New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine struggling at 5000 rpms

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 09:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few stupid questions...where's the fuel filter? How would i go about changing it? Is there a 'best' one to get? And could i pick this up at auto zone or would i have to order it? Sorry just don't wanna screw somthing up or get the wrong thing. And I'll try and get it scanned today.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

fuel filter should be on the fuel line close to the tank. towards the back of the car. im sure all the auto parts stores have them. you might need the fuel line disconnect tools i dunno.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:01 PM
Staging Lane

Alright guys i just changed the fuel filter and it still does it. I can't figure it out. I was gonna get it scanned...but its kinda hard if the SES light isn't on now. It like randomly goes on and off. Like i could go to 5 different places for a whole day and it won't come on. Then later that night be driving and it will randomly come on. Could this have something to do with it? Oh and the other day I was driving and there was a loud high pitched whining sound comming from underneath the back end of the car. I was thinking maybe its the fuel pump? Any ideas guys? I'm completely lost. Thanks.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

So your passenger side is catless, and the drivers side is catted? Does the passenger side "pull" harder, lol.
I'd say change fuel filter, it made a dramatic difference when I changed mine (but the other one had black **** all in it).
Old 12-12-2007, 12:28 PM
Staging Lane

Lol. Yah i know its pretty ghetto. But i just changed the fuel filter and it did nothing. Read my above post. ^^
Old 12-12-2007, 02:26 PM
Staging Lane

What mods are on the car?There was a similar post a while ago that the guys underdrive pulley was causing knock retard at about the same rpm.He changed his pulley and the car ran perfect.Not saying that is what is wrong with your car but it may get involved and be a long process to find the root cause of your problem.Check your basics,fuel pressure at that rpm,spark advance or retard at that rpm,and your plugs/wires.The problem could also be related to your cats causing unequal back pressure on the motor.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:48 PM
Staging Lane

I only have a lid and a cutout on it. How do you check the fuel pressure and spark advance/retard at that rpm? And I've had the cats like this for months and never had a problem.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:20 PM
Staging Lane

Fuel pressure I just hook up a gauge to the fitting on the injector rail and run the gauge to the windshield and tape it on,then drive it to get the problem to occur.The knock you will need a scanner or programmer that reads engine data like knock retard and have someone watch the scanner while driving it at that speed/rpm.Also,just because the check engine light is not on you may still be able to read a history code so it would be wise to try and get it scanned.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get off that wallet and stick a GM Tech 2 on it. Sounds like your leaning out to me.