New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pulling out of gear

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008 | 09:16 PM
TECH Regular

Default pulling out of gear

ive noticed i am able to pull the car out of gear in low rpms like 1200-1300. i dont even have to put the clutch in. is this bad to do? my friend is also able to do this on his car.
Old 07-23-2008 | 09:28 PM
On The Tree

i can do it too... i don't believe it will hurt anything... but who am i to say
Old 07-23-2008 | 10:46 PM
11 Second Club
15 Year Member

You can pull the car out of gear at any RPM's if you try.. I wouldn't do it though..
Old 07-23-2008 | 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you are good enough of a driver you can do *almost* everything without a clutch, the hardest thing is when you stop but yea, if your good enough you can rev match and actually take it out of gear, and insert it into another w/o a clutch (and w/o grinding if your good but its not easy ). but unless you have some extra cash on hand to fix any grinded gears i wouldnt try that
Old 07-23-2008 | 10:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

^^^^^^^^^ X2 i agree with this i used to do it on my 5.0 mustang. it was hard at first but i got used to it real fast when i lost my clutch and had to drive to a tranny shop lol. unfortunatly there was no other way, fortunatly i was on the way home from work and the shop wasnt too far away.
Old 07-27-2008 | 03:27 PM
11 Second Club

My clutch actually broke and I had to drive my car clutchless for about 80 miles. When I came to a stop I would have to shut off the car and start it in first.
Old 07-27-2008 | 03:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah no stopping for me it was all back road. lol it aint illegal if you dont get caught(thats just a joke so dont flame me).
Old 07-27-2008 | 04:48 PM
11 Second Club

I do this too, from what I've read it wont hurt anything.
Old 07-27-2008 | 05:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

lok at it this way.... one person pushes their clutch in and as he is going into gear he grinds them almost everytime.... the other guy doesnt push his clutch in but it slides in gear perfectly... its common sense... wont hurt a thing...

take your car down the road.. pick whatever gear you would like, 2nd or 3rd are the easiest.. when you get up to bout 1200-1300rpms pull it out gear and as the rpms start to drop slip it into the next gear.. its all in timing.. YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE TO FORCE IT!!!! as long as your clutch is in good shape and you can shift fine while pushing the clutch in you shouldnt have a problem while shifting without pushing it in, as long as you time it correctly.. i did it on like my 3rd time trying... ive had my m6 for about 2 1/2 weeks.. a friend showed me how to do it on the third day.. its easy.
Old 07-27-2008 | 05:06 PM
TECH Addict

I wouldn't recommend doing it unless you have a rebuild fund ready in future, this puts a lot of stress on the syncros as you can't really 100% match up the speed of the engine to the transmission for the what is in a "transmission's lifetime" a long *** time for you to find the gear.

I'd only do this in emergencies as it's really easy to do anyways as long as your transmission is in good working order.

Also noted how the newer owners/posters tend to want to do this more than us veterans who have gone through the trouble of having to pull and rebuild the transmission...
Old 07-27-2008 | 05:08 PM
TECH Junkie

I never use my clutch to shift out, only to shift in.

to come out of gear, just pull the shifter back to neutral gently at the same time you let go of the throttle... It must be done at the same time though.

Going IN a gear without a clutch is very risky... If you're a badass that will not make a mistake though, then it's fine. Coming out of a gear is not risky, it's really easy.
Old 07-27-2008 | 05:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

as long as there is no grinding/banging/or any strange noises it should be find though corect..... asking the veterans.
Old 07-27-2008 | 05:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

What's the point if your clutch works fine?
Old 07-27-2008 | 05:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah if there is no banging or grinding and it slips right in then everything is fine, when you start to hear grinding or any noises when trying to do it STOP. but i dont suggest it unless your clutch is out and you have no other choice. if they were meant to be driven without a clutch it wouldnt have been enginered with one.
Old 07-27-2008 | 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SladeX
I wouldn't recommend doing it unless you have a rebuild fund ready in future, this puts a lot of stress on the syncros as you can't really 100% match up the speed of the engine to the transmission for the what is in a "transmission's lifetime" a long *** time for you to find the gear.

I'd only do this in emergencies as it's really easy to do anyways as long as your transmission is in good working order.

Also noted how the newer owners/posters tend to want to do this more than us veterans who have gone through the trouble of having to pull and rebuild the transmission...
so true, ive had 3 sticks, and been driving for 6 years with them... the whole show off factor of doing it all the time to impress friends isnt worth the time it takes to remove and rebuild the transmission. and every one of my previous 6 cars has had the transmission out at one point or another for various reasons (none of which were due to abuse).
Old 07-27-2008 | 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lemons12
as long as there is no grinding/banging/or any strange noises it should be find though corect..... asking the veterans.
correct, but it does still mess with syncros as stated earlier.
Old 07-27-2008 | 06:52 PM
TECH Junkie

LOL, guys, taking a gear OUT without the clutch takes no brains... As you let go of the throttle, pull the stick... Nothing is going to happen to the tranny.

In traffic, I'm not going to push in the clutch coming to a stop each freaking time... I'll get off the gas, pull the stick, voila! I'm in neutral... Start braking, come to a stop, and then let go of the brake (on level ground)... Wait 5 minutes for the light, THEN use the clutch to go in a gear...

And as someone who has gone through 4 aftermarket clutches, I learned early on one of the things that kills hydraulics with big clutches is always messing with tht pedal unnecessarily or sitting at lights with the clutch in and dumb stuff like that... Now I only use the clutch to put a gear IN and only when I plan on going.

I've never had a problem with my T-56 and the synhros were fine .

Comepletely clutchless shifting is pointless, I agree... It's cool I suppose to "show off."
Old 07-27-2008 | 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

get an auto, you wont have to worry about crap like that
Old 07-27-2008 | 07:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

^^^ i got tired of driving my z around so last night i decided to get my TA out.... EVERYtime i got in last night i tried to mash the brake to the floor... haha

well i dont do it to show off.. i never really thought of that? are our cars some of the only ones that can do it? if ours can do it cant anyones...
Old 07-27-2008 | 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lemons12
^^^ i got tired of driving my z around so last night i decided to get my TA out.... EVERYtime i got in last night i tried to mash the brake to the floor... haha

well i dont do it to show off.. i never really thought of that? are our cars some of the only ones that can do it? if ours can do it cant anyones...
yea, but not everyone can do it.