Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A few oil pressure questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 02:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A few oil pressure questions

alright well i am starting to worry big time about my oil pressure, but im not sure if it is because of my error or the sending unit error or pump error... but at warm idle now my oil pressure is just above the red... and we are talkin just barely off of it... the one thing i think i may have done was messed up when i installed my gauge overlay, that i could have put the needle in the incorrect place, but i had problems before that of the gauge fluctuating at WOT to like about 35 psi and then catching up after a shift out of first to second... i bought a new oil sending unit but havent gotten around to changing it out to see if that could be the problem, and ill prob do that this weekend if its not too cold... but at the same time i have been thinking about putting a mechanical gauge in... and my question about that is... could i use the place where the sending unit is now, at the back of my intake on the block there, to use a mechanical gauge, or is there anywhere else i can plug in to to use a mechanical gauge... also, where would be a good place to mount this gauge? i dont really have the $ to buy an a pillar pod, so thats kinda out of the picture right now... and also, what all will i need to make this mechanical gauge work? im kinda new to learning about how the gauges actually get a reading and send it to the gauge, but i know it receives pressure from the flow of the oil itself, but is there something inside of the regulator or something that somehow sends an electrical current to the gauge to make it move or something? i wouldnt think so because of the MECHANICAL part, but id like to know a little more about it before i just go throwing one in my car...

also, when i am driving normally, the pressure comes up quite a bit... like going about 20 or so and having my foot on the petal to maintain the speed my pressure is like 25-30 psi, and on the highway going about 60 my pressure is also around there, and i am running about 1700 rpms or so at 60... so it doesnt seem to be a problem while going... maybe im freaking a little about it, but i dont want to run my motor dry...
also, at cold startup i am gettin at least 60 psi, and i dont hear any noises or squeels at cold startup... it runs like a charm...
Old 02-02-2008, 03:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like your oil is fine, the actual pump doesnt jump around like that, check all the connections and change your sending unit if nothing changes