Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 08:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Um... Thanks.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as for putting the car in neutral when stopped i always do it, correct me if im wrong here i could be way off but on the speed channel (horsepower tv or somethin like that) they were workin on a mustang gt (99-04) and they showed what happened if you always left it in gear with your foot on the clutch and it was if i remember right more bearing wear and more wear on maybe the flywheel i think like a ridge in it, could be totally wrong though
Old 01-22-2008, 11:06 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98TADRIVER
when i had 4.11s in my M6, i started my burnouts at the track in 2nd gear so the tires could heat up faster. but wouldnt even think of trying to launch in 2nd gear.

I do the same thing at the track.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:08 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by binks0678
as for putting the car in neutral when stopped i always do it, correct me if im wrong here i could be way off but on the speed channel (horsepower tv or somethin like that) they were workin on a mustang gt (99-04) and they showed what happened if you always left it in gear with your foot on the clutch and it was if i remember right more bearing wear and more wear on maybe the flywheel i think like a ridge in it, could be totally wrong though

I'm pretty sure the throw out bearing will have a short life if you do this.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Mustangs use a cable style clutch, you will stretch the cable more quickly. As far as leaivng it in gear or neutral at a stop i always leave it in gear... if i get tagged in the back i want my car to stall when my foot pops off the clutch and not roll into the intersection which would probably end up several times worse. A 20 mph rear end impact would definately make you roll pretty far if you are in neutral.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1st Gear = less wear on clutch when launching, simple as that. Even if I had 4:10 gears, I'd still do 1st gear starts as it takes less gas to get rolling which helps in stop/go along with mileage. 2nd gear launches are for burn outs, VERY low traction situations, and geared/autocross launches.

I got rear ended by a car that "jumped" because he left it in gear and his foot slipped off the clutch. If you've ever been rear ended hard from behind, if you have your foot planted on the brake, you will still have it planted on the brake once your sense come back to you after the initial impact. Even if you just leave it rested and not putting full pressure. As long as your foot is relatively there. Ask me how I know.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rodcpierce
im a firm believer in leaving the car in gear at a stop. Reason being for the simple reason, if the car is in neutral, and persay you get rear ended, your car is going to roll into the intersection, and chances are your going to get t-boned. I leave it in gear, for the reason of if you do get rear ended, chances are your foot is going too fall off the clutch, and mos likelly stall the car, keeping it from rolling. There is a little bit of excess wear, but IMHO its worth it.
Do you also ride the brakes when your driving, just in case someone pulls out in front of you, so you will be able to stop in time??? A little excess were but worth it, right. If you have any sense at all you have your foot on the brake at a stop light, and if you get hit, try and stop your car. If a car hit you from the rear and it didnt knock u out, means that it was not going to fast. If you barely got hit you would likely hit the brake and not let yourself roll into oncomming traffic. If you got hit out of no where, it wouldnt matter if the car stalled out, they would most likely push you into the intersection anyways.
SO....IMO it is not benificial to stay in gear at a stop light!
Old 06-18-2010, 11:53 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by araber89
Hell yes on the AVATAR! Anyhow I gave the guy a talk about the clutch slipping and buring it up faster and what not but he brushed it off. The worst part was he said "Dude I always started in 2nd in my prom car so I wouldn't have to shift right away." He had a RSX type S. I thought to my self does this look or sound like a mother freaking ricer but I was nice and just smiled and kept starting in 1st. He will learn.
I typically start in 2nd as well unless I'm on an incline. My car is cammed and gets a little surge happy when there isn't much load (i.e. 1st gear at 3mph)

In 2nd the clutch can be fully released by ~6 mph and never exceeds 800rpm before then.

Starting in 1st and going to 2nd actually seems to use more clutch then just starting in 2nd.

"Dude I always started in 2nd in my prom car" - Priceless.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:27 PM
TECH Addict

Old 06-18-2010, 06:48 PM
Launching!

Been driving manual transmissions for 15 years. Yes, I'm getting old. I usually leave it in neutral at stoplights, usually because the clutch in the car I'm driving is ridiculously heavy. Someone mentioned 99-04 Mustang GT. Yeah, it's definitely heavy. Anyway, I've been rear ended and it doesn't really matter either way really. I work EMS and I can tell you I've never in 8 years seen a car hit from the front after being pushed into the middle of oncoming traffic. You'd have to get hit pretty hard. And as far as starting in 2nd gear, NO. NO. NO. Not now, not ever. Why did you buy a six speed? Next time you have it rebuilt, ask the builder if he will just take 1st gear out because you have 4.10 gears and you don't need it. He'd laugh you out of his shop. Just my .02 cents.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rodcpierce
if the car is in neutral, itll roll dude......think about it. if your getting rear ended, and your in the front of the line, last thing your gonna have on your mid at that instinct it to hold the brake pedal down if it is a decent impact. Anyways, thats just my .02
If you get hit hard enough that it would push you into an intersection, it would probably be enough to get you up to enough speed where the car wouldn't stall if you let the clutch out.

But anyways, with 4.11's I basically use first gear just to get moving (~10mph) then go 2nd, 4th, sometimes 5th, 6th.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:25 PM
Staging Lane

Even though this thread is over 2 years old now I'll reply since someone else brought it back from the dead.

I usually start in 1st, but if I'm taking off from a stop into a 50+mph zone I'll usually go 2nd 4th 6th. 4.03 gears and a ~2700lb car

Quick Reply: 2nd gear start?