New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it a bad idea to let your LSx warm up before driving?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 12:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
SPELLED....CAMARO....
LOL.

Jokes arn't your thing, are they.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I give my car a minute or two to get some warmth into the valve springs. Even then I don't take it past 3k rpm till it's at least registering on the dash. gotta love those working temp gauges.

I'm most worried about the valve springs as they take the most abuse when cold. Everything else should have some sort of layer of oil on it, but lubrication does squat for a valve spring. Once it's been compressed a 1000-2000 times in that 2 min then it's got some heat to it.

Just don't push WOT or high rpm when cold and drive it easy till it's up to temp.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:03 AM
TECH Veteran

I always let my car warm up for about 5 minutes and i shift at 2k until it reaches operating temp.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I let it arm up for 45 mins then I drive only 5 mph for another 15....

All jokes aside, let it circulate some oil for a minute or 5 then go.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:24 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I kinda have to at this point since my car hunts for idle until the car is warmed up completely. It still needs some more time with the tuner after getting my cam.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies. Yea I know -- the question seems ridiculous, but this guy I work with claimed it's no good and then I found some info online about it being no good so I was just making sure.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by newton
1500 is a bit low. I usually start it and let it sit for 10-15 seconds, and just take it easy for the first mile or two.

Thats what i do.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:41 PM
On The Tree

15-30 seconds when its cold, then easy driving until its up to operating temp.

summer time i just jump in and drive off.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:04 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by newton
1500 is a bit low.
Agreed. Since, depending on what gear you're in, you could be 'lugging' the engine at that rpm.
In some instances, excessive lugging has been blamed for rod bearing failure, and the resultant 'rod knock' and eventually the engine going .

I would just keep it <3000 and >2000 until fully warm.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:20 PM
On The Tree

Always let it warm up.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Agreed. Since, depending on what gear you're in, you could be 'lugging' the engine at that rpm.
In some instances, excessive lugging has been blamed for rod bearing failure, and the resultant 'rod knock' and eventually the engine going .

I would just keep it <3000 and >2000 until fully warm.
I sit in traffic for the first ten minutes till I reach the highway then she goes up to bout 2500, so 1500 is good seeing as I dont go over 10 mph
Old 02-26-2008, 03:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sixvi6-camaro
letting the car sit in place to warm up has a problem though.. you still have a transmission and rearend that will not heat up at all sitting in place. I'd rather drive the car and heat the entire driveline up at the same time rather than heat the engine and drive an ice cold trans and rearend.
I always warm up the engine, and then usaualy work in the clutch as it's getting warmed up, by slowly pressing it a couple of times and slowly shifting the car. My car wont shift until i've driven it for a couple of minutes, so I drive it very slowly and don't go much over 1,500 RPM's till everything is warm.

In my 06 silverado, i've found that if I don't warm it up and just get in and drive it wont shift, i'm talking WILL NOT SHIFT. So now I warm it up and after 5-8 minutes of idleing it seems to shift, I also get in and press the clutch a good ten times and shift through the gears real slowly to try and get it wamred up.

If you ask me it's bad on you're car to just start it up and drive off, one of my buddys dad who work's for GM, told me that if you get in it and don't wamr it up and drive it at all it's really bad for the rear seal and the rear end. Remember on a cold, cold, day you're engines oil will be all the way in the oil pan and needs to cerculate around, plain and simple.

When you wake up do you jump out of bed and do a mad dash to get to work and not strech or yawn acouple of times? Exactly, In a way the human body is similar to a car, you have to stretch you're body out before you go work out right! Why not warm you car up and drive it very gently at first to get everything warmed up!

If I don't warm up the camaro, it will die while driving and baerly idle, my old honda accord that I had, did the same thing, it would fall on it's face and just die. Hell my moms V-6 dodge ram wont shift at first if you don't let it warm up. Cars have lubricants for a reason, if you don't let them do there job, they aren't going to work right!
Old 02-26-2008, 06:09 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by thefastlife4me

In my 06 silverado, i've found that if I don't warm it up and just get in and drive it wont shift, i'm talking WILL NOT SHIFT. So now I warm it up and after 5-8 minutes of idleing it seems to shift, I also get in and press the clutch a good ten times and shift through the gears real slowly to try and get it wamred up.

If you ask me it's bad on you're car to just start it up and drive off, one of my buddys dad who work's for GM, told me that if you get in it and don't wamr it up and drive it at all it's really bad for the rear seal and the rear end. Remember on a cold, cold, day you're engines oil will be all the way in the oil pan and needs to cerculate around, plain and simple.

When you wake up do you jump out of bed and do a mad dash to get to work and not strech or yawn acouple of times? Exactly, In a way the human body is similar to a car, you have to stretch you're body out before you go work out right! Why not warm you car up and drive it very gently at first to get everything warmed up!

If I don't warm up the camaro, it will die while driving and baerly idle, my old honda accord that I had, did the same thing, it would fall on it's face and just die. Hell my moms V-6 dodge ram wont shift at first if you don't let it warm up. Cars have lubricants for a reason, if you don't let them do there job, they aren't going to work right!
The automatics hold out there shifts longer on purpose. It should be listed in your owners manual. It allows them to warm up faster. I know my 02 2500HD is like that, along with the 06 tahoe. They hold out the shifts so you don't have to drive 10 minutes with no heat. As for the manual not shifting, that really doesn't have much to do with the engine idling.

I also fail to see how idling has any effect on the rear end. Your camaro is carbed I assume, which would effect the cold running a lot.

It's not a bad idea to warm up your car some especially in colder climates. The main thing is to just take it easy until it is at operating temp. Motorcycles are the same way. Recommendation is to crank it, let it idle for ~20-30seconds, then ride easy till it is warm. Lots of daily driver car engine problems are related to people riding the ***** off of them before they warm up. To each his own.

I think the general consensus is 15-30 seconds when cold then take it easy. So basically, crank up your car, put your drink in the cup holder, buckle your seat belt and leave. Or buy a remote start for the northern crowd.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:20 PM

i let mine warm up a few minutes/
Old 02-26-2008, 06:34 PM
On The Tree

I start 'er up and watch oil pressure while I let it hunt for idle (tuner is getting a call soon) for about 10 seconds and then roll out immediately. Keeping RPMs beneath 3000 until I start to hit the normal operating temp.

I've been told time and time again that this is the best way to do it and my car seems to purr a bit better when I do it that way.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:49 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Masochist
I start 'er up and watch oil pressure while I let it hunt for idle (tuner is getting a call soon) for about 10 seconds and then roll out immediately. Keeping RPMs beneath 3000 until I start to hit the normal operating temp.

I've been told time and time again that this is the best way to do it and my car seems to purr a bit better when I do it that way.
Yes sir, and nice car there man!
Old 02-26-2008, 07:05 PM
On The Tree

Thanks a lot bro! I've put a lot of work into it <3
Old 02-26-2008, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

there are tolerances between the crank journals and the bearings which are loose until the motor warms up and expands closing the tolerances. Its always a good idea to let the car run for a minute when its really cold out.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:33 PM
TECH Addict

The whole 10 min warm up is more for your body than anything. As long as you aren't giving it significant load while driving, it will warm up fairly quickly under light load. My car will usually be at temp within 5 mins of driving it. This is shifting at 2500 and driving around 2000rpm to keep the revs up. Having a good oil for when its cold is also a must. I'm running GC 0w30 all year round so I know that when cold it's flowing well. As for the transmission and rear, those won't warm up significantly until you drive it so even IF you let it warm up for 10 mins, it's still a good idea to take it easy for a little while for the transmission and rear end's sake.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SchultzLT1
Semi's sit there idling most of the night while the driver sleeps so he has heat. In no way is idling bad for the motor. Revving however is a different story.
They will idle all day long,but the proper way to do it is to bump the idle up. Most big trucks idle around 600rpm. But if your goin to sit for 5minutes or more you want to bump the idle to about 850. To keep the oil pressure up and keeps the cylinders from washing down.

I always prefer to let it sit for at least 30seconds before i move from the driveway. Even after its been driven for awhile and I stop to go in the store or what not, I give it at least 5-10sec before I go

Quick Reply: Is it a bad idea to let your LSx warm up before driving?