Sponsored by:

Removing all Emissions equipment

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 05:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Removing all Emissions equipment

Hi,

Totally new to the world of LS1's,(my intro's in International section) and staying in Scotland, they are not exactly thick on the ground here.
My specific questions (tried searching forum, but couldn't find exact answers) are :

I have just recently taken delivery of a 1998 LS1 engine, cut out of a car in the US which I am fitting in my 1950 Morris Minor (pro street look), and i wish to remove the EGR system completely.
Can I simply make up blanking plates for all connections, or is there something more to it?
I won't be using cats, so do I just leave the O2 sensors out, or do they need O2 eliminators? (did this on my bike).
I have removed the air con pump and power steering pump, but need to replace the pulley in place of the power steering to tension the belt.
Can I just utilise one of the pulley wheels relocated to the ex PS position (on fabricated mounting), or is there a custom solution for this?
I'm sure I'll have more questions during this build, but this forum seems a good place to start.

cheers

Pete
Old 01-28-2008, 06:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well first off welcome to the forum. I can answer some of your questions Pete. For the emissions, remove it and do the blank off plates, you will have to retain the first set of O2 sensors in the exhaust, the second set can be replaced with sims or eliminators as you call them, or just tuned out completely. Not sure if there is a custom solution for the pulley, have you thought of just running a shorter belt? Might be the cheapest solution.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:31 AM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for that. The pulley is needed to replace the power steering pump, in order that the belt operates the water pump (I noticed it turns in the opposite direction to crank - otherwise I would just rig up a direct system round the 3 pulleys - crank, water pump, alternator) - alternator in standard position.

cheers

Pete
Old 01-28-2008, 08:11 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by plastic orange
Thanks for that. The pulley is needed to replace the power steering pump, in order that the belt operates the water pump (I noticed it turns in the opposite direction to crank - otherwise I would just rig up a direct system round the 3 pulleys - crank, water pump, alternator) - alternator in standard position.

cheers

Pete
i think you could also replace the intake mana fold with an ls6 intake and that should take out the EGR
Old 03-22-2008, 05:08 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 00z28Evans
i think you could also replace the intake mana fold with an ls6 intake and that should take out the EGR
You don't have to. You can always plug up the EGR hole.

Quick Reply: Removing all Emissions equipment