Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats the problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 10:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the problem

So I installed pacesetter LT's ory and magnaflow cat back. I have the front 02's hooked up and barand new spark plugs but its running like super super rich. Like it will backfire a tad while at a stoplight for awhile or I have to get on it a couple times in order to "clear out" the exhaust system. As long as I hold the rpms above 2200 rpm it will not fall on its face when i give it gas. Do I need to get it tuned? I didnt think I did with only exhaust? All advice is greatly appreciated-Tim
Old 06-09-2008, 10:33 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmm thought most of the time it would lean us out....
Old 06-09-2008, 10:39 AM
On The Tree

I knew it would richen up because of the rear o2 not being in it but shouldnt be this bad
Old 06-09-2008, 11:16 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

oh didnt catch that part..why dont you plug in the rears?
Old 06-09-2008, 11:20 AM
Banned

Rear O2's gone will not cause it to be rich.

Backfiring is probably something small like a cracked spark plug or wire not on tight.

Exhaust leaks can cause false front O2 readings and screw with the AFR.

Seen several posts where people have similiar problems and find their O2 wires burned against the exhaust.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:22 AM
On The Tree

there are nt leaks and I replaced the sparkplugs after the headers were on (none are cracked) Ill just have to look into it further
Old 06-09-2008, 11:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bmx4Rizzo
there are nt leaks and I replaced the sparkplugs after the headers were on (none are cracked) Ill just have to look into it further
You cant always see a cracked plug. Rich from a new header install won't cause backfiring at idle.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

he weird part is that it runs like a bat out of hell at wot or when you punch it from a roll as long as you are about 2k
Old 06-09-2008, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by D-Webz
I am glad I do not have mine. It made my backfire like pops after I put my LT on. Once I got rid of them no more Pops coming from my exhaust.
Found this on the revoming a.i.r thread would this work?
Old 06-09-2008, 08:03 PM
Banned

Found this on the revoming a.i.r thread would this work?
The AIR is only on for less than 2 minutes after cold start.

Before I removed my air system I was turning it on and off with HPTuners manual controls and it only makes it backfire and rumble under decelleration.

I'm telling you if it backfires while just sitting there idling you have an intermittent ignition problem. Loose wire or spark plug cracked. All it takes is the socket to be crooked on the plug and it can crack it enough to where you can't see it. And it doesn't do it at higher rpm because it's firing more frequently not giving it enough time for extra fuel to build up.

I'd go out at night, let your eyes adjust real good and in total darkness look at each plug when it's running.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
The AIR is only on for less than 2 minutes after cold start.

Before I removed my air system I was turning it on and off with HPTuners manual controls and it only makes it backfire and rumble under decelleration.

I'm telling you if it backfires while just sitting there idling you have an intermittent ignition problem. Loose wire or spark plug cracked. All it takes is the socket to be crooked on the plug and it can crack it enough to where you can't see it. And it doesn't do it at higher rpm because it's firing more frequently not giving it enough time for extra fuel to build up.

I'd go out at night, let your eyes adjust real good and in total darkness look at each plug when it's running.
THANK YOU SO MUCH! Changed all my plugs today and the rear on the driver side wasnt cracked (that I could tell) but it was wet. Swapped out all my plugs and it doesnt load up or sputter. Thank you guys so much-Tim
Old 06-13-2008, 04:07 PM
Banned

THANK YOU SO MUCH! Changed all my plugs today and the rear on the driver side wasnt cracked (that I could tell) but it was wet. Swapped out all my plugs and it doesnt load up or sputter. Thank you guys so much-Tim
Thanks for the update. Glad you got it running good.