Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

p0174 Running Lean? IAT sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 10:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default p0174 Running Lean? IAT sensor?

Ok guys about a month ago I put on an SLP lid, and I think i messed up the IAT sensor while shoving it back in the grommet, the little metal casing around it kida broke off, and ever since i've had the SES light on. I went to advanced today and it gave me the p0174 lean code? Could this be why, or do you think it's something else?
Old 06-24-2008, 06:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the engine for vacaum leaks. Is the code for lean bank # it is normally a number for a O2 sensor. Mine a while back was for a lean bank 2. Come to find out there was a vacaum leak. The best way to find a vacaum leak is take a can of brake clean and spary it along all the vacaum hoses, if the engine changes idle or dies in that area there is going to be a split in a vacuam hose or at a connector. Check the PCV system as well seeing that it is right under were you were working. There can be alot of things that cause a lean code. If you are not aware lean means the motor is getting more air then recommened to atomize with the fuel. The PCM will correct the ratio so far, normally I think is 25% either way. Could also be a intake gasket leaking, not likey. If you have some bodies that live near you or not worried about a few buck switch the IAT sensor out and have the guys at advanced clear the code and see if comes back on. You might have to bribe them to do that for you or just disconnect the battery cable for a few minutes. Like I said earlier I had a lean code and I posted it the fuel section, not one reponse. You might be flying a blind for a while. Hope I might of helped you,
Old 06-25-2008, 07:18 AM
On The Tree

Thank you very much your post was very helpful. Since the computer automatically "corrects" being lean, is it safe to drive until getting fixed?
Old 06-25-2008, 07:25 AM
TECH Resident

Yes it's fine. Might not run the way it should though.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:00 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same code happen before I left to Korea. still waiting to fix it when I go home on mid-tour... total engine teardown coming so we will see what other codes I might get.

Quick Reply: p0174 Running Lean? IAT sensor?