Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My First mod K&N CAI vs SlP Flow Pack

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My First mod K&N CAI vs SlP Flow Pack

I recently got my t/a and want to purchase my first mod this weekend, i am thinking to first upgrade my intake. I am thinking about K&N cold air intake for 300 dollars with shipping included (it is said to add roughly 15hp) For those who have it, is there any noticeable difference??? I have also seen an SLP flow pack for like 280 dollars, but i have seen people talking smack about them (estimated 25 hp, but does not seem believable). I have heard that i can just upgrade to a K&N air filter and an SLP lid, but i just dont see how this will be a better mod....

So tell me which is better: K&N CAI or flow pack??? Thinking about K&N

Thanx
Old 04-07-2008, 08:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

The K&N Cold Air kit is nice but you can spend your money more wisely. I would just buy a SLP, Whisper, Etc. pretty much all lids are created equal.

I would go to home depot and buy some generic black tubing and make your own smooth bellows.

I would then get a Fast Toys Ram Air Kit. I've read up on these and even though they don't really show any hp on the dyno, owners swear that they got .1-.2 in the 1/4 with it.

You spend about the same money and be better off. The K&N blocks the opening you would put the FTRA in. Good Luck
Old 04-07-2008, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kingc8r
The K&N Cold Air kit is nice but you can spend your money more wisely. I would just buy a SLP, Whisper, Etc. pretty much all lids are created equal.

I would go to home depot and buy some generic black tubing and make your own smooth bellows.

I would then get a Fast Toys Ram Air Kit. I've read up on these and even though they don't really show any hp on the dyno, owners swear that they got .1-.2 in the 1/4 with it.

You spend about the same money and be better off. The K&N blocks the opening you would put the FTRA in. Good Luck
Would an SLP air lid with K&N air filter make more sense than buying K&N system?? Ive heard that lid gives you up to 10rwhp?
Old 04-07-2008, 08:54 PM
11 Second Club

K&Ns are like 35-50 dollars, I'd just use the stock 5-10 dollar filter. People tend to over oil their K&N and it messes things up. Plus I'm one who thinks it doesn't add much performance.

The options I told you about is what I went with personally, you can choose which direction to go. If I was going to spend money I would choose things that are proven
Old 04-07-2008, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kingc8r
K&Ns are like 35-50 dollars, I'd just use the stock 5-10 dollar filter. People tend to over oil their K&N and it messes things up. Plus I'm one who thinks it doesn't add much performance.

The options I told you about is what I went with personally, you can choose which direction to go. If I was going to spend money I would choose things that are proven
I know for sure that Lid from Fast toys is a proven performance additive, but it is like 150 dollars and i would have to upgrade my MAF. Since i am pretty much a noob, i dont want to go into electrical stuff yet. Perhaps it is simpler to install CAI (with instructions off course), but as you said i could spend my money a little wiser. With my next paycheck i will have 1000 dollars to spend, i just dont want to screw up. Hmmm, maybe Hooker Exhaust (more research to be done lol)
Old 04-08-2008, 12:08 AM
11 Second Club

I never said to go with the Fast toys 85mm Lid.....

I'm bone stock like you, I just made a decent purchase, here is the set up I just went with.

Hooker Lts Ceramic Coated 1 3/4s $379.99
Hooker O/R Y $189.99
Hooker Aerochamber Catback $329.99
SLP Lid $94.05
Fast Toys Ram Air 181.99
Total: $1175.96 + $21 shipping for The Lid & Ram Air, the exhaust had free shipping
Old 04-08-2008, 12:08 AM
11 Second Club

And when I get paid I'm going to get a DMH Cut Out
Old 04-08-2008, 07:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have a carbon fiber K&N FIPK thats almost new for sale for 190$ to your door. I went back to a typical lid setup because of the hidden dry nitrous hit I wanted to run. It looks new and performed awesome while giving the car a different look compared to the lid ever average person has...

The FIPK gained 9.8RWHP and 8.4RWTQ on my 98 Z28 through a 4200 converter and 18X11 Wheels on a 133,000 mile motor.

With a six speed or a stock stalled auto 15RWHP ut of the K&N would be reasonable.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

honestly id say do your exhaust first. but overall id say you need to sit down and make a plan of what you want to do with your car. this will help you make decisions about what parts to buy
Old 04-09-2008, 05:26 AM
Launching!

Save your $$.

Just get a lid, the brand is not important, they all do the same thing. If possible, check the classifieds, pick up a used one and run a stock paper filter. Do the "free ram air" mod, and thats about as good as its gonna get.
You should get out for about $100.

Save your money for something else.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty sure I saw a lid in the for sale section for under $50 a few days ago. I have a used K & N I will sell for $25 shipped. Good luck........
Old 04-09-2008, 01:01 PM
11 Second Club

A lot of good information in here. When it comes to exhaust...use this site ls1sounds.com to listen to setups that fit your taste.

I would do as 96ta said and build a mods list for yourself. The best advice I can say is any mod you are thinking about , do a search on it and really read up on it.

By making a list and searching for answers you will save yourself time & money. It's easy to get lost in what you really want. Do you want a quick/fast street car, street/strip, full out drag, road racer? Be honest with yourself.

FWIW, I have an excel spreadsheet made up with all of the mods I want to buy in the order I need to buy them. I wouldn't try saving up and buying everything all at once as you will probably never be able to save up. Good luck man, I hope we all have answered your questions
Old 04-09-2008, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by black_phoenix
Would an SLP air lid with K&N air filter make more sense than buying K&N system?? Ive heard that lid gives you up to 10rwhp?
i would go with this.