New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

should i buy auto or 6 speed???

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 10:51 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: should i buy auto or 6 speed???

It's crap to say that you can't be quick with a manual. You just have to know how to drive is all, it takes a little more skill than just mashing the pedal and holding it there. Taner in the drag racing forum is piloting his LT1 6spd. car to mid 9's... I have a M6 and I love it, wouldn't have it any other way. If my car was strictly drag only with no street duty I'd go with the auto however.... I like to "drive" the car rather than be just along for the ride.
I have to agree
M6 is the way to go if your car is a daily driver,
and for road race,street
if you know how to drive,(KNOW HOW TO DRIVE)
you can drag it,but i would say an A4 for draging,
it is more constant in shifting at the right ponits.

Old 08-07-2003, 11:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

another vote for an A4. I think with a proper stall it is just as good as any M6 and no bent pushrods.
Old 08-07-2003, 01:56 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A4 if you want to be LAZY
M6 if YOU wan to DRIVE the car
M6 will always beat an A4 if the drivers are skilled because YOU have all the control...not some computer that thinks it knows what you are going to do and why.
Old 08-07-2003, 02:56 PM
TECH Resident

I look at it this way: I bought this car to have fun. The most fun you can have is with an M6... I tear up my tires everyday, and enjoy every minute of it. I will gladly replace my clutch and tires whenever needed!

Tommy
Old 08-07-2003, 03:26 PM
Launching!

One question. Do you enjoy twisty roads? If so M6. If not get the auto.
Old 08-07-2003, 03:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy either one and convert it to the other when you get fed up.LOL
Old 08-10-2003, 05:03 PM
TECH Resident

dont take it too personal, M6ers
its just that i live in ricer central
i have the only domestic around here
and they all think that a dragster must be "stick"
or it stands no chance in the 1/4
(wtf?)

i get frustrated after awhile hearing,
"oh, its an automatic"
while they have a disappointed look in their face.
so of course, there is some manual/auto hostility from me.

bah. its quicker,
but next time i am getting an M6
i dont get hit up enough to make it worth losing out on all the fun.
Old 08-10-2003, 05:58 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Manual sucks so bad that Ferrari and Lamborghini use the "dinosaur technology" in their cars.
Actually, Ferrari makes one of the best automatic transmissions money can buy.
Old 08-10-2003, 09:13 PM
On The Tree

Ferarri doesn't use an automatic in the technical sense. It;s still a gear driven trans but uses a computer and mechanical/electrical devices to shift the trans for you. It's faster than a human can shift and shifts at the exact right time to get the best performance. The trans itself is still a manual, there is no torque convertor, unless Ferrari has come out with a true automatic within the last 5 years. BMW also uses a similar thing called SMG, Lambo also has a silmilar thing. It's different than the system used by Audi and the automatic BMW's that has buttons on the steering wheel that shifts the auto up and down. I think BMW started that and it does work ok, but it's not a manual like the Ferrari uses.
Old 08-10-2003, 10:11 PM
Teching In

Ferarri doesn't use an automatic in the technical sense. It;s still a gear driven trans but uses a computer and mechanical/electrical devices to shift the trans for you. It's faster than a human can shift and shifts at the exact right time to get the best performance. The trans itself is still a manual, there is no torque convertor, unless Ferrari has come out with a true automatic within the last 5 years. BMW also uses a similar thing called SMG, Lambo also has a silmilar thing. It's different than the system used by Audi and the automatic BMW's that has buttons on the steering wheel that shifts the auto up and down. I think BMW started that and it does work ok, but it's not a manual like the Ferrari uses.
That's what I thought
Old 08-11-2003, 01:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

He says he would be a lot more confident in an A4. I guess I would rather have an A4 instead of my M6 if i was afraid of losing to the car next to me due to my lack of shifting ability. An A4 with a stall can put a car on my out of the hole, but i will reel him in like a big bass before i hit 3rd. M6 all the way.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:14 AM
Teching In

He says he would be a lot more confident in an A4. I guess I would rather have an A4 instead of my M6 if i was afraid of losing to the car next to me due to my lack of shifting ability. An A4 with a stall can put a car on my out of the hole, but i will reel him in like a big bass before i hit 3rd. M6 all the way.
But if the A4 in question has a high stall TC and tires to utilize it then your not reeling in anyone by the time the 1/4 mile track is done.

So will you reel the A4 in? Yes I am sure you would by the top of third assuming mods are equal but.....

The A4 properly stalled, proper tires and equal mods will beat the M6 in the 1/4 mile race more times then not. So the question I ask myself is would I rather win the 1/4 mile race that is legal at a track or the highway race that is illegal and can cause you to lose your license and pay very hefty fines.

I'm not trying to insult M6's. I think manuals are more fun to drive and I plan to make my next car a 2001 or 2002 M6 and then transfer all my bolt-ons minus the TC I am currently saving for. But don't think you can't beat an M6 ever because you can. You just won't do it at 110 MPH and over but do you really want to race at those speeds on a public highway?

To each thier own I guess.

A4 = better for track duty and heavy traffic.

M6 = more fun to cruise around in and better gas mileage.

LS1 of either trans = fun, fun and more fun.

These are just my opinions but they seem to be the popular opinion from the numerous A4 vs M6 threads I have read.

Good Luck with your decision.

Old 08-12-2003, 02:05 AM
TECH Resident

by the M6 and then we'll swap
you can have my 4L60E w/ 3400 2.0
and transgo

im tired of doing 3000rpm at 5mph in the parking lot.
Old 08-12-2003, 03:22 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

no Way is an A$ ever gonna be faster than an M6....Its all about gear ratios.....
now If it was an A6.....I might be game for that.....good luck convincing somebody to create on that will bolt right up to our cars....(if you do get lucky and convince some one...good luck affording it) Just Face the facts....

An M6 will beat an A4 in every category except for one....Laziness....An A4 always wins in the How lazy are you category...
Old 08-12-2003, 08:43 AM
Teching In

no Way is an A$ ever gonna be faster than an M6....Its all about gear ratios.....
now If it was an A6.....I might be game for that.....good luck convincing somebody to create on that will bolt right up to our cars....(if you do get lucky and convince some one...good luck affording it) Just Face the facts....

An M6 will beat an A4 in every category except for one....Laziness....An A4 always wins in the How lazy are you category...
It appears we may have a troll. I find it difficult to believe that this person would actually believe that

But then again stranger things have happened. Don't take this seriously. If you want to see what I am talking about here is a good measure. No it's not perfect but it will give you an idea of who is faster. I'm not talking 20 roll to 150 but the dead stop to 1/4 mile track run.

Go to the drag racing section here. Then look at the ET database near the top. Inside are the best ET's from people who hang out here. There are some very impressive 1.3ish 60' times and of course single digit 1/4 ET. Now look at the top 20. You could keep going but the top 20 will do. Then look to the right to see trans type of the vehicle that pulled off that timeslip. The list as of this morning for 1-20 was:

1) A3
2) A3
3) A2
4) A4
5) A4
6) A2
7) A2
8) A4
9) M6
10) A3
11) A3
12) A2
13) A3
14) A3
15) A3
16) A3
17) A4
18) A3
19) A4
20) A3

Notice two things. In the top 20 ET times only one M6 and eight automatics did better. This is not to say M6's can not be fast at the track. They rule HWY races and can beat any STOCK A4. However the A4 is ideal for making a drag racing machine because of high stall TC allowing insanely low 60' times. Plus it takes a lot more to break the A4 10 bolt rear then it does the M6. Now all these guys would clearly have to upgrade rearend, suspension, tranny but the average guy with bolt-ons can stay stock if he wants to and still launch hard with the A4.

It's not lazy bro. It's just plain smart IF the person in question wants to dominate the track and have an easier time in bumper to bumper traffic. If all you want is to have fun cruising around town and on the highways then by all means the M6 is more fun and will win you a lot of races. I'll never say that the A4 can win from a stop to 1/2 mile but I will say with confidence it can win from a stop to 1/4 mile.

I guess that's why the M6's have higher trap speeds (on average) and the A4's have better ET's (again on average). There are exceptions to every rule but in general this will be the case. I now anxiously await the flame response this is sure to get.

P.S. notice the lack of A6's in the above list. In fact most were A3 or A2. Amazing.

Old 08-12-2003, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Actually GM Hydramatic just recently unveiled their new 6 speed automatic transmission. The bolt pattern on the bellhousing looks very similar to ours.

Look for it in the near future bolted up behind LS1's or their derivatives at the time.

It's in the latest issue of Chevy High Performance.
Old 08-12-2003, 08:07 PM
10 Second Club

i just put a 3800 converter with a trans go shift kit. I'm very happy, there is nothing like punching it and seeing the revs kick up to 4 grand. An a4 with a verter will out 60 foot most manual cars out there. The verter keeps the revs up in the powerband too.
Old 08-13-2003, 05:49 AM
dug
Banned

One thing to consider with a M6 is that the clutch hydraulics are basically defective from the factory. Its ok when the car is stock but once you start addin power and sticky tires the clutch will have problems.

Its not a simple matter of wearing out the clutch and replacing it. There can be problems with clutch disengagement that effects shifting and hurts the trans. A4 is the way to go if you want the least amount of hassle.
Old 08-13-2003, 11:00 AM
On The Tree

I have a m6 and for the yr I've had it I wish I would have at least tested a auto. My ls1 is the hardest car I have ever driven. It's work driving this thing well. I hate the imprecise light clutch and the way to high 1st gear. Making driving hard. When I step into my 89 5.0 stang it's just so easy to drive. I wish I had the auto. Much better for me. I live in constant stop and go with hills everywhere. Sure a set of 4.10 gears would solve my problem but that would void my warranty so that's not gonna happen. A auto takes no work to drive just push the go pedal and your gone. No clutch sticking to the floor and going up in smoke.
Old 08-13-2003, 11:53 AM
Staging Lane

I would say get the auto, get a TC, and **** off some M6 people in 1/4 mile races. I'm telling ya, they always get three to four cars on me out of the hole, and I cannot catch up. After my heads and spray, I may go to an auto conversion.