Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 03:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default PCV questions

I just finished up installing my new 402 last weekend and I was planning on doing some auto VE tunning today. So I fired it up and was checking everything out under the hood before going for a drive. I pulled off the oil fill cap to see if I had any blowby. The damn cap didn't want to come off. I finally got it off and stuck my hand over the hole to see if I could feel any pressure. Instead of pressure I had a very strong vaccum. I'm thinking it can't be good to pull this much of a vaccum on the crankcase. I'm guessing I have my PCV stuff set up wrong.

I'm not running the procharger right now because I want to learn a little more about tunning before I try to tune with it on. Anyway when we installed the engine I took the hose that was going to the inlet of the procharger and I moved it to the intake right behind the throttle body. Right now my PCV is set up as follows.

The PCV valve is in the stock location in the drivers side valve cover. The cross over tube runs to the passengers side valve cover. Then I have a vaccum line running from that valve cover connected to a T. I connected the LS2 valley cover to this T and then ran it to the intake behind the throttle body. With it like this there is no where for fresh air "filtered" to enter the crankcase. Should there be?
Old 06-22-2008, 05:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well with a little searching and reading I think I figured out what the problem was. I had the PCV intake air comming from the passenger valve cover T'ed into the valley cover PCV fitting then ran to a vaccum source. The crankcase was just under a constant vaccum.

So I removed the T and capped off the valley cover PCV fitting and hooked the passenger valve cover PCV intake to the port on the top/passengers side of the throttle body. Which I'm guessing pulls air from in front of the throttle blade and not behind it like I had it before.

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=18

That guide cleared things up a bit. I ended up hooking my PCV system back up like the stock LS1 system since I'm running it NA for the time being.

Feel free to leave comments or call me a dumbass. Hopefully I didn't hurt anything by having the crankcase under so much vacuum. I've only run it like that for around 150 miles.