux" over another just because it costs more for certain reasons yet isn't faster.Thats someone who is looking at it from a racing only angle.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:54 PM
Launching!

I disagree entirely.

Z28s have a history that lasts decades; while SS is a namplate that has come and gone over the years for the Camaro. Z28 was the top dog Camaro for many, many years before SS came back. Z28 is a nameplate that is reserved for ONLY the Camaro, while SS has been used on dozens of Chevys over the last 40+ years. SS designation has it's own history in the pages of Chevy, but Z28 has a history that's strictly about the Camaro.

IMO, I do not see the SS as anything more special than a Z28. I'm not in the hobby to race as much as I am an F-body fan. I'm more impressed by condition than by the nameplate, and that's why I bought my Z28. Truth is, I would have liked an SS all the same, as I don't find either boring nor do I think one is 'better' than the other.

To assume that all Z28 owners are more about racing than their love of Camaros (or F-bodies in general) is wrong.
I agree wholeheartedly. The SS nameplate has been slapped on everything from Impalas to Trailblazers but the Z28 badging means one thing...CAMARO!
Old 06-04-2007, 07:58 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,277 Posts

Originally Posted by MJK
I don't see where I said that ALL Z28 owners are more about racing?
Right here:

Originally Posted by MJK
I say its:

SS=Camaro fans

Z28=A racer's Camaro
Maybe that's not what you meant, but that's the way I read it. If I misunderstood, then I stand corrected.

But either way, I'm one of those F-body fans that doesn't really care if the car is a Z28, a Firehawk, an SS or a Trans Am, WS6, or Formula. What impresses me are clean, well kept F-bodies. They are all equal in my eyes in terms of history and the 'coolness' factor, and although some may be worth more than others, I don't put much importance on that because I don't buy these cars as an investment.

Hell, I'm the guy that went from a WS6 T/A to a Z28. So I clearly don't discriminate.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

SS has a different hood and spoiler.

Oh and the "ram air scoop" adds 500 horsepower
Old 06-04-2007, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Gotta agree with RPM WS6... When u hear SS, U have to ask what kind of ss.. Trail blazer, camaro, Impala, cobolt.. When you say Z28 u know what is intended. No doubt the SS package is a nicer appearance package, but is it worth the extra money? I dont think so, and If i didnt get such a kick *** deal on my SS. I probably would have a Z28 with SS hood and spoiler! I just hate how so many vechicles have SS badges now
Old 06-04-2007, 08:02 PM
Launching!

I actually like the SLP Ultra Z hood.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:03 PM
On The Tree

i agree cobra
Old 06-04-2007, 08:08 PM
MJK
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 560SL
I agree wholeheartedly. The SS nameplate has been slapped on everything from Impalas to Trailblazers but the Z28 badging means one thing...CAMARO!
Well as of late...And thats because GM along with others is dying a slow and painful death.They are trying everything they can.

But in the past the SS name was used on some of the most cherished and sought after cars.So its doesn't exactly lack either.

But again,as of late..I do agree with what you said.

redchevcam:It's only an overprice if the BUYER feels they are not getting what they paid for.Otherwise its exactly what the buyer wants and is willing to pay for so,it isn't overpriced.

Many people believe a GMMG CB is overpriced Vs a Magnaflow CB...Does that make the GMMG not worth buying?I'n sure there are MANY GMMG fans on here that will say it IS worth buying.

And no,I'm not bashing on you...I liked your statement and appreciate it and the fact that you were not insulting or rude as many people are on the board...(But the "overpriced Z28" did make me quirk an eye brow!! )
Old 06-04-2007, 08:09 PM
11 Second Club

About the Z28 only being for a Camaro and SS applying to many cars, all SS Camaros are already Z28s

But yea, stock for stock without SLP options, they're the same power wise and the best advice I could give you about what mod to perform on your car is to do as much research on this site as you possibly can. You will be glad that you did.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:17 PM
MJK
TECH Resident

Right here:

Maybe that's not what you meant, but that's the way I read it. If I misunderstood, then I stand corrected.

But either way, I'm one of those F-body fans that doesn't really care if the car is a Z28, a Firehawk, an SS or a Trans Am, WS6, or Formula. What impresses me are clean, well kept F-bodies. They are all equal in my eyes in terms of history and the 'coolness' factor, and although some may be worth more than others, I don't put much importance on that because I don't buy these cars as an investment.

Hell, I'm the guy that went from a WS6 T/A to a Z28. So I clearly don't discriminate.

Ahhhhh I see...Well like I said,I don't mean ALL Z28 owners by that statement.Z28=a Racer's Camaro is purely based on it being a more affordable Camaro than the SS.Not that ALL Z28 owner's are only into racing and track numbers.Sorry if it came off that way.

As for everything else you said...Dude,we could hang with a beer or two!

I like them all as well...Have owned 4th gens and 2nd gens mainly but love them all.Especially well kept ones.

Sorry for any offense taken.Was not the intention.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:23 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by MJK
Ahhhhh I see...Well like I said,I don't mean ALL Z28 owners by that statement.Z28=a Racer's Camaro is purely based on it being a more affordable Camaro than the SS.Not that ALL Z28 owner's are only into racing and track numbers.Sorry if it came off that way.

As for everything else you said...Dude,we could hang with a beer or two!

I like them all as well...Have owned 4th gens and 2nd gens mainly but love them all.Especially well kept ones.

Sorry for any offense taken.Was not the intention.
No problem man.

And I love 'em all too. I've had 3rd gens, 4th gens, Camaros, Formula, Trans Am, etc. ALL great & cool cars, IMO.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:26 PM
Teching In

i have to through my opion in here too. I bought an 02 SS camaro i will put pic up in a couple of days. the reason i decided to buy the SS over a Z28 was strickly because not only do i want my car to be fast but i want it to look good too. So by spending a little now saves me money in having to buy stuff for my Car to look better. to me the Z28 is just to plain. I see people spending a couple thousand dollars trying to get there car to look like a SS camaro. why is that??????? because it looks so much better then a Z28. Yes the SS camaro will hold its value better but like other people have said unless SLP got a hold of it it has the same power as a Z28. My camaro came with the SLP lid And cat back. It dynoed 310 rwhp 317 rwtq bone stock which is not bad but the same day i also watched a stock Z28 pull down 321 rwhp and i cant reamaber the torque but it was more then mine too. now to finish this up i love camaro's period. i dont care if you drive a Z28 or SS im just gald that you have the same love that i do.

chris
Old 06-04-2007, 08:32 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by baker7902
I see people spending a couple thousand dollars trying to get there car to look like a SS camaro. why is that??????? because it looks so much better then a Z28.
I agree that the SS wheels look MUCH better (that's why I bought them), but the hood and spoiler I could honestly go either way. Neither looks better or worse, IMO.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by baker7902
to me the Z28 is just to plain. I see people spending a couple thousand dollars trying to get there car to look like a SS camaro. why is that???????

chris
you can make a z28 look like like an SS for WAY LESS than a couple thousand. and for all you SS collectors, didnt chevrolet sell more SS camaros than z28s 99-02? i heard 98 was the exception...hell of a collectors item if you ask me...
Old 06-05-2007, 12:46 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by spy2520
you can make a z28 look like like an SS for WAY LESS than a couple thousand. and for all you SS collectors, didnt chevrolet sell more SS camaros than z28s 99-02? i heard 98 was the exception...hell of a collectors item if you ask me...
I remember hearing that about late model Trans Am WS6s actually being more common than the "regular" Trans Ams but I'm not sure about Camaros to be honest with you.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

ss's have little to no power gain over a z28, i bought the ss becuase it looked cool, z28s can inflict just as much pain to a rice burner as an ss can
Old 06-05-2007, 01:05 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 02 Camaro SS
About the Z28 only being for a Camaro and SS applying to many cars, all SS Camaros are already Z28s
Thats what I was going to say. The "SS" has been thrown on everything argument isnt really valid because and SS is also a Z28, but not the other way around.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I disagree entirely.

I agree entirely.

Both designations have a lot of history, and as we all know it relates very little to the modern cars actual performance.

This isn't about to happen(I'm sure the 5th Gen will have an SS option), but if Chevy wasn't all about the "SS" name for marketing right now, current SS's would get only a little more respect than IROC-Z's VS 3rd Gen Z/28's... I know that won't sit well with many, but I'm not looking 40+ years into future, I'm talking over the next 10-20 years.

In any event, I'm a huge Camaro fan, but to me the 4th gens, while the fastest, best all around performance vehicle of the bunch, I think they are the least interesting/collectable(which is why anyone cares about SS VS Z/28 when there is next to no performance difference), and I'll just drive it for what it is, an underappreciated, overperforming, modern anachronism.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MJK
Same power but not the same car.

Then there are people who are racing/HP purists and live to race.I can repsect that as well.They look at the SS and think that it should be much faster than a Z28,when they find out that it isn't,it becomes a waste of money in thier eyes.

I also notice that the 2nd of the two types of owners tend to jump to whatever they can afford and is faster.As in when finances allow,they usually jump to the next step in performance,a Corvette or better for instance.

Not saying that is a wrong thing but,it does show me that the 1st type of owner is usually a bigger fan of the Camaro and is usually the guy (or girl) that just HAD to fork over the extra cash to get a numbers matching SS.

I say its:

SS=Camaro fans

Z28=A racer's Camaro

Just my opinion...
I have to agree with this. I am far from a Camaro purist...heck, I've not even brand-loyal. I buy cost-effective speed and the LS1 Z28 is the biggest bang-for-buck since the 5.0 Mustang (I've owned two of those...don't shoot me). Not to mention that I'm not ruining a "collectable" car by modifying my Z28. I love my Z28 for what it is, not for what badge is on the fender.

Quick Reply: Z28 and Z28 SS. What's the difference.