New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cowl induction hood? I know its dumb question but..

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008 | 09:44 AM
On The Tree

Default Cowl induction hood? I know its dumb question but..

I know this is a dumb question, I just never really asked or had explained to me how cowl induction works (other than what I think is the obvious reason) but specifically, how well does it work, cools engine?, more than that? I did try a search but the majority of threads regarding cowl hoods are in the appearance section. Thanks. Moderator, if this is wrong area for the post, please move with my apologies.
Old 04-20-2008 | 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

If done correctly its a cold air induction. On carbed cars the way it works is to seal the cowl opening off from the rest of the hood and allow the air charge to come from the opening in the cowl. The spot behind the cowl when you are moving is a low pressure area and pulls cold air into the cowl. Nascar cars use a similar induction system without having a bulging hood.

Here is a pic I just found on a quick search you can see on the hood where it seals to the carb cleaner cover creating a seal so the engine only takes in air from the cowl.

Now on modern cars they don't take in air from the cowl so really it does nothing but allow heat to escape when you are not moving. heck some of them that I see on F-cars don't even have the cowl opened so really its not doing anything but allowing for extra room for the engine, possibly a little better cooling, but also a good weight savings.. plus it looks wicked.
Old 09-01-2008 | 10:10 AM
11 Second Club

Cowl hoods on our vehicles allow room for the roots supercharger, that's about it
Old 09-01-2008 | 10:50 AM
TECH Junkie

My cowl is opened for cooling but with a stock hood.

Quick Reply: Cowl induction hood? I know its dumb question but..