New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shocks ??????

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 06:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so konis hook pretty hard and perform well on the street and track? just trying to pick up some more info for myself as well as provide more for Z28 yo ho. personally id want something that gives me good cornering, and hooking for the track and street along with no squat lean(this will come in to play more with sway bars) or front end dip when braking. those are my preferences as well with id guess alot of others.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

it depends totally on what your after, their is always going to be a trade off as a corner carver and a strip car are on complete different ends of the suspension spectrum
Old 07-20-2008, 06:12 PM
((((((Administrator))))))

KoniSA that I have with Hotchkis and my friends with stock springs ride GREAT! The KoniSA = single adjustable. If too harsh or too soft simply adjust them, and you can ask Strano what are good for the street/strip set-up. He is a great guy to talk to, and his site has a section for FAQ's about set ups. Here is also what his site says about them:

--2 spring perch positions (stock or approx. 3/4" lower)
--Direct replacement for OEM
--Huge handling improvement, superior body motion control with less roll rate generation
--Firm ride quality without being harsh
--Externally adjustable/on car rebound adjustment on the front, Internal rebound/off car adjustment on the rear shocks.
--The best shock for performance applications and/or lowering springs
--Rebuildable and Revalveable for custom setups
--Also known as “Koni Yellows”
--Lifetime Warranty

Peace,
Craig.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by usaf_hess
so konis hook pretty hard and perform well on the street and track? just trying to pick up some more info for myself as well as provide more for Z28 yo ho. personally id want something that gives me good cornering, and hooking for the track and street along with no squat lean(this will come in to play more with sway bars) or front end dip when braking. those are my preferences as well with id guess alot of others.
QA1's will give good launch, but terrible cornering(floaty, disconnected and overly stiff), ride like either a boat, or an old truck depending on how you adjust them.
Konis will provide a better-than-stock launch, significantly improved handling (you can feel everything the car is doing, and when pushed to the limit the car behaves very neutral and if it oversteers/understeers it does so in a very slow, gradual manner that is easy to control). It takes to cornering on bumpy roads like a champ, doesn't hop all around like stock.
The ride is also improved over stock, even when adjusted for handling. Think german sports sedan like ride, firm, but buttery smooth.

EDIT: if you are on Eibach sportlines do yourself a favor and take them off, burn them, and **** on the ashes.
But seriously, they are arguably the worst spring for our cars(from a performance standpoint and in terms of ride), way too low and not near enough spring rate to keep you off the bump stops. Your even better off with stock springs.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah i ride the eibach's but i didnt put them on. what spring would be the best for these cars?
Old 07-20-2008, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i think this has been the most civil shocks debate ive read in a long while.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the stock springs actually arent that bad, strano's springs are held in high regards then hotchkiss, BMR. im thinking about swapping over to some strano springs soon but im still not so sure about the drop wreaking havoc on my paint. springs just like shocks depend on what your doing, if your corner carving you want a higher rate springs where as dragging you want lower to allow more lift to load the back tires.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

lets hope to keep it that way.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Z28 you ho,
I had 103k on the original shocks, car would wheel-hop like a MF'er from a stop or a 20mph roll, even with the rod end LCA's, LCA brackets. Put a umi PHR and Tokicos on this summer and have eliminated 99% of wheel-hop and much less bangin and rattles over potholes/bumps in road. In Milw, wisconsin potholes are the worst I've seen in 25years of driving. With the double adj phr and rod end LCA's it's still a firm ride. Would have got Koni's if i had the $, but they're almost 3X as much as I paid. It was a tuff choice between the KYB's & Tokicos, but I'm happy. They are NOT adjustable
Old 07-21-2008, 10:42 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks for the info gymrat, i think im gonna end up going with the KYB's. I just want something that is adjustable.
Thanks for all the info guys, i appreciate it

Quick Reply: Shocks ??????