New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to hit 11s

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008 | 05:54 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by deputyss
u guys are so helpful and I thank you. after reviewing all the responces I'm going to get tires (280) gm hot cam kit(400) 3500 stall (400) timing chain, oil pump (200) LTs (500) I do have a hook up on install & parts (250) for cam and headers and my tune will only be (200) and that will run me around 2300 dollars. but she will just have to wait a little longer for the ring. if you guys think this sounds good let me know. maybe saying i wanted to hit 11 was a little premature. do u guys think this combo will get me at least low 12s? thank for everything guys
11's no. Low 12's, i dont see why not. 11's would be possible with a bigger camshaft. You will probably end up tired of that hot cam pretty quickly and want something bigger.
Old 02-27-2008 | 11:52 PM
On The Tree

Totally agree on the bigger cam... Just spen an extra 400 and get a cam kit from Texas Speed and Performance or Thunder Racing that will really scream... The MS3 is really popular and for good reason... Plus please don't forget a torque arm because all that power is not gonna do too good with a stock chassis... If you plan on leaving the stock shocks on it some subframe connectors would help a lot too... I hate to just keep adding money but I just don't want you to get disappointed or sad or just give up... Have fun with it man!!! And about the ring... I hear ya! lol... My girl knows my love for my car!!!
Old 02-28-2008 | 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

honestly theres some good and bad advice in here, Im not going to be the one to call anyone out but Im sure you got the message. I would strongly suggest building it up slowly and getting used to it in stages of whatever you could afford at the time. Some people think I build my vehicles backwards if they want, but if I was building another one Id do the same thing. Start with the basic bolt ons for your motor and let her breath, then get some sfc, torque arm and tires. from there have fun running it and seeing what you can get your times down to.

Drive it like you stole it and save up for a tranny build or atleast have the money ready for one when the next stage hits

From there save up for the bigger/better IMO ms3 cam like stealthy said and do the oil pump/timing chain/valves/rods, 3500-3700 stall and tune all at the same time and do it RIGHT the first time instead of changing your mind later and paying twice as much. Only reason I say to wait for the stall and tune here is that your killing two birds with one stone with the cam and stall at the same time.

this way once your motor is hopped up enough for you to lay down some good numbers you wont have to worry about anything except for the rear end, and even then youve got an a4 so luckily its not as harsh since its pre-loaded.

but once more money is added to your account if your tranny hasnt been built up yet then definately have that taken care of and build up your rear end and switch to 3:73's or 4:10's whatever you prefer

but maybe Im wrong, just my way of going about things-
Old 02-28-2008 | 07:00 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by deputyss
u guys are so helpful and I thank you. after reviewing all the responces I'm going to get tires (280) gm hot cam kit(400) 3500 stall (400) timing chain, oil pump (200) LTs (500) I do have a hook up on install & parts (250) for cam and headers and my tune will only be (200) and that will run me around 2300 dollars. but she will just have to wait a little longer for the ring. if you guys think this sounds good let me know. maybe saying i wanted to hit 11 was a little premature. do u guys think this combo will get me at least low 12s? thank for everything guys
I think it all sounds good except for the GM hotcam. With a 3500 stall I would look at no smaller then a 224/224 114 lsa cam. But then again a lot of people swear by the Futural FM13 which I think is around 232/234. But for a cam selection I would go into the gen III internal section and read the stickies and do a few searches.

But I can tell you this. Just like a small stall if you go too small on the cam you'll just be left wanting more and spending more later to swap it out. And the hot cam is definately too small.

Good Luck.
Old 02-28-2008 | 07:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

https://ls1tech.com/forums/texas-members/872824-fs-cam-other-parts.html

i have a 226 cam for sale in the texas section btw if you are interested
Old 02-28-2008 | 07:08 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by reject
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=872824

i have a 226 cam for sale in the texas section btw if you are interested
That would make a nice daily driver and street friendly cam with a good tune. Since the seller has a 10 trader rating and 6000+ posts I would feel very confident buying this cam even though the seller is a reject
Old 02-28-2008 | 07:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

lol i would have more trader feedback if the other guys i dealt with would give me my feedback i have like 3 people that forgot or something, and they were all positive too, owell
Old 02-28-2008 | 01:09 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by burnerdown
I was being sarcastic when l siad it would blow up you engine, the added stress nos does without upgrading your engine and drive train will eventualy kill it, seen it happen way too much, but if your willing to spend more later fine...but its only simple logic!
I have to disagree with this as well. I have had customers run 250 shots in excess of 650 hp for 2+ years on stock bottom ends, stock m6's and stock 10bolts. Granted you are on borrowed time with this sized shot and i would actually advice it to anyone. BUT LS1's have proven to take a 100-150 shot like it was nothing for years. Every car is different and some do last abnormally longer while others might start breaking after a year. maybe your friends are doing 5,000 rpm clutch dumps on drag radials or running high stall convertors, without locking out first gear every weekend. I really dont know, but all the evidence points in the opposite direction of yours assuming the person is smart and runs a kit correctly.