New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which bolts can I reuse in my LM7?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 05:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which bolts can I reuse in my LM7?

Hey all im going through a 5.3L LM7, building it up for my 65 mustang, or possibly my 67 buick special or even my brothers 74 camaro! (havent decided where it will end up yet) But anyway Im wondering what bolts on the motor can I reuse? I know the head bolts are junk, but what about the rest of the critical bolts in the motor? (aka mains and rods) I searched and didnt come up with any answers, didnt want to bolt it together only to blow the motor into pieces the first time it revs up due to some bolts! Thanks guys!
Old 08-06-2008, 04:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do it right and replace them all. why go through all that trouble and not do it right, then have to take about 20hrs to tear it down and put better bolts in.

my .02
Old 08-07-2008, 01:46 AM
On The Tree

i agree...go with some ARP bolts...i had a 65 buick special and when i tore down the old motor from that, i found that most of the bolts were torque-to-yield bolts, and its hard to tell by eye, but they become slightly thinner in the middle of the threads and are stretched, and are no longer usable...so definately replace all the bolts, better to pay a little now then alot later! good luck!
Old 08-07-2008, 05:00 AM
On The Tree

Alright, thanks guys!

Quick Reply: Which bolts can I reuse in my LM7?