Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine smoke question

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 11:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine smoke question

I currently just returned from a 100 mile trip and after coming to my first stoplight i smelled something strange and noticed a little smoke coming from my engine compartment. I pulled over and lifted the hood and saw a small amount of smoke was coming from somewhere. It was hard to tell where it was coming from because of a light wind...

But my car isn't overheating or anything and the smoke smells like it is smoke coming off a grill at a barbeque, my shirt and arms have that smell like being around that for a while. This is what is really odd to me and I'm completely lost as to what this could be...

Recently about two weeks ago I had a bunch of work done to the car, had the rear main seals, valve covers replaced, so maybe it's something related to that?

Any help, ideas, or similar situations would be nice. Oh and this is on a 2000 Z28 Camaro. thanks guys!
Old 04-06-2008, 11:41 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Maybe you hit some meat and it is stuck on the Header..

How is the Car running.. do the Gauges look normal?
Old 04-06-2008, 12:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha I could use some lunch

Yeah all the gauges are looking normal... I wish this smell could be posted, I swear it smells like a cookout or something...
Old 04-06-2008, 03:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Seriously sounds like you got some kind of wildlife cookin in there..doesn't sound like the smell of roasting Car Parts.

I hit a flock of Birds one time, killed 4 of them and one bounced on a couple of my Primaries..even for a Sparrow it still smelled like Chicken..
Old 04-09-2008, 07:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Take it for a good romp then park it with it running. Bring a friend and have the two of you look at it. Years ago I hit a possum with a Monte Carlo, had a piece of its skin on the header collector flange. It stunk pretty badly 'til it burned off. Good luck!