New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaky Header/Heads Issue....Need Advise!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 03:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Leaky Header/Heads Issue....Need Advise!!!

I got my car inspected in late April, and they did not check the car for ground clearance prior to driving into their car bays. They had the underground employee bays, and got my y-pipe/header caught and it pulled my y-pipe off the header.

Now my car has been in and out of the shop 3 time with the check engine light being stubborn as all heck! First, the y-pipe and header was not sealed. **fix: welded it tight. (Note, I have the SLP addn Camaro SS w/SLP headers. Bad ground clearance!) Second, found that the rear pass. side 02 was malfunctioning. **fix:replaced. Third, after review, heard slight sound of what seemed like pressure leaving from the header/head connection. Compression was within spec so it isn't bad, but that dang light won't go away.

Now that I've bored you with the background, my question is on the most reliable and economical fix for this issue. I am going to check the tightness of the header bolts this weekend, but if they are tight, and there is no stress fractures at the connection point, can I use some kind of gasket sealer around the header/head connection? Is it going to be too hot for sealer?

Thanks for any advise,
Brad
Old 07-03-2008, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

new header gasket will likely fix your leaking headers, and did you get racing headers? if so have you tuned out your air?
Old 07-04-2008, 12:36 AM
Teching In

Tuned my air? I have a diablo sport tuner, but no, I have not had it dyno. You think that after all the pressure they underwent all I would need is a new gasket?

Thanks,
Brad