Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 12:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery

I purchased this car with 54,000 miles on the clock and its pretty clean. I was detailing the engine yesterday and noticed that at one time, the battery had leaked and corroded the metal underneath (rust).

I did some searches on here and found that the OEM battery had a tendency to leak. The battery in the car now is leak-free. However, should I be concerned with the surface corrosion?

Also, any tips for cleaning the area would be appreciated. Thank you!
Old 06-25-2007, 12:38 PM
TECH Addict

If its rust then get some of that "rust to primer" spray paint so that the rust wont eat through any more of the metal, and I would take some baking soda and water and pour it on the tray to neutralize (sp) any remaining acid if there is any
Old 06-25-2007, 12:45 PM
On The Tree

I'll do that this afternoon.

I have to say, this is my first used car, and its driving me nuts! While the car was well-maintained, half of this stuff never would have happened if I owned the car new. Call me ****, but how somebody could let a battery leak and not do anything is beyond me lol.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:45 PM
Launching!

If you want, you could pull the battery in it now and flush the area where the acid leaked with baking soda and water, if acid is present, the solution will "fizz". Just be sure to rinse all the baking soda/water solution away when you're done. Then dry, remove any rust and ruined paint, prime, and paint, spray paint is fine, or if you want overkill, contact the guys at POR15, they have some pretty stout coatings. Also, it's likely that the battery acid dripped onto the sway bar bushing, so check that spot out for corrosion too. If you're still worried about the battery, buy an Optima
Old 06-25-2007, 12:46 PM
Launching!

Looks like I said the thing, that's what I get for walking away from the computer while having the thread open :duh:
Old 06-25-2007, 12:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rd_ls1_z
If you want, you could pull the battery in it now and flush the area where the acid leaked with baking soda and water, if acid is present, the solution will "fizz". Just be sure to rinse all the baking soda/water solution away when you're done. Then dry, remove any rust and ruined paint, prime, and paint, spray paint is fine, or if you want overkill, contact the guys at POR15, they have some pretty stout coatings. Also, it's likely that the battery acid dripped onto the sway bar bushing, so check that spot out for corrosion too. If you're still worried about the battery, buy an Optima
Should I scrape the surface and mechanically remove the rust? Also, what brand of primer and spray paint would you recommend?
Old 06-25-2007, 01:04 PM
Launching!

A good sanding with, I guess, 400 grit should work, or maybe that rust to primer stuff (I haven't tried) to get rid of, or seal, the rust. If you were feeling adventurous or had more rusty things to clean up, POR15 (Paint-Over-Rust) is easy and strong, just paint on, dry, paint with color. Since you can't really see that area, just some Duplicolor primer and paint to match the car.