Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

taking my car to speed

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicago Camaro
If I crack the 12s alone, I'll be real happy.
I would have to live awhile with em for awhile, until I get that money for that trans/ rear end package.
When I first bought the car, My ole neighbor from my old block who's also happens to be into Camaros (owns a few third gens, owned a few other previous gens) took one look at my exaust and said it was very restricted. For some reason, they took off the second tube from the cat, and still kept the stock mids. He was hoping that I would go with a borla cat back system with two exit tips.... but I was thinking bigger and badder..
heck yeah.. those headers will be one wicked setup. Good LT headers and a tune will pick up 25+ hp easily. the car should pull very hard in the high RPM range. 12's are very easy to crack in LS1 f-bodies. my initial goal was to crack 12's and still drive my car daily when I got my car but that was incredibly easy so I change the goal to 11.99 and still daily drive the car.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:20 AM
Teching In

Exclamation Update

Alright folks, I dropped it off on saturday, and it was on the lift today. I got a call about a few things. While removing the original header manifolds, a bolt broke and went into the engine. I'm thinking: OH S#!+. Is that going to be anything major?
While doing tune, they discovered that the original spark plugs were still in there(never had time to replace them). I was going to go with the magnaflow muffler for quieter sound, but unfortunately when they ordered them, the company shiped the wrong mufflers, so they're sticking on bullets. What bullets does Speed inc. use? and should I be really worried like I am right now? I'm going to call tommorow
Old 07-10-2007, 11:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

KOOKs does make some of the best headers i would not go bigger than 1 3/4 though for your combo you have a vary long way to go before you need any bigger primaries ,ask the guys at SPEED INC. they are very knowlegdable and have built some wicked cars,i still am running 1 3/4 with my 402 and i ran an 11.32@124MPH with a bad pump in my Turbo 400 ,so 1 3/4 isnt that much of a restriction,good luck.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Chicago Camaro
Alright folks, I dropped it off on saturday, and it was on the lift today. I got a call about a few things. While removing the original header manifolds, a bolt broke and went into the engine. I'm thinking: OH S#!+. Is that going to be anything major?
While doing tune, they discovered that the original spark plugs were still in there(never had time to replace them). I was going to go with the magnaflow muffler for quieter sound, but unfortunately when they ordered them, the company shiped the wrong mufflers, so they're sticking on bullets. What bullets does Speed inc. use? and should I be really worried like I am right now? I'm going to call tommorow
Bullets are going to be loud.....
Old 07-11-2007, 09:25 PM
Teching In

Talking got the car back today

Things worked out well! The car drives with a little more pickup and it drives mean(and by mean I mean loud!), and I can't wait for the next mod. Unfortunately the money situation is going to hold me for a while. I'm going to go with that transmission deally, but for now I've got sit back and let the money pile up.

The only thing that seems to rattle is the center console, The mufflers I got instead of the magnaflows were the magnum bullets. I love the loud sound, but if I could find that rattle I would shoot it.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Very cool! Speed does good work so no reason to get worried. If you do get nervous just email Larry. I actually saw them cleaning up your car when I stopped in there this morning. Your car looks good! Just wait until you get the trans and stall. It literally makes more difference than all the usual bolt ons combined.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:55 AM
TECH Regular

I went from 13.4 @ 106 to 13.0 flat @ 108 after LT's and a ghetto tune. I didn't hook very well in either case. 2.1-.2 60's.

TCI 3500, shift kit, cooler and girdle arriving slowly until Monday. Once that all goes in, I shouldn't be close to 12's, but in them consistently >)
Old 07-13-2007, 02:28 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sixvi6-camaro
Very cool! Speed does good work so no reason to get worried. If you do get nervous just email Larry. I actually saw them cleaning up your car when I stopped in there this morning. Your car looks good! Just wait until you get the trans and stall. It literally makes more difference than all the usual bolt ons combined.
so trans and stall should be next... I'll probly get the 12 bolt rear, gears, and drive shaft later...... or should I work on the rear first?
Old 07-13-2007, 02:56 AM
Launching!

wait wait what happened to the broken bolt we wanna know! as for your center console raddling join the club all ive got is a cut-out and mine rattles
Old 07-13-2007, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

With an A4 it won't hurt to wait. I ran a bunch of 12.7's and 1.6-1.7 60's on Et street Bias ply's on the 3600 stall in my car on the a 2.73 rearend. A4s don't shock the rearend like the M6 cars do so the 10 bolt will hold up well.

Generally If you only go to the track a few times a year and have just bolt on's the 10 bolt is fine. If you go with heads/cam or are going to be taking the car to the strip regular basis 12 bolt would be a good idea. Of course if you are going with a silly power setup to run in single digit times a 9" would be the best bet.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by supersickss
wait wait what happened to the broken bolt we wanna know! as for your center console raddling join the club all ive got is a cut-out and mine rattles
ahh they said the broken bolt wouldn't be a problem, in fact they said it was broken to begin with, as if someone tried to do the mod themselves but gave up. Lately there's been a little clicking noise happening when a car revs up from a roll. I'm trying to pin that down, and hope it will go away. Otherwise I got to save.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:32 PM
Teching In

I posted some pics of the new header exhaust set uphttps://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...8&page=7&pp=20
As for that sound, I had a look in the bay and reved it, it doesn't seem to make the rattle unless it's moving in a higher gear (most likely when I rev it fast). Is it a leak? I doubt it since it doesn't make a sound in a stand still. Could the manifold be rubbing against something? Could it be a spark plug thing?