New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In-tank fuel pump for 8.1L on MEFI-4

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008 | 09:40 PM

Default In-tank fuel pump for 8.1L on MEFI-4

Hello, I am a new guy here looking for input on spec’ing the right in tank fuel pump.

I have a 1978 Chevrolet K10 outfitted for expedition excursions running a 2002 8.1L on a MEFI-4 engine controller. I am currently using a frame mounted fuel pump, which is not getting along with the dual tank switch valve very well. Apparently the tank switch valve is pretty restrictive on the return side as the fuel pressure runs around 100 psi when the return side passes through it but runs the proper fuel pressure when the tank switch valve is bypassed.

I am not thrilled with the idea of the frame mounted pump anyway and plan to change to an in-tank fuel pump then run a separate low pressure high volume carbureted style electric fuel pump to act as a transfer pump to move fuel from the LH tank to the RH when needed. I will be swapping the RH fuel tank to an 1987-1991 (old body style) as that is a side saddle fuel tank that will fit my body style truck and was originally designed to run TBI with an in tank fuel pump sending unit.

My question is what fuel pump will work with the GM TBI fuel sending units but produce higher fuel pressure than what the TBI required. The MEFI-4 controlled 8.1L requires 38 to 44 psi (not 58 to 62 psi as the sequential 8.1L engines run).

I suspect a late 80's/ early 90's TPI F body fuel pump will work but looking for confirmation and suggestions of dependable pump supplier as this truck finds itself away from civilization often.

Any help would be appreciated.

Quick Reply: In-tank fuel pump for 8.1L on MEFI-4