New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Cam? What mods?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Cam? What mods?

I am new to the board and new to performance mods. I owned 15 GM cars but have never done performance mods to any of them lol. I have a 2000 Firebird T/A and was thinking of putting on LS6 heads and intake. At the same time I want to add a MILD cam. Which should I choose? There are so many to choose from. Also, can the mods I'm planning on making be "tuned" to pass Cali smog? Thanks!
Old 01-24-2008, 09:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only cam I know of that passes smog is the TR224, I'm sure there are others but I have no idea which they are. Get one of those and some ported polished LS6 heads and call it a day.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

So many directions you can go with this.

I take it that the car is your daily driver (Assuming) and knowing whether or not if it is an auto or a six speed will help too.

In todays age with LS1's though most cams in the mid 22X's are going to fit right in on where you want to be. Good enough for 400+ rwhp on 91 octane (If you have the supporting mods on the intake and exhaust side).

Lot of people from Cali are on the board so you can surely look at their setups as well and see what else that has been tested to work. Down here in Texas, we really do not have to be so **** with everything.

Good luck to you and the modding. Searching here on Tech is going to be your best friend.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBronco

Lot of people from Cali are on the board so you can surely look at their setups as well and see what else that has been tested to work. Down here in Texas, we really do not have to be so **** with everything.

Good luck to you and the modding. Searching here on Tech is going to be your best friend.
i would be carful looking at other cail members mods because a lot of us cail members have lets say "help" when smog time comes around

but to op a tr224 would probly be a good cam and if you get a desent tune u should not have any problems gettin it smoged

btw what part of cail are u from???
Old 01-24-2008, 09:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by tripblackls1
i would be carful looking at other cail members mods because a lot of us cail members have lets say "help" when smog time comes around

but to op a tr224 would probly be a good cam and if you get a desent tune u should not have any problems gettin it smoged

btw what part of cail are u from???
I understand, as most cars get that "Help" down here but, I know of quite a few good running cars on the west coast that are 100% Smog cleared.

Then again, the slow turd in the sig could not pass a SMOG test if it had our lives on the line. LOL!!!!!
Old 01-24-2008, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lmao haha slow turd lol
Old 01-25-2008, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
The only cam I know of that passes smog is the TR224, I'm sure there are others but I have no idea which they are. Get one of those and some ported polished LS6 heads and call it a day.
Im from Monterey, Cali. Its not my DD I have a '00 Cavalier Z24 also. My cars an automatic and I just put a stock rebuilt rear end in it last weekend. I have been dealing with a misfire thats been very difficult to trace. All the clues are pointing to the valves so I'm thinking as long as the heads have to come off that its time to upgrade. I know I might be able to get "help" when it comes to smog being that I know a lot of people in the auto industry here but I just dont want to have to count on someone else. Its too much of a headache.