Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

holes in ram air baffle?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 09:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default holes in ram air baffle?

i noticed that my recently purchased, about a month ago, ws6 trans am had holes drilled in the right side baffle in the ram air hood. the holes are about 1/2" diameter. any suggestions as to why this was done, especially to just one side? also noticed that when at WOT, the car has a whistle or high pitch whine, no supercharger on the car......at least not yet
maybe it's the holes causing this? preciate the input.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The rivets that get drilled out to debaffle it are on the underside of the hood. Is that what you're talking about? Does one side still have the baffle in it? The ram air effect can make a slight whistling sound at high speeds, especially with aftermarket lid.

Last edited by stockerws6; 05-05-2008 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:11 PM
TECH Resident

the whistle could be from your air box lid if you have an after market one.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:52 PM
Staging Lane

both sides have the baffle in them, but one side has holes drilled in the black plastic baffle that hangs down behind the screen covering the ram air hole. i can tell they were drilled because it is not a clean cut, some material from the drilling is still hanging.
i'm pretty sure it's a stock air lid. the holes are drilled in a pattern along the width of the baffle, two rows high, about four or five columns wide. does that make sense?
Old 05-05-2008, 10:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02ws6NBM
both sides have the baffle in them, but one side has holes drilled in the black plastic baffle that hangs down behind the screen covering the ram air hole. i can tell they were drilled because it is not a clean cut, some material from the drilling is still hanging.
i'm pretty sure it's a stock air lid. the holes are drilled in a pattern along the width of the baffle, two rows high, about four or five columns wide. does that make sense?
Sounds like someone took the difficult route to try and get more air in, instead of just pulling them out.