New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is the difference in the cast ls1 and ls6 blocks?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 01:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation what is the difference in the cast ls1 and ls6 blocks?

Hey i have a buddy of mine that here in AZ he was driving down the road last monsoon season and some ***** bag splashed a **** load of water into the scoop of his SS. well he had insurance replace the engine and when he went to put on his LT's the driver side had a tab that was in the way. the tab looked like a shipping mount or a mount used to pull the motor when you attach chains but there were no bolt holes. he shaved it with a grinder to get the headers in but he was wondering if the bolts on the driverside not matching up(just one bolt in the center of the header flange where it has 2 bolts) and the tab means that he has a different block that the insurance company swaped.

i told him id ask but it would be sick if the insurance swaped a LS6 into his car thinking it was an original motor cause they pulled it out of a claim car(could have been swaped by previous owner and they didnt know).

what do yall think?
Old 08-05-2008, 03:16 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....86&postcount=8

How to tell if you have an LS6 Block

15% of 01s and 25% of 02's got the LS6 Block. The only way to tell 100% is to check the casting number. As you can see in the above pic (my ls6 block ) the casting number is at the top of the deck on the drivers side. Take a mirror and place it behind the block and check or jack up the car and attempt to look from the bottom. The "easier" ways are the casting hue and bulleye methods but none are conclusive. If you really want to know if you have the block you'll need to do the work and look for yourself, end of story.

Once you have determined if you have an LS6 block (ya you), then the only benefit to the block are the bay windows.

Its generally accepted from most engine builders that if your going for an extreme setup that the LS1 block offers more structural strength over the LS6 block.

THE LS6 BLOCK DOES NOT INCREASE HP, REPEAT AFTER ME "IF I HAVE AN LS6 BLOCK IT DOES NOT INCREASE POWER". LEARN IT, SAY IT, REPEAT IT.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok i am seriously asking for a friend who is a member of arizonacamaros.net and i work with him so i will tell him to check his block and i will do the same but pretty much i think for sure i have the LS1 but im not so worried about it. so i will let him(ya him) know how to check.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From what i know, the LS1 and LS6 are IDENTICAL in mounting points block, and heads. Plenty of people bolt on LS6/LS2 heads to LS1 motors, and vice versa. For example, our 02 WS.6 has an LS6 block in it with LS1 (241) heads, from the factory.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:04 PM
Staging Lane

I thought the difference was that the oil channels in the ls6 were better
Old 08-22-2008, 01:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think i read somewhere about the color of the aluminum? was that with LS1-LS6 differences?

Quick Reply: what is the difference in the cast ls1 and ls6 blocks?