Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

remote fan turn on/off

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 12:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default remote fan turn on/off

I want to be able to turn my fans on sooner and in between runs at he drag strip. What is invloved here and if any one has done this and can walk me through it that would be great. Thanks!!!!
Old 08-13-2007, 01:12 PM
On The Tree

I just did this mod on my 98 this week-end. Works great.
http://www.xious.com/camaro/install-fanswitch.html

Pay attention to which side of a LED you hook up resistor with 12V. I made a mistake and couldn't figure out why the LEDs didn't work.

Simple mod, I put the switch under the cig lighter.

Regards!
Old 08-15-2007, 12:29 AM
On The Tree

i went with the slp fan controller and just installed it today it was very easy and works very nice the hardest part was routing the wire into the car and finding a spot to mount the switch! good luck! and the slp directions were very good!
Old 08-15-2007, 09:52 AM
On The Tree

enos44,
Can you do me a favor and check if SLP uses any diode or resistor on the switch to ground connection or PCM wires to the switch (besides the 500ohm ones that go between the LEDs and 12V switched sourse)?

What's happening with mine is that if I use a low fan speed settings my PCM throws a P0841/P0840 code (fan relay circuit 1). I saw a lot of posts on the Dodge forum where people also install the manual fan switch with the same PCM CEL. There they install a 55 Ohm resistor on the ground connection. I think there should be a diode on both fan wires (blue H, green J) from the PCM to the switch.

I'd appprecite it. Thanks.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:18 AM
12 Second Club

If you want the fans to turn on sooner automatically, I believe you need to reprogram the pcm for that. Then just get a switch to turn them on between runs.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:09 PM
On The Tree

95fbird, here is a better diagram which shows additional resistors to keep PCM happy:
http://shbox.com/1/fan_sw_diagram2.jpg
Old 08-16-2007, 10:46 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by enos44
i went with the slp fan controller and just installed it today it was very easy and works very nice the hardest part was routing the wire into the car and finding a spot to mount the switch! good luck! and the slp directions were very good!
^^^^yep. Very easy to hook up, very hard to reach the firewall. (I'm not a small guy)
Old 08-17-2007, 07:47 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by darom
I just did this mod on my 98 this week-end. Works great.
http://www.xious.com/camaro/install-fanswitch.html
Thanks for this Link it saves me from buying over priced crap from SLP.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:52 AM
11 Second Club

I installed this setup today. It wasn't hard and it works perfect. I highly recomend this too anyone who likes to be able to cool your car at the staging lanes. I ran it hidden into my ash tray. I didn't use an LED nore did I set it up for the Low Fan. I just hooked it up straight to the High Fan with a push on push off switch. It cost me a total of $7
Old 08-20-2007, 11:06 AM
On The Tree

Cool, I like the LEDs since I don't want to forget to manually turn off the fans, since they will run with the ignition key off (my wife also drives the car).
Old 08-20-2007, 11:52 AM
11 Second Club

I was originally using an LED but couldn't get it to work properly. The switch I had was pre built from home depot so I couln't take it apart to connect ground for my LED. I needed a different switch, so I decided to go without it. The only time I'll use it is at the track. I also didn't care to hook up the switch to the low fan. The whole install took about 2 hours from start to finish with the help of a buddy to do the soldering/wiring since ive never soldered before. It could have been done in less than an hour if it didn't take us so long to figuire out why the LED wasn't working. Either way I made it work so I'm happy

Quick Reply: remote fan turn on/off