Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Proper Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 10:43 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proper Shifting

Ok, so there are so many times on here that people talk about a race was won because someone wasn't shifting properly or that some people shouldn't drive a M6 because they don't know how to shift. My question is what exactly is the proper way to shift so that you are getting the most out of your car. I mean, I have driven vehicles with manual transmissions for a long time, so I thought I knew what I was doing, and I thought I could run through the gears pretty good............but what is "The Proper Way" to shift when you are racing someone??? Someone please shed some light on this for me
Old 06-28-2007, 10:45 AM
TECH Addict

When people say that its usually cause people are taking way too long to shift gears or are missing gears. To get the most outta it you should powershift, but it is rougher on the car.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:47 AM
Staging Lane

When you say "Power Shift" do you just mean nail the gear with as little clutch time as possible??
Old 06-28-2007, 10:51 AM
TECH Junkie

basically...

another thing that affects how "good" of a shifter a person is...is the timing of the shift.
shifting too soon, hitting the limiter...things like that can slow you down too.

i always list a shift light as a good "first mod" for anyone buying a manual. for the $50-75 it costs, it will make you a much more consistent racer. with adrenaline pumping...its easy to miss the proper shift point.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:54 AM
TECH Regular

He means bang through the gears without letting off the gas. Get yourself a nice short throw shifter/shift light and get good at speed shifts and you won't have to abuse your car by doing this.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:54 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JUSTONY
When you say "Power Shift" do you just mean nail the gear with as little clutch time as possible??
It means you stay on the gas
Old 06-28-2007, 10:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

This is kinda off the subject I have a automatic, a guy that owns a transmission shop told me that I should use just my regular drive when I am in the city just driving around and use my OD only on long trips it will help me save alot of gas is this true. I noticed the regular D give me a better take off.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:02 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by blackmaro99
He means bang through the gears without letting off the gas. Get yourself a nice short throw shifter/shift light and get good at speed shifts and you won't have to abuse your car by doing this.

I just installed a new B&M Ripper, cause I absolutely hated the stock shifter.

So you don't let of the gas at all or just as little as possible???
Old 06-28-2007, 11:14 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JUSTONY
I just installed a new B&M Ripper, cause I absolutely hated the stock shifter.

So you don't let of the gas at all or just as little as possible???
Yep that's the idea, just don't rape your rev limiter between shifts. My advice is to get a shift light and go practice speed shifting instead, but to each his own.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

powershifting is when you keep your foot planted while shifting, but still using the clutch. your car will absolutely hate you for it.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:26 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by landstuhltaylor
powershifting is when you keep your foot planted while shifting, but still using the clutch. your car will absolutely hate you for it.
Yea, for the average person just going out to the track for some fun, powershifting isnt worth the damage it will do to your driveline. Just let off the gas a bit when you shift and shift quickly and you will be good
Old 06-29-2007, 03:46 PM
Launching!

Never lift, Just shift
Old 06-29-2007, 06:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChevyRyda99LS1
This is kinda off the subject I have a automatic, a guy that owns a transmission shop told me that I should use just my regular drive when I am in the city just driving around and use my OD only on long trips it will help me save alot of gas is this true. I noticed the regular D give me a better take off.
I've heard people say stuff like this, and seen some people use this technique, personally I think it is complete bs. All using D or 3 instead of OD or 4 does is lock out 4th gear. It will still use gears 1-3 as it normally would. Any time you prevent the car from using a higher gear when it wants to will hurt gas mileage. I don't see how it could possibly help. As for the car feeling faster taking off in D, I think you are probably imagining that. Unless there is some system at work that I am not aware of.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:45 PM
9 Second Club

if you powershift the car, be perpared to break something! lol just did and just got the car back from warrenty and it cost them 3k! lol

althogh i did trap 110 in 80 degree heat with a stock car! lol
Old 07-02-2007, 11:36 AM
TECH Veteran

I have seen professionals drive a car while shifting quickly and amatuers get in the same car shift it regular and get a better ET. There is balance in everything.