Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is my oil pressure so low?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 10:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Why is my oil pressure so low?

Well I got the car not too too long ago and there is a few things I'm relly getting sick of.

Well first of all my oil pressure is very low, like 19 psi when I am just putzing around, it used to stay at 30-40. WOT it goes up high though.

Also when taking off from a stop if I just slowly lay into it to stay in first for little while, it seems like at 2500 rpm and a few other spots it feels like I go through a small puddle, like it drags for a second.

I also think it has a slight misfire, I can't figure out why or from what. Just seems like it idles odd. All my lights pulsate slightly with the idle as well. That's annoying. Voltage is fine though.

Also, on WOT run, a bunch of smoke pours out of my exhaust and a nice big cloud on the shifts. WTF? I am untuned though with LT's, and cat-less TSP true duals.

When I am doing say, 60...and I left off the gas, it won't cost good. From any speed actually. It feels like the car is in third instead of overdrive. It will drag me down from speed kind of quick instead of coasting nice. There is also a slight squeak like brakes but not brakes when it's decelerating. It just feels like the engine is dragging the speed down. If I put it in neutral it will coast nicely though.
**This guys same problem..https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/793654-why-does-happen.html **

Any thoughts on any of this? No SES light either.

Dan
Old 10-08-2007, 10:49 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,213 Posts

How many miles on the car?

- Low oil pressure.... first thing is first, hows the oil level? Full on the dipstick? If so, I'd next get the sending unit checked to make sure it's giving the correct reading. Your pressure might still be just as high as before, but the sending unit may not be reporting it properly. Check that before you become concerned with internal engine issues.

- Misfires/poor idle. Could be LOTS of things. Aging O2 sensors, dirty plugs, bad plug wires, dirty fuel filter, clogged injectors, dirty MAF, etc. Is the car hard to get running on a cold start? Might be fuel pump as well if cold starts are hard. I'd start with a tune-up, including new plugs (and possibily wires depending on mileage), fresh fluids & filters, some injector detergent, possibily a full Seafoam treatment (depending on just how bad the idle is, read Seafoam stickey in the General Maintenance section for more details), maybe even new O2 sensors if it's got really high mileage, and carefully clean the MAF. Then see how it runs.

- Trans issues. Checked the fluid color/condition/level? Is it full? Is the fluid dirty, or have shavings, or smell burnt? If shavings or metallic dust is present, your trans may be on the way out, if it's just dirty I'd change that as well. Your shifting issues might also be due to the engine issues. Misfires will cause the TC to unlock at steady cruise, and a dirty MAF can cause trans shifting weirdness as well, so I'd try to get the engine running properly first before worrying too much about the trans.

- Smoke out the exhaust. One of a few things, either it's coolant, oil, or soot from running rich. If the oil and coolant levels always look good, then it's likely from running a bit rich.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:04 PM
On The Tree

138,000 miles. New plugs. But that was before I changed a bad rear drivers side 02. Plugs were mad black when changed. It's been seafoamed(before new plugs). And I cleaned the MAF with carb cleaner spray.

I will check the trans fluid level. Oil level is fine. It was fine till one night I gave the car a 0-100, and a 0-60 run and the SES light came on and went away.

It has NO trouble ever starting. Fires IMMEDIATELY. Idles fine, but not like I think it should you know? Like with the light pulsation.

I haven't changed the spark plug wires, or the fuel filter.

I ran seafoam through the gas and injector cleaner through the gas at the next oil change 3000 miles later. I also through in some of that "Restore" 8 cylinder formula engine restorer.

Personally I did think the slight misfire was causing the trans drag. I think I should just do plug wires and fuel filter and go from there. I just didn't wanna stab in the dark.

Dan
Old 10-09-2007, 12:02 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would say get that fuel filter changed immediatly!!! that can be one cause. and also dont ever use carb cleaner on the maf!!! that is wayy to harmful, thats why they came out with a special MAF cleaner pay a few bucks more for the real stuff its not worth screwing up something that will cost u extra money
Old 10-09-2007, 12:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

When I am doing say, 60...and I left off the gas, it won't cost good. From any speed actually. It feels like the car is in third instead of overdrive. It will drag me down from speed kind of quick instead of coasting nice. There is also a slight squeak like brakes but not brakes when it's decelerating. It just feels like the engine is dragging the speed down. If I put it in neutral it will coast nicely though.

You may want to check your e-brake cable for drag or ect.

Quick Reply: Why is my oil pressure so low?