New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 05-13-2016, 03:11 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Newbiest Q of all time -- How to jack up the car

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 11:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbiest Q of all time -- How to jack up the car

This is my first F-body, it's an LT1 T/A and I had the damnest time trying to jack it up the other day. I found out where the jack points are, but that's where I was putting my jack under to lift it up. And it sucked. Plus it was one side at a time.

Plus where do I put the jack stands under?

Pictures would be extremely helpful.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by integraxtc
This is my first F-body, it's an LT1 T/A and I had the damnest time trying to jack it up the other day. I found out where the jack points are, but that's where I was putting my jack under to lift it up. And it sucked. Plus it was one side at a time.

Plus where do I put the jack stands under?

Pictures would be extremely helpful.
Just jack it up by the K-Member (Big piece of metal under motor) and put the jack stands on the Lower control arms or frame it depends what your doing. To jack up the rear end put the jack under the diff housing and put a jackstand on each end of the axle (Watch out of brake lines!)
Old 03-19-2008, 11:47 AM
TECH Resident

Pretty much what I was doing then. But I didn't do the axle because I was scared to mess up the brake lines.

Thanks alot.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

Don't worry, I had trouble my first time as well.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...9&d=1155530889

https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...1&d=1155530987

TJ
Old 03-19-2008, 11:59 AM
Teching In

heres a step by step process:

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm
click on "Install Documents" "Miscellaneous" "LS1 Lift Points (Floor jack and stands)"
Old 03-19-2008, 12:48 PM
11 Second Club

seriously im glad you asked, my buddies Dad died last week from improperly jacking up a car. BE SAFE
Old 03-19-2008, 01:00 PM
Teching In

sorry to hear that about your buddies Dad. But i can definately attest to the need of being careful on your jack-points. My dad was a mechanic for many many years and has seen ppl not use the correct points on the lift and watching the customers car fall 6ft to the ground
Old 03-19-2008, 01:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how do you get the jack under the k member? I still do each side because I can't figure out how to get the jack under there. Too far in.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mtinkle
sorry to hear that about your buddies Dad. But i can definately attest to the need of being careful on your jack-points. My dad was a mechanic for many many years and has seen ppl not use the correct points on the lift and watching the customers car fall 6ft to the ground
Holy ****, that is some series stuff there! Yes be very careful, ever since I've jacked up many different vehicles going back to when I was a young lad. I was always extra careful and till this day I still am. Whenever I get under a jacked up car I still have that extra caution and thought of the car crushing me if I'm not careful.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:12 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks alot. Funny thing is I found that website yesterday but I didn't see that article.

I'm sorry to hear that too. Can't be too careful, I'd rather look stupid than die.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by its turbo time
seriously im glad you asked, my buddies Dad died last week from improperly jacking up a car. BE SAFE
...omg...
Old 03-19-2008, 01:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

ya be carefull ide use ramps and stands, my grandpa had a car fall once when he was under it luckily it hit a wheell that was next to him and missed him by about an inch
Old 03-19-2008, 01:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

i forgot to mention if useing ramps make sure your ebrake is good enough to hold the car up if you lifting the front end and make sure to blcok the tires if lifting the back end
Old 03-19-2008, 01:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by nrs2420
how do you get the jack under the k member? I still do each side because I can't figure out how to get the jack under there. Too far in.
drive the car up on some wood (or anything else that will raise the car a few inches) jack it up by the k member
just push the jack past the plastic gaurd
Old 03-19-2008, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Once I have the car in the air I grab the quarter panel or something solid and try to shake the car off the jackstands before I get under, just incase I have to use some muscle on something underneith and the car moves. If its gonna fall I would rather do it on porpose standing next to it rather than by accident laying under it.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nrs2420
Go in from the side infront of the front tires... I assume your jack is hitting the air deflector for the radiator?
Old 03-19-2008, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hndakilr
drive the car up on some wood (or anything else that will raise the car a few inches) jack it up by the k member
just push the jack past the plastic gaurd
Another way which works with my Trans Am is to push the jack in at an angle from the front where the plastic airdam ends. You can get to the Kmember pretty easy.

For the back I've found it easiest to go in through the exhaust openings in the bumper with the jack to reach the rearend.

DEFINITELY MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR JACKSTANDS SECURE IN A SECURE SPOT.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:27 PM
Teching In

I like to drive my car up on some 2x4's so it is a little higher off the ground which allows me to get the jack underneath the air deflector when I go straight in from the front.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by its turbo time
Sorry to hear that man about 20 years ago we had a family member get both legs broke and a rib from a car falling on him,and that was enough for me. Even with the header install I wanted to do myself I was so worried about getting the car 30inchs in the air I decided to just let a speed shop do it since I needed a dynotune anyways i figured wat the hell right.

I always jack mine up on the subframe connectors and yeah I have to do both sides. I cant even get the jack directly under my car from the front because of that piece of plastic that always scrapes
Old 03-20-2008, 04:15 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TORK?
push the jack in at an angle from the front where the plastic air dam ends. You can get to the K member pretty easy.

For the back I've found it easiest to go in through the exhaust openings in the bumper with the jack to reach the rear end.
Yep, that's what I do

Quick Reply: Newbiest Q of all time -- How to jack up the car