New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it a bad idea to let your LSx warm up before driving?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 01:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro396
hey guys I was wondering, I have a camero, and its got 101k on it, I have had it since it was new, should I change the oil?
I'm not sure what a camero is but if i had a camaro with that many miles i would probably change the oil.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:04 PM
TECH Resident

I let mine run for a minute or two before I go.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:35 PM
On The Tree

Think about this: Your oil is like syrup when it's cold. Do you want that being moved through your motor too soon. I have ALWAYS let mine warm up at least 5 min no matter what time of year it is. It's not being lubricated when the oil is too cold. Another thing: When you start your car you can smell the exhaust a lot more than when it is warm. Your car is trying to warm up by adding fuel so if your gonna drive down the road while it's running rich as ***** your gonna use more gas than just letting it warm up for a few min. I get good gas mileage even when I let it warm up too long.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:09 AM
Staging Lane

Default haha

Originally Posted by Camaro396
hey guys I was wondering, I have a camero, and its got 101k on it, I have had it since it was new, should I change the oil?
thats effin hilarious.

True story. I had friend in high school that was and still is a complete moron. he had a 1994 tampon camaro (not a z28), and I saw him adding a quart of 5w30 conventional oil one day at the gas station.

I was like "dude what are you doing?"

he was like "i'm adding oil because the light came on..."

Then he proceeded to tell me that it was burning oil.

So naturally my first question was, "Well, when was the last time you changed the oil?"

he looked at me both confused and amused. "Changed the oil? Hell man, I've never changed any oil, I just add some when it gets low!"

At that point I did not know what to say and got back in the car to go to school.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:28 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by xEzekial
thats effin hilarious.

True story. I had friend in high school that was and still is a complete moron. he had a 1994 tampon camaro (not a z28), and I saw him adding a quart of 5w30 conventional oil one day at the gas station.

I was like "dude what are you doing?"

he was like "i'm adding oil because the light came on..."

Then he proceeded to tell me that it was burning oil.

So naturally my first question was, "Well, when was the last time you changed the oil?"

he looked at me both confused and amused. "Changed the oil? Hell man, I've never changed any oil, I just add some when it gets low!"

At that point I did not know what to say and got back in the car to go to school.
lol ahahah now thats some funny **** right there
Old 03-03-2008, 12:36 PM
On The Tree

wow...that's all I can say is....wow.

Dude a got another one. This was just some random lady I saw in advance one day while me and friend were picking up our oil. This lady had some guy from the store helping her find something and I picked up on the conversation.
She was talking about how her car was smoking and the low oil light came on or whatever and the dude asks her if she remembered the last time she changed her oil.
She says "um....no, no I don't" lol
I'm like wtf? I figure she's driving a piece of **** car or something...NO! A jeep grand cherokee that was prolly an 05 or 06 model! I think to myself, if I saw that car on the lot I would think it was a nice car....nope!
haha It just makes me cringe to think that some people just have absolutely NO concept of why it's important to change your oil haha
Old 03-03-2008, 01:15 PM
Staging Lane

lol. yeah people amuse me. i had another friend who tried to sell my exgirlfriend his mercury mystique. it looked like a decent enough car but it smoked a bit. I asked him how well he took care of it and maintained it, and he assured me he babied it. He was a pothead so he never had a reason to do anything fast.

So I was asking questions here and there, and the oil question came up. I asked him if he changed his oil regularly.

"Yeah man! I changed it not too too long long ago..."
"Oh yeah? how many miles ago?"
"I dunno, around 12 or 13 thousand miles ago?"
I was speechless, because he actually believed he was doing what he was supposed to.
Next I asked about the oil filter.
"What is an oil filter?"

Enough said.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pewter02WS6
Think about this: Your oil is like syrup when it's cold.
If your oil is that thick when it's cold I seriously suggest you use a different oil. I know mine sure isn't.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:52 PM
Staging Lane

The best thing you can do to maximize your car's driving ability in addition to starting it up every morning 5-10 minutes before you drive it, is to add 2-4 pounds of sugar to your gas tank. After you pour it in give it a few revs and the sludge inside the block will work wonders for you
Old 03-03-2008, 01:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

^^^^
Old 03-03-2008, 01:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

I start it, let it idle like 30 seconds then drive off under 3K till its warmed up.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I start it verify it has oil pressure, has plenty of gas (gas theft is a problem here in Washington sometimes), its charging and adjust the volume of the radio and drive away. How ever long that takes. I also don't go over 2500 RPM's until it's at operating temperature.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:48 AM
TECH Resident

well with the cam in my car... if I dont let it warm up for about 30 seconds... then its gonna stall out and it will be a ***** to start again...
Old 05-05-2008, 11:08 AM
Launching!

I let mine idle for about two minutes and easy off the pedal.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 Camaro SS
I'm not sure what a camero is but if i had a camaro with that many miles i would probably change the oil.
You do know it was a joke right?

Quick Reply: Is it a bad idea to let your LSx warm up before driving?