Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans Am Buy...

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 08:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans Am Buy...

Ok guys, found a '98 Trans Am 6 speed (non WS6), 133k miles, t-tops, monsoon system. I drove it and couldn't believe it had that many miles. Clutch was really tight. Tires are pretty new, wheels aren't rashed anywhere, body is very clean with a handful of very minor scratches. Only real problems are some saggy rear springs and a messed up radio ****. One thing that worries me is a slight rattle when you let the clutch out, but everything else seems mechanically sound. Any ideas on what the rattle could be or how much you guys think is a fair price? Thx in advance.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:19 PM
TECH Regular

could be clutch chatter... is it a stock or aftermarket clutch?
Old 07-25-2008, 10:22 PM
Teching In

Stock clutch...what's clutch chatter? Is it a major problem?
Old 07-25-2008, 10:25 PM
TECH Regular

i paid $7800 for my 98 t/a with 142k on it... same with mine as the one you are looking at it was in awesome shape for its age/mileage... some people say i spent too much and tell me their stories of getting an 02 with 20k on it for $9000 and blah blah... but most that have seen it would say i got a pretty good deal... and its getting too hard to find these for anything less than maybe $6500-7000 at the least these days... as with everything else the prices on these cars seems to be inflating... as long as your happy with the car dont worry about what you spent... its only money and can be made again... the car will stay with you
Old 07-25-2008, 10:30 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 09aggie
Stock clutch...what's clutch chatter? Is it a major problem?

well its not too common in stock clutches... its more common with a "puck" disc that wants to engage very quickly/harshly when you are trying to slip it... its hard to explain the sound... i would say something like a set of keys rattling on a key chain... if its stock it might just have a spring or 2 loose in the disc from age... is the noise coming from the clutch area or another part of the car?... guess i should have asked that earlier
Old 07-25-2008, 10:45 PM
Teching In

see I can't tell if its coming from inside the actual transmission or further back. I barely noticed it, but the guy selling it said it happens when the clutch is let out.