New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV alternative help

Old 01-29-2008, 02:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCV alternative help

I know there are PCV posts done to death, but I did search for hours and haven't come up with an answer to satisfy my question. My problem is that I bought a 99 LS1 to do a swap and it didn't come with any emissions or PCV setup. All it had was the vent tube (red tube in the picture) and a bolt stuck in the tube were the PCV valve is suppose to be.

I am planning to leave the emissions out, but I need to do something for the PCV. Right now the engine is stock and I don't have plans to go above 400 HP anytime soon. Not using boost and probably not nitrous. What I have learned is a lot of people recommend a catch can. Some like a inline filter. I do like this setup http://www.freewebz.com/soslo/foreman_oilcatch.htm . I also read that a breather filter taped into the oil cap with everything else capped off could be enough because the heads are balanced without the crossover hose (yellow). I was wondering if I could block off the driver side port hole with a freeze plug, get a new PCV valve and then just run the passenger side to the catch can. (See pic modified from picture borrowed from LS1howto.com)

Thanks for ay help you can give.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

I jumpered the back lines and just threw a breather on where the oil cap goes, has worked fine for me thus far, just stay consistant on 3000 mile oil changes. Leaving your crankcase open to the atmosphere allows the oil to break down slightly sooner...

Heres a pic of my setup....
Attached Thumbnails PCV alternative help-pcv-setup.jpg  
Old 01-29-2008, 04:02 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by james562
I jumpered the back lines and just threw a breather on where the oil cap goes, has worked fine for me thus far, just stay consistant on 3000 mile oil changes. Leaving your crankcase open to the atmosphere allows the oil to break down slightly sooner...

Heres a pic of my setup....
Just curious, because I have no idea what might effect what on these things, but why did you leave the "red" vent line on your setup?? Is there a benefit or is it necessary for everything else to run properly??
Thanks.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:59 PM
Teching In

Any other thoughts? Anyone know of a cheap replacement hose for the rear driver side port? I may add the oil cap filter.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:19 PM
Teching In

Still looking for an answer.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have mine setup like yours except it goes to my blower intake hat so I dont need a one way check valve. In the case of a backfire you would pressurize the crankcase somewhat. How much I cant say?? Mcmaster Carr sells the best one Ive heard, and its really cheap insurance. Don't ask me the part # you would have to search the forum for that. If you have no luck try the forced induction column. Or just call them and tell them your hose size. This site has a wealth of info, I studied here for 2 yrs before I even purchased a ls1. Then I got a new 02 and modded it, after knowing what I wanted to buy. Without this site I would have been lost on a lot of stuff.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PCV alternative help