New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K & N Air filter VS. Paper Air Filter ?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 10:36 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,717 Likes on 1,232 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon5212
Did this test show any negatives against engine longevity? I use a K&N and I don't see any gains in using it, but what are the drawbacks? Is my motor going to blow up because I used a K&N filter?
Well, more dirt in the oil is always a negative, but it's not enough to cause your engine to blow up right away. Just more wear over time. I had a K&N years back, until Patman used these facts to convince me otherwise.

Point is, there are no real world power gains to using a K&N on the stock-style LS1 intake setup, so why risk the increase in wear? That's why I just stick with paper. Not to mention having to clean & oil a filter isn't fun. Guess I'm lazy.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok well thats all good. My car came with on in it from the previous owner... I'll probably just keep it and use a cleaning kit once in a great while. Guess its really just people's preference. I see no need to chuck it into the trash and go the "paper" route, I might but then again I might not. Thanks Guys.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:20 AM
Launching!

absolutely not. i have seen print outs of dyno sheets with a paper airfilter and a k&N filter and if i remember correctly it was only like a 1 hp gain to the motor. i personally ran a K&N filter just becuase i could reuse it. but one thing you MUST keep in mind is not to over oil them when you reuse them, as you can damage your MAF sensor from the oil. when i cleaned my filter i would run a paper one for a couple days while my K&N sat in the garage drying from the cleaning and oiling. i would only buy one due to the fact you can reuse it and its made from good quality. but i wouldnt go to the store and buy one in hopes of noticing a difference at wot.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:22 AM
Launching!

to also add, there was a whole write up on this website where the guy actaully gained power with the paper filter compared to the K&N. its just personal preference. and when you see the tests at advance auto parts or the parts stores, dont beleive that gimmick for a second, the company prolly made the paper filter and made it super restrictive to make there filter look better.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:20 PM
Launching!

I just switched back to a paper filter because my K&N was a bitch to keep clean. I don't think it added any more or less hp to my six. Waste of money.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:47 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the bottom line here is this:

The only advantage to a k&n filter is extended life. The only downside to the k&n is the oil getting on the maf. Pick whatever works best for you.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:15 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Starion
The only downside to the k&n is the oil getting on the maf.
And more dirt getting into your engine.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:57 PM
12 Second Club

My car came with a K&N, but when it gets all dirty I'm not even going to bother cleaning it. I'm just gonna chuck it and get a paper one.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:50 PM
Jedi Master

Considering a GTO paper filter is $40, the K&N has already paid for itself for me.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:56 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Gh0st
Considering a GTO paper filter is $40

Holy ****!

Why? Is it lined with gold?
Old 11-13-2007, 07:05 PM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have switched back to paper filter as well. I feel better that my car is sucking cleaner air.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Paper filters do a much better job of filtering air.

Back to back oil tests have shown this, with higher silicon (dirt) content when K&N type filters are used.

Paper for me, since K&N offers no real world power gains in an LS1 style intake setup, and offers lesser filtering abilities.
Add to that it's a bitch to keep clean and that you might get oil on your MAF. I just can't help but think that after it's "cleaned" its still riddled with micro clogs everywhere.

Paper for me too.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:58 AM
Teching In

Heh. I got a used K&N from the classifieds for $35, used it for 3 months and dyno testing and sold it for $35. Some folks really love the K&Ns, but I think they are weak on the LS1 F-bodys...
Old 11-17-2007, 10:54 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use a paper filter on my car.

Will a K&N flow more air? Definitely, but there's no power to be had on a stock vehicle?

Why? Because the air filter isn't the bottleneck in the system. A high-flow air filter is only going to free up horsepower if it's a bottleneck in the system. I'm sure at a certain point, it would be a bottleneck, perhaps with a big H/C or an FI setup, but unless you require more air than the stock paper filter can provide, it's not going to help you.

Since I just have a bolt-on car, I stick with the paper filter because the K&N filters very poorly by comparison. I simply don't need a K&N filter, and neither does the vast majority of people on this site. Unless you're making serious horsepower over stock, you're not going to need the K&N. If you start getting into the 500 bhp level or something, maybe then it'll help you (I pulled that 500 bhp figure out of thin air, I have no idea when the stock paper filter becomes a restriction), but unless you're seriously modded, stick with the paper filter. They filter better and cost a lot less.

Besides, the K&N oil can be dangerous, especially for the A4 guys on the site. If you get oil on your MAF, it can cause a big spike in line pressure in the transmission. This has happened before - it causes very harsh shifts and the spike in line pressure causes excess wear on the clutches. The 3-4 clutches, the weakest point in the 4L60E, can go out simply because you put too much oil on your K&N. That little filter just cost you $2,000. Don't laugh because it's happened before.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:20 AM
Banned

There is no difference on the dyno with a paper filter vs k+N or any other supposed hi flow synthetic filter. I actualy dyno tested them
Old 11-17-2007, 11:42 AM
12 Second Club

K and N's oil traps alot of dust so if you dont clean them often you will lose power. I gained 2 10ths at the track after cleaning mine and appling a small amount of oil. just my .02
Old 11-17-2007, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

i use the paper. i had a reusable fram air hog. took it out and went back to paper
Old 11-17-2007, 12:11 PM
Banned

That plastic ball testing thing is flawed. It might look impressive.
Heres why.
I do a/c work, you can have a perfectly good flowing air filter in your house thats say 20x20, but then you see one of these ultra allergen removing BS filters and put it in. They are usually so restrictive it hurts air flow. BUT if you only needed a 20x20 filter and instead had a 48x24 filter replacing it with a more restrictive filter would have no effect because it was oversized to begin with.

So IMO that filter display makes use of that theory, everything in it is probably sized just right to provide good airflow with a k&n and not enough with paper.
An example would be to replace the little k&n that allowed the ball to go to the top with a paper filter four times the size. I guarantee the ball would still go to the top with the bigger paper filter.

Also IMO cars air filters are the same as house a/c filters as far as size.
If your filter is undersized you might benefit from a k&n, but if it's oversized you won't see a difference, which may be the case in our cars.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by T-56SLPSS
K and N's oil traps alot of dust so if you dont clean them often you will lose power. I gained 2 10ths at the track after cleaning mine and appling a small amount of oil. just my .02
keeping your filter clean is basic car maintenance, giving credit to k+n seems like an innacurate report of results. WHt you meant to say is that after you cleaned a dirty filter you gianed 2 10ths. It had nothing to do with the k+n being a better product. The oil is to keep it from drying out and falling apart into your engine and has no actual filtering properties. In fact it can be argued the oil acts as glue to close the pores when it gets dusty.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:24 PM
TECH Junkie

I have used the K&N for almost 50,000 miles and it has been nothing but problems. I read all the comments on over oiling so I put very little, well it was too much and was a major pain in the ***.

I will be going back to the paper filter after all of the researched I have done as well as many others. I will sell it and be done with it.

Quick Reply: K & N Air filter VS. Paper Air Filter ?!