Old 12-05-2007, 09:02 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From a Ford girl gone bad -- welcome!
Old 12-05-2007, 09:31 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by blown03mustang
thats not bad for a h/c setup, considering i was gettin ready to drop 3k on the shortblock for my car then another 3-4k in h/c. i dont want anything too radical seein as how ill have the spray to get my numbers up.
Yea its not that bad, figure in $400-$500 for a cam, then approx. $1200-$1500 for a decent set of LS6 style heads (make sure you get dual valvesprings, i suggest patriot extreme golds as they come with titanium retainers), add in hardened pushrods, new timing chain (ls2 timing chain works well and is cheap), new ported ls6 oil pump (as stockers usually dont last too long), and your hovering right around $2K or so. If you go all out and get a better set of heads, such as AFR 205's, ETP's, Trick Flows, Darts, etc then your going to drop between $1600-$2000+ on them. All depends though on your goals and how much you want to spend.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:57 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
Yea its not that bad, figure in $400-$500 for a cam, then approx. $1200-$1500 for a decent set of LS6 style heads (make sure you get dual valvesprings, i suggest patriot extreme golds as they come with titanium retainers), add in hardened pushrods, new timing chain (ls2 timing chain works well and is cheap), new ported ls6 oil pump (as stockers usually dont last too long), and your hovering right around $2K or so. If you go all out and get a better set of heads, such as AFR 205's, ETP's, Trick Flows, Darts, etc then your going to drop between $1600-$2000+ on them. All depends though on your goals and how much you want to spend.
my goal is 550+ all motor, but then you add in the driveablity and that idea kinda goes out the door. so i figure 400-450rwhp motor and 550 or so on spray. i guess i should have been more clear on that to begin with. would the ls6 heads get me there, along with the right cam without losing a whole lot of driveability?

i dont know about ls1s but i know with mustangs and the 4.6s if you added a cam you would always seem to lose low end torque, is it the same case with the average ls1 cam? or does it solely rely on cam profile?
Old 12-05-2007, 10:46 AM
TECH Addict

my goal is 550+ all motor, but then you add in the driveablity and that idea kinda goes out the door. so i figure 400-450rwhp motor and 550 or so on spray. i guess i should have been more clear on that to begin with. would the ls6 heads get me there, along with the right cam without losing a whole lot of driveability?

i dont know about ls1s but i know with mustangs and the 4.6s if you added a cam you would always seem to lose low end torque, is it the same case with the average ls1 cam? or does it solely rely on cam profile?
You wont lose low end torque over stock, however with a cam that will hit 400 rwhp without aftermarket heads your going to be shifting the powerband upwards. If you were running say a 228/228 cam or something similar and switch to a larger cam, like say a g5x3, you might lose a little down low but your going to pick up a ton of HP up top. A g5X3 (by LG Motorsports) is a large cam but can hit 400 rwhp on stock heads. If you team it up with a set of PRC or Patriot LS6 style heads, and again assuming you have headers, ory, catback or duals, 25% pulley, ported TB and LS6 intake you will be between 425-440 rwhp. To hit over 450 rwhp your going to need a ported fast 90/90 combo (intake and TB). Driveability will depend on who you have tuning it. If you have an excellent tuner, they can make a large cam VERY driveable. You will still have some minor bucking/surging at low rpms, but thats the nature of having a car with a good sized cam. Toss some spray on that (say a 100 shot), you will have close to 550 rwhp and probably just as much, if not more, torque.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:52 AM
9 Second Club

550+ all motor is going to be next to impossible on stock cubes, without a power adder. People are lucky and buy all the best parts might hit 500 on motor. If you get more cubes, and a big cam and good heads 550 is doable.

Look @ texas-speed.com they are a sponser and have some packages for about 2k. You could go with prc ls6 heads, and ms4 and on a good tune with all supporting mods should be between 450-475 rwhp on motor, or you could go with the 5.3 prc heads, and bring up the compression a little, and add a ms3, or maybe a torquer v2 and make close to 450 on motor. btw torqurer loves nitrous, so that plus a wet shot, you could probably hit 600 easy.

Ls1's are great motors. stock trans are decent, the 10 bolt will break. Prepare for it, with over 400hp it will break sooner then later. Walbro fuel pumps are good for the most part, ive seen very few problems with them, and a 255lph should be more then good enough for your goals, Maybe look into a hotwire kit for the fuel pump.

Not being a dick, but if you search ont his forum, you can find just about every single combo there is out there has been tried, and 90% of them have results up.

Any questions ask.

Good luck, Chris
Old 12-05-2007, 12:21 PM
Staging Lane

Just figure on upgrading the rear end into your budget , they will break at stock horsepower levels. I broke mine on a wide open 2-3 shift on bald stock tires with only 30k on the clock. Never even been to the strip or had any real hard launches and that was just with just a CAI and catback.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:07 PM
formerly 2000blackcamaross (6-25-2013)

When you want to make more power ALWAYS up grade the fuel system. Don't go cheep,you know what they say... Pick two--> Reliable, Cheep, Fast. I know a few guys around here that have ran lean and payed the price. Also if you plan on spraying a fuel pump and injectors are a must.

Before you order parts you need to decide what you want to do with the car. If you don't draw up a game plan you could end up spending big bucks for things that you might not need. For an example if you want more power N/A or if you want to spray it more. If you plan on spraying I would suggest building a forged short block. Running a cam that is set up for spray ect. I had a friend that decided to go cheep on a fuel system and didn't draw up a game plan and he ended up with a blown motor (stock) with only 40,xxx on the clock. Just something to think about.

I hope you the best of luck with your new LS1. Post up all the pics from the installs.

Last edited by 2000blackcamaross; 12-05-2007 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AronZ28
Use the search, damn newb.
these type people will be on any forum you go to, i think they get off doing that....not sure

heads/cam spray will get you all the power you are wanting. i would throw a 9" back there FIRST!!!!! the 10 bolt just wont handle it unless you have an auto and even then you are on borrowed time. you will love the LS1's when you start modding
Old 12-05-2007, 04:08 PM
11 Second Club

yea they are everywhere!!!

anyway, you guys are really cool. you guys have been so helpful. i test drove a trans am today. WOW, the powerband is soo much better thant the stang. i never left 4th gear. 1st gear seemed like it went on forever, and still had the pull that i wanted. im definitely sold on the ls1. sometimes i wish i had just saved my money and bought the SS camaro i wanted before i got my stang. it would have been so much cheaper and easier. plust heavenly sound of a cammed ls1 is just pure sex.

and with money the way it is, i think this is the plan for my first bit of mods....Lts-true duals-slp, lid, air filter, u/d pulleys, and a cam-with corresponding mods. i have enough for the h/c setup as well as the rest of the bolt ons, but im goin to wait on heads, so that i can do them along with 90/90 intake, 100shot, and maybe a rearend all at the same time. that way i dont have to tune my car 100x before its all said and done.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:21 PM
TECH Addict

good to hear,get you an LS1 and let us know when u get it.
Old 12-05-2007, 04:33 PM

Post pics when you get one.

By the way what are you leaning towards "The Bird" or "The Catfish"?
Old 12-05-2007, 05:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2000blackcamaross
Post pics when you get one.

By the way what are you leaning towards "The Bird" or "The Catfish"?
honestly im favoring the SS....just so friggin sexy.

i want either a black SS (m6) or black WS6 (m6) but lately im startin to fall for the SOM SS camaro. i really want black but if i can find the som camaro ill get it.

do any of yall have creakin or rattling problems? ive heard thats a problem with the F-bodys
Old 12-05-2007, 05:23 PM

I don't know if I have rattling problems my exhaust is to loud! LOL
Old 12-05-2007, 05:25 PM
Staging Lane

If price is a concern I would get a z-28 , the ss is holding value much more and go for much higher even though there is not a large differance. Expecially since your going to be heavly modding it anyways.

Yeah they got a few creaks and rattles , but probably won't be much worse then the mustang
Old 12-05-2007, 05:40 PM
TECH Addict

creaks and rattles?? once you have longtubes those all seem to go away
Old 12-05-2007, 07:45 PM
On The Tree

I make 402 to the wheels with only five pounds of boost.

Ten pounds would be insane.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:25 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JedWele
If price is a concern I would get a z-28 , the ss is holding value much more and go for much higher even though there is not a large differance. Expecially since your going to be heavly modding it anyways.

Yeah they got a few creaks and rattles , but probably won't be much worse then the mustang
yea but i luv the hood and wing of the SS as well as the other small things. id pay a little more for it. plus im lookin for one with the center exhaust.

my mustang doesnt rattle at all. i was in a mustang club with like 100 local members and nobody else had em either. but like someone else said, when the exhaust gets done, it really wont matter.

im just really lookin forward to beatin the **** out of the cocky mustang owners around here that always make there cars out to be so fast with just bolt ons. and hopefully be able to beat up on 03-04 cobras after some mods. my friends say i traded to the darkside but i believe that i traded to the faster side. unfortunately its true. mustangs are nice but they are quite underpowered.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:25 PM
11 Second Club

i do have one question for you guys though.

what are some advantages of having the ls1 over my blown mustang. and please dont say cuz it looks better. i want performance related answers
Old 12-06-2007, 06:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well one advantage of having the LS1 over the blown Mustang is the up-keep, my buddies with modded stangs have problems all the time, the Ford engines in my opinion are just overly complicated. Myself on the other hand, I beat the hell out of the SS on the weekends, put it in the garage on Sunday, and dont have to work on it period. The LS1 is a stronger and more reliable engine in my opinion. I love having one cam, an all the simple things that come with a Chevy pushrod V8. Fairly easy to work on, and modify. Thats just me though, I tried the Fords and it didnt last long, I came right back to the GMs.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:31 PM
TECH Resident

not to mention with just rods and forged pistons and factory crank, the ls1 will sustain 750-950 horsepower. plus I think the powerband comes in alot smoother as well.