Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

interior lights got me stumped

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 10:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default interior lights got me stumped

okay soo sometime today my interior lights decided to come on...and stay on. the wont shut off. ive checked all the basic crap like making sure the doors are shut correctly etc. turning the wheel control for guages and to turn them on and stuff is off. and still no avail. here is the info i got when i went out a few min. to look at it. its a post from another forum i frequent but im looking for any other advice.

FROM OTHER FORUM:
__________________________________________________ ___________
checked that as well(dimmer switch). no joy. imma be pissed as **** if i have to ride the crotch rocket to work tommorow...in the rain...again..... :omgti:

heading outside to take a look and see if i can figgure out whats goin on ill post up in a few with update.

UPDATE:soo it would seem T/A's are not set up the same way as a mustang in that the doors have the little button sensors to tell when the doors are open or closed. not sure where it is if there is one as i didn't see it. I checked the fuses and found nothing that would seem outta the ordinary. none of them looked fried or anything. i was looking at the ones that were labeled HDLP DR not sure if its corect but its the closest thing i could find to match what i was deailing with.

It's weird becasue if i shut the car off, close the doors and lock it, and just watch the lights they seem to be fighting to stay on, they flicker and dim and then brighten, but it the car turns over without so much as a spit of a fight. completely lost as to what is going on. guess ill get the wet weather gear ready for the bike tomm. morning in the event the ol' bitch won't turn over.

Only thing that seemed kind of, out of wack is when i checked the switch that would dim the guages and turn the interior lights on or off, it seemed really weak when i clicked it all the way up or all the way down. possibly a broken/loose connection behind the dash? god i hope not, i really dont feel like ripping my dash out just to check that little thing. I'm packing this weekend to move outta base housing. ide wrather spend my weekend doing that than surgery on my car for such a small problem. I guess I could just yank the fuses forthe lights, and hope they don't control something important.... Gonna throw this post up on LS1 tech and maybe get some more ideas, but keep em coming fellas.

mac

any advice or suggestions appreciated, like stated in the above post, i hope i dont have to rip my dash out to check that dimmer switch. im packing this weekend to move off base and dont really want to deal with surgery on my car just to stop the lights from staying on
Old 02-21-2008, 10:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Probably the door switch. It is mounted inside the latch of the door.

If it is the dimmer switch it is easy to get to. Pull the vent ring off from around the driver side vent and it gives you access to that little panel where the dimmer switch is.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:38 PM
Teching In

im starting to feel as though its the dimmer switch, the lights stay on even when the car is running and in motion. annoying as hell when i had to pick my wife up tonight. but thanks for the tip on getting to it easier. I probably would have ended up pullin off my entire dash to realise your simple step at the end. causing one of those moments
Old 02-21-2008, 10:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Well the dimmer switch is easier to get to than the door latch switch so I would check it first. Door latch switch would keep the dome lights on while driving as well btw.

Does the dimmer dim your dash lights properly?
Old 02-21-2008, 11:45 PM
Teching In

okay so heres the scoop. after getting the guage cluster cover and the bottom part below the steering wheel off, i get to look at the adjustable ****/rheostat. its weird because it will still control the brightness of the guages and headlight ****, but if i click it all the way up no joy, tried clicking down, and no joy. only way to find out for sure is to get another rheostat and put it in(thatwill have to wait till tax return i guess) the only OTHER possibility is that today when i had my window cracked rain got in and dripped down into the fuse box and shorted that fuze out. but i would think if that was the case they wouldn't even turn on :dunce:

either way, problem temporarily fixed by yanking the fuze. so no worries about a dead battery in the morning. yay to not having to ride a motorcycle in rain...again..

thanks for the quick responses!

PS:
while workin on the little issue, i noticed a chirping coming from under my hood. almost sounds like a light chirp or grind. oddly sounds like its coming from the intake, but im probably just hearing it come from there, it sounds more likeits coming from a pulley or something. any idea? oil change is good, i need a tranny flush but itdoesnt sound like its coming from the tranny.

oh yea, and one more thing...since im up at midnight.../sigh...wheres a good place to get a trans flush...and dont say that place on the left on eglin pkwy across from CVS and albertsons, i refuse to go to that place anymore.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:05 PM
Teching In

I had the same thing last year with all of the interior lights staying on. After chasing down everything you have done, I ended up going to the Stealership and they replaced the "body control module". I nice little pricey item...I might add. Good luck.