Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Wheel locks

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 01:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Wheel locks

So when I bought my car it did not come with the wheel lock key. I was told they were the stock wheels locks (looks like an oak leaf pattern?) So how can I get them off? I was thinking about just going to a tire place and see if they can get them off for me (probally have a key) or try a chisle in the groove and try and twist it off? All advise is greatly appreciated-Tim
Old 05-22-2008, 07:51 AM

You have a few options to get them off. I had the same problem and I contacted Amcor wheel lock company. http://www.amcorlocks.com/ They were able to send me a replacement key. This will work if you can wait for the key to show up. You can also try getting a kit to remove them, or find a "twisty" socket that will fit the locks. Taking it to a shop is also an option, but I dunno how much it would cost to do that. I called a few shops that wanted $75 a wheel to remove em! Good luck man
Old 05-22-2008, 08:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you really have to you can hammer a regular lug nut socket onto the locknut, it will render the lugnut unusable, but it will get it off.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the spare tire wheel well area there should be a sticker indicating which wheel lock part number to re-order.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MjMaro
If you really have to you can hammer a regular lug nut socket onto the locknut, it will render the lugnut unusable, but it will get it off.
X2, don't bother with anything else.

Get a sledge hammer and pound the socket over the lock then rachet it off. 5-10 minutes and you are done.

Don't screw around with trying to find a key, they are all dead ends. Once you get the locks off you can either replace them with regular lugnuts or buy a new set of locks with a key.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:33 PM
Teching In

Most places that do tires have sockets that will take off stripped nuts, or wheel locks. Wont get to use the nuts again, but i gets them off, id imagine they wouldnt charge more than 10 bucks
Old 05-22-2008, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kingdaveofblair
Most places that do tires have sockets that will take off stripped nuts, or wheel locks. Wont get to use the nuts again, but i gets them off, id imagine they wouldnt charge more than 10 bucks
When I went to discount tire they did not have a key for the stock wheel locks and they wanted to charge $40 to cut them off with a chance to damage your wheels.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:50 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just pound a socket on it

Search the Wheel and Tire section. This has been done by a lot of people with great results

EDIT: read these

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ht=locks+wheel

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ht=wheel+locks

Last edited by Z28/2002; 05-22-2008 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

40 bucks gets you the kit.

http://toolsandmore.us/index.asp?Pag...ROD&ProdID=357

Then you can go out and get some real wheels with it! (j/k)

You tap the removal tool on and it cinches down on the lock and comes off easily. I removed my lost-key locks in seconds with a kit like this. Locks really are nearly worthless. They'll stop someone from casually stealing your wheels, but anyone that's out to steal wheels will have a kit like this.

There are other kits out there, that's just one I came up with quickly from Google.

Quick Reply: Stock Wheel locks