Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 12:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ls1sounds.com
Old 09-21-2007, 12:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

1. you need to know that the TSP duals that everyone is talkign about are dumped, they do not go all the way out the rear of the car.
2. don't listen to black mamba, he's being an idiot.

Black mamba, what the heck do you mean don't bring bassani into this? IT showed a HUGE gain over a catback system and you don't like being proven wrong? Not to mention the bassani system is only 2.5 in ch duals rather than 3" and it STILL made a big gain over the catback system. And how are the best sounding "true dual" setups done through a catback? that doesn't make any sense at all.

3. catbacks generally have rasp that duals generally don't, period.

I got my custom 2.5" over the axle duals done for $300 including the price of the 1 chamber flows.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also, when I switched to the TSP duals, I gained a bunch of low end and mid range, with a little top end. I think because of the x pipe. My car accelerates much better from lights now
Old 09-21-2007, 08:36 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, i love my dual set-up. I had flowmaster 80 series cat back on it before. It sounded pretty good, but the duals sound sick (in my opinion at least). I have come aross a few people that don't like the sound. But, who cares, get what you want. The power gains over the flowmaster are rediculous. So much more power through the entire rpm range.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:57 PM
11 Second Club

I'm not a big fan of dumbs, it is crazy loud in the car and has a bit of a drone compared to the snappy sound if you get it all the way back. The TSP dumps look like good quality exhaust for what they are though. I'd prolly get them for a weekend/track car if I couldn't find a shop to do it out the back for cheaper.
Old 09-22-2007, 03:07 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LrngCrv
I'm not a big fan of dumbs, it is crazy loud in the car and has a bit of a drone compared to the snappy sound if you get it all the way back. The TSP dumps look like good quality exhaust for what they are though. I'd prolly get them for a weekend/track car if I couldn't find a shop to do it out the back for cheaper.
My custom ORX 3" with flowpro twisters wasn't crazy loud.
It gave me eargasms though every time that cam thumped.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

id do a custom TD's..its going to work out a lot cheaper
Old 09-22-2007, 08:28 AM
Launching!

i LOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVE my tsp duals and get tons of compliments. It's also a good was to scare the dick head that just cut you off by dopping down 2 gears and punching it.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:45 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by The Black Mamba
Have you actually heard these? My friend put them on 99 SS. He had longtubes too btw. It sounded like crap. They didn't have any tone, just loud. I was always reading good things about them when I look on here, but when I heard them in person, I was utterly amazed how bad they sounded. If you just want a car that's louder than hell, has absolutely no tone, and don't care about looks, then get them. Otherwise, get a catback, it will sound better, and hey, you'll only lose about 2-3 peak WHP...

You can also consider a cutout. They sound about the same...
Sound opinions are relative and also depend greatly on the muffler selection. Texas Speed and Performance offers three choices for mufflers with the rumbler true dual system: Dynomax Bullers, Sweet Thunder and Moroso Spiral Flows. They all sound distinctly different.

I have the Sweet Thunder and it sounds amazing at idle, part throttle, when cruising, when punching it, etc. It also isn't as loud as the straight-thru bullets (at least until WOT) which can give some people headaches on long trips. I've had my car at wide open throttle next to another LS1-powered 4th Gen. Z28 with the Texas Speed true dual system with bullet mufflers. You could not tell the difference at wide open throttle, however at part throttle and idle it was almost too loud with the bullets for my tastes.

The chambered Sweet Thunder mufflers as well as the Moroso Spiral Flows may restrict some flow, but in the end I think it is a great trade-off of sound vs. power for someone who drives their car on the street. I only drive mine about 4000 miles per year and haven't regretted my decision of exhaust yet. I'm sure I will enjoy it even more once I have a camshaft swap done this coming spring.

My full bolt-on car makes consistently 8-10 RWHP more than similar bolt-on cars that were on the same local dyno. That is with the Sweet Thunder chambered mufflers. I'm sure power output would be a little bit more with the straight-thru bullet mufflers. Once I get into more serious, the gains over a traditional y-pipe and catback set-up will be more.

Please at least know what you are talking about before badmouthing a product that is generally accepted in the LS1 community to be one of the most affordable and best sounding ways to put a true dual system on one's car that will bolt right up.

Last edited by chae; 04-30-2009 at 10:58 PM.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

I got the TSP Rumblers w/ spiral flows and i love it. w/ my pacesetter LTs and this i think the total came out to 900 and i was able to get it all in with the help of my dad over the weekend. The TDs fit nicely, it just takes some time making sure everythings angled properly and tucked as high as it will go. Some people say its too loud in the cab but i can drive for hours and not have it bother me. Everyone who drives behind my says it smells like raw fuel though (no cats) but i have never noticed it. Either way i'm perfectly happy with it and am not changin it.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:00 AM
Launching!

well i decided to get custom made true dual x pipes
any idea on a price range

and if anyone has got custom true duals
show some pics plz
Old 09-23-2007, 12:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm becoming more interested. I think this may come after an engagement ring....
Old 09-23-2007, 01:05 AM
11 Second Club

I've had a few custom TD setups done. There is a few options from what I have tried and what I thought of it:

1. Dumps before the axle - easiest and cheapest to find a shop to do and works for almost any application but will net you some added drone and exhaust noise inside the car

2. Out the back and under the axle - pretty easy setup and doesn't have the added sound inside the car, sounds great outside the car to not have the exhaust spitting at the ground, horrible if you work on your car a lot, you will get sick of removing your exhaust everytime you put your car on a lift (your rear end will drop down on the exhaust, let it sit on the exhaust if you want a cracked header, it happened to me once)

3. Out the back and over the axle - the best choice in my opinion, gives the best sound in and out of the car and looks better, hard to do on lowered cars but F-bodies are for drag racing not to look cool at pimp my ride conventions, easiest route is both pipes going over the passenger side over the axle and splitting back out after, I have seen some that were over both sides though, never had a car like that yet
Old 09-23-2007, 02:31 AM
Launching!

I've had a few custom TD setups done. There is a few options from what I have tried and what I thought of it:

1. Dumps before the axle - easiest and cheapest to find a shop to do and works for almost any application but will net you some added drone and exhaust noise inside the car

2. Out the back and under the axle - pretty easy setup and doesn't have the added sound inside the car, sounds great outside the car to not have the exhaust spitting at the ground, horrible if you work on your car a lot, you will get sick of removing your exhaust everytime you put your car on a lift (your rear end will drop down on the exhaust, let it sit on the exhaust if you want a cracked header, it happened to me once)

3. Out the back and over the axle - the best choice in my opinion, gives the best sound in and out of the car and looks better, hard to do on lowered cars but F-bodies are for drag racing not to look cool at pimp my ride conventions, easiest route is both pipes going over the passenger side over the axle and splitting back out after, I have seen some that were over both sides though, never had a car like that yet
thanks dude!!!!!!!!
ima going to do the over the axles setup
do you know of a price range, or does it jus vary from each muffler shop
Old 09-23-2007, 04:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I got mine for $300
Some shops charge $1000

shop around
Old 09-23-2007, 12:34 PM

jesus digs camaros! <-he rides a harley too!
Old 09-25-2007, 08:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

this was kind of touched on but not really clear...do the TSP TD's create more power then an ory to catback setup??
Old 09-25-2007, 09:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

yes- althought maybe not by much depending on what size piping u use, and how restrictive your catback is. In most cases it will though, if not all.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Like I said above, I gained alot of low end and mid range with some upper range power with my TSP duals. The car accelerates much more fiercly now. My previous setup up was about the best flowing y pipe setup you can get, I had an ORY and loudmouth1. pretty much straight through. But the duals accelerate much better. No dyno numbers though.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:36 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by The Black Mamba
Anything like that has to be a custom setup. You will be looking at probably 800+ easily if you have a shop do it.

ive seen over the axle 2.5's for 400ish out here...i'm going tsp tho, maybe later have the back half added for looks, but i aint really into looks