New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it worth It

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003 | 06:19 PM
Staging Lane

Default Is it worth It

I found a car that I want to buy, and to me it sounds like a good deal, but I want your guys opinion. The car is a 99' TA, with 33,000 miles. The car is a M6, with ttops. This car also has some modifications done to it. Here are the modifications that have been done to it.
SC Lid w/Raptor Hood
Thunder Racing Custom Grind Split Pattern Camshaft
224/227 .563/.569 114 LSA
Comp Springs & Comp Titanium Retainers
Thunder Racing Push Rods
160 Thermostat
Nitrous Express Wet 125 Shot (also have 50-75-100-150 jets)
NX Twin Split Purge
NX LS1 Switches
Granatelli MAF
Flowmaster w/Cut Out
Harlan Shift Light /5800
NGK Plugs TR6
PRO 5.0 Shifter
HOTCHKIS Shock/Strut Tower Brace
HOTCHKIS Pan Hard Rod Adj.
HOTCHKIS Performance Sway Bars
IRS (Terminator Series) Lower Control Arms
INTRAX Springs
2000 C5 WHEELS
17x8.5 Front and 18x9.5 Rear
Kumho 712 255/40 ZR17 FRONT AND 275/35 ZR18 REAR

I have seen several pictures of the car and it looks like it has been well taken care of. The owner is asking 15,900 for this car, do you guys think that I should buy this car. The only thing that I am worried about is that the car has nitrous, I talked to the owner, and he said he has only used it once, and that was on the dyno. And the dyno numbers are 421 RWHP, and 524 RWT, before the cam was installed. Do you guys think that the nitrous has given the engine any problems, and is that nitrous kit fairly safe. I would really appreciate some imput, it would help alot.
Old 08-20-2003 | 06:36 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Default Re: Is it worth It

Those dyno #'s must be w/ the juice.
Looks like a nice ride that's most likely seen its share of wicked launches (on or off the track). Look into buying a 12 bolt.
Old 08-20-2003 | 07:27 PM
Staging Lane

That would be the first thing that I would do to the car If i decide to buy it. But do you think that this car is worth buying. and is that a good nitrous kit. Also what kind of 60' times do you think this car will run, and what about Quarter times. I am just getting some second opinions before I make a purchase.
Old 08-20-2003 | 07:40 PM
8 Second Club

and som wicked sub frame connectors...if the chassis hasnt already twisted.....thats my nex purchase after my cam goes in...and before I go to the track..... and definately a 12 bolt...anything upwards of 450 and the rear will start to toast....all it takes is one time with too much traction...and
Old 08-20-2003 | 07:45 PM
Staging Lane

Hey soundengineer what part of Kansas City are you from I think I may have seen that license plate before. And Do you think that that car I am looking at is worth buying.
Old 08-20-2003 | 08:10 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

With a 12 bolt, good clutch, stickies, and the juice, you're looking at one go go fast vehicle. Low 11's all day baby.
Old 08-20-2003 | 08:15 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

Hard to say without knowing the price if it's worth it or not.
Old 08-20-2003 | 08:18 PM
Staging Lane

Do you think that this car will be hard for me to get used to. I am only 17 and I will be paying for the car and mods my self, and I am trying to get the biggest bang for the buck. This will be the fastest car I have ever driven, if i decide to buy it. Do you think that I should buy it. I think this would be a good car for me because I want to start racing, and It already has a good base for me to start on.
Old 08-20-2003 | 08:54 PM
Staging Lane

He is asking 15,900
Old 08-20-2003 | 09:47 PM
TECH Resident

I would really question his statement that he only used the juice one time. That sounds like . Why would anyone spend the money on nitrous and then never use it? I hope he didn't try to tell you it was his grandma's car as well. The truth is when you buy a car with a lot of go fast mods, you might as well assume the guy used them. With a car that's modded that much, who knows how it was treated. I'd say buying that car would be a catch 22 and you better have some extra cash on hand to fix things he may have broken or worn out with hard driving.
Old 08-20-2003 | 10:03 PM
TECH Resident

Man, you beat me to it. The chances of that juice being used once is so slim I won't even go into it. That's like installing a supercharger and telling someone the car's never been above 3K. IMO, that's ludicrous. However, the price seems reasonable. Beware an improperly applied nitrous kit. When something isn't accounted for, the potential for engine damage is likely. If I were you, for my piece of mind I'd either store some serious bank for repairs or skip it. It's a crap shoot in all honesty.
Old 08-20-2003 | 10:03 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

Have you checked the VIN number in Carfax? Carfax won't catch everything but sometimes it catches a lot of stuff. Has the car ever been hit? Is he the orginal owner? What condition are the tires currently in?

I have a hard time beliving the story about the nitrous only being used once.

Will you have extra money on hand to fix stuff if it breaks?

I'd favor a stock untouched car personally.
Old 08-20-2003 | 10:07 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

BTW are emissions an issue where your at? If you have emissions testing what type of test? Sniffer, roller, OBD-II scan etc?

Seems like that car should have headers on it with the listed mod's...

Is the inspection current on the car?

Friend of mine bought a car that wasn't current on inspection and it turned out the car couldn't pass the sniffer test.
Old 08-21-2003 | 05:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think I would pass this one up. Has he said why he is selling it, and the car has 33k miles on it too. Thats kinda low for the amount of miles on that car(well atleast in texas it is) I call BS on it. On top of that I would never buy a car knowing that it had nitrous on it at all. Then about the spraying one time joke, not many people get nitrous and go for s 125 shot, most step it up by 25 each time. IM 17 just like you are and personally I wouldnt care to start off with something this powerful anyway. Im not trying to be dick, but what makes you think you can handle the power of a stock car let alone the amount of tq that nitrous produces. Id seriously take my time and find something else, dont rush into buying a used car.
Old 08-21-2003 | 05:58 PM
8 Second Club

HE's gotta be lyin about the juice only being on 1 time....and If he didnt tune for it.....bad news....which would be the reason for only once....I would get him to let you take it into a dyno / shop and have them give it the once over.... drive it a round the city and on the highway for a good 100 miles....see how it feels in all situations...look around for leaks....lots of possible problems if he sprayed without tuning...however if he tuned and didnt put it back....... get the drift...I wouldnt buy any car thats been blown or sprayed...too many posibilities of the dumbass factor...

PASS

Find a good NA car that you can build on and you will be much happier....unless you can talk him down to 10000...then that 6 grand can be used if there is a problem....so you can rebuild. besides...you're young...live at home for a while...save up money...do real mods on a NA car....do the spray or blow it later....besides...if you beast it out first...the other stuff acts way better.(but you do have to plan a little more for it.

and for the record I live in the Overland Park area....and Mix 4-6 night a week at THE HURRICANE. and work for a few major sound companies...so I work a lot of Pro Level Music...I got season Ticket to royals...so you might have seen my car there(if you park in lot M)

Old 08-21-2003 | 09:05 PM
Staging Lane

I think that I will pass on that car, because you guys have brought up a few things that I didn't really think about. And building the car is half of the fun. Now I just need to find another TA with good miles, M6, WS6, Ttops, and a dark color. I've only got about 18,000 to spend right now, and I may be able to stretch that a little, but I have to pay for the car and the mods and the gas, and the Insurance so I can't stretch it very much. Any body got any ideas as to where I could find one that would be worth buying. Then next spring when I have some more money I will start modding it.
soundengineer I'm I the Overland Park area to. I have probably seen you driving around, thats why I have seen that plate before.