New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

z28 and SS

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008 | 12:10 AM
On The Tree

Default z28 and SS

i was wondering the differences in performance between a 1999 Z28 or 1999 SS.
Old 08-09-2008 | 12:11 AM
TECH Regular

Nothing its driver if you're talking basic street performance.
Old 08-09-2008 | 12:22 AM
Teching In

I thought the SS had slightly stiffer suspension? that's why it has a faster 1/4 mile time?
Old 08-09-2008 | 02:27 AM
11 Second Club

no difference at all unless it had more mods from slp. like the exhaust and suspension. all ss is to me is a appearence package.
Old 08-09-2008 | 06:11 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LSWon00
Nothing its driver if you're talking basic street performance.
+1

No difference in acceleration if you are comparing both vehicles with the same transmission or gearing (ie. 3.23 auto vs 3.23 auto or 6spd vs 6spd) The SS has stiffer suspension. It's like comparing the Firebird Formula to the Trans am. The better driver is going to win. If you want to get technical the base LS1 models (Formula, Z28) actually weigh slighlty less. Less weight is always good at the track... if you can hook.
Old 08-09-2008 | 10:23 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jp74
+1

No difference in acceleration if you are comparing both vehicles with the same transmission or gearing (ie. 3.23 auto vs 3.23 auto or 6spd vs 6spd) The SS has stiffer suspension. It's like comparing the Firebird Formula to the Trans am. The better driver is going to win. If you want to get technical the base LS1 models (Formula, Z28) actually weigh slighlty less. Less weight is always good at the track... if you can hook.
I'll be the first to admit that I don't know quite as much about the SS as I do about the WS6. That being said, wouldn't comparing a Z28 and a Z28 SS be more like comparing a Formula or Trans Am to a Formula WS6 or Trans Am WS6? We are talking about comparing a standard 305hp car to a 320hp car with minor suspension tweaks. I'm not saying there is a huge performance difference in the 2 vehicles, but there is a difference.

Just my .02
Old 08-09-2008 | 10:43 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jp74
If you want to get technical the base LS1 models (Formula, Z28) actually weigh slighlty less. Less weight is always good at the track... if you can hook.

With the same options, how would a Z28 weigh less than a SS? SS has a fiberglass hood and spoiler, unless the extra inch of wheel adds that much weight.
Old 08-09-2008 | 10:56 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SonicBoom
I'll be the first to admit that I don't know quite as much about the SS as I do about the WS6. That being said, wouldn't comparing a Z28 and a Z28 SS be more like comparing a Formula or Trans Am to a Formula WS6 or Trans Am WS6? We are talking about comparing a standard 305hp car to a 320hp car with minor suspension tweaks. I'm not saying there is a huge performance difference in the 2 vehicles, but there is a difference.

Just my .02
alright, another person who thinks WS6's are faster, i refer you to the sticky in the first section of this forum, a ls1 is a ls1 is a ls1, WS6 doesnt unlock a secret horsepower code, 305 vs 320 is what we intelligent people call a marketing ploy to sell vehicles by making uninformed people believe they are getting a faster car, WS6 means minor suspension upgrades, ramair hood (which isnt true due to a baffle), and some nicer wheels, now onto the op's statement, without SLP performance mods an SS is same as Z28 in performance, SS just means hood, spoiler, and wheels
Old 08-09-2008 | 11:30 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 02silvaZ
alright, another person who thinks WS6's are faster, i refer you to the sticky in the first section of this forum, a ls1 is a ls1 is a ls1, WS6 doesnt unlock a secret horsepower code, 305 vs 320 is what we intelligent people call a marketing ploy to sell vehicles by making uninformed people believe they are getting a faster car, WS6 means minor suspension upgrades, ramair hood (which isnt true due to a baffle), and some nicer wheels, now onto the op's statement, without SLP performance mods an SS is same as Z28 in performance, SS just means hood, spoiler, and wheels
Really? Huh, that's odd, I could have sworn it also came with a different (slightly lower restriction) exhaust as well. Guess not...

I'm not sure which sticky you are referring to that says that a WS6 has the same hp as a stock TA (or that they run the same times at the track). Link?
Old 08-09-2008 | 11:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

the exhaust would be the slp option of their catback but that really isnt going to net you 15 hp.
Old 08-09-2008 | 11:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

also heres the link to year changes https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....80&postcount=2 those are the only differences your really going to find. as for a thread that says ws6 and trans am have the same horsepower, go through the first or second page of recent posts on here and im sure there will be 8 threads just like this one. this question has been beat to death!
Old 08-09-2008 | 11:51 AM

If you have the option to pick up an SS over a standard Z28, go for it. They do look much better with the wheels, hood and wing. Performance is nearly identical. They are also easier to resell than a standard Z.
Old 08-09-2008 | 12:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by slow1999blackz28
also heres the link to year changes https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....80&postcount=2 those are the only differences your really going to find. as for a thread that says ws6 and trans am have the same horsepower, go through the first or second page of recent posts on here and im sure there will be 8 threads just like this one. this question has been beat to death!
I appreciate the link but I know the differences in the different years. We were discussing the differences in a same year (in this case '99) model. I'm not sure what you mean when you say that the exhaust is an "option" because that's part of the SS & WS6 packages. So what I have gathered so far in this thread is that if you lined up a stock '99 Z28 and a stock '99 Z28 SS, they would run identical times and traps (or that the non-SS may actually win). Really?

I understand that an LS1 (the core engine itself) is an LS1 is an LS1, but to say that adding wider tires, a lower restriction exhaust and a more tuned suspension nets you ZERO... I just have a hard time getting behind that train of thought. One of my best friends has a non-SS A4 Z28 and he has not yet beat me or even kept up 100% when we've run the 2. I'm not here to start any arguments so I'll just bow out and say I was wrong about any differences in the 2 base vehicles...
Old 08-09-2008 | 12:26 PM
TECH Addict

exhaust options were only on the SLP cars i.e. SS and Firehawk, the WS6 has the same exhaust as the t/a just with different tips, you arent gonna find that on a thread, its called looking at the part numbers on the muffler when you take them off, they are the same, WS6 was built by ASC and has no performance upgrades from SLP, wider tires do not make more horsepower, yes a WS6 and SS are faster in 1/4 miles due to the hood adding air, if you dyno a WS6, a t/a, and a formula you will not see a 15 hp difference in the cars, more like 2-3 depending on age and wear on the motors, the only reason they are faster is when you are going at a high enough rate of speed for the hoods to actually work, i repeat WS6 is not SLP, has no SLP performance upgrades, the WS6 exhaust is not a secret 15hp adder, quit thinking you are the god of cars cause yours says WS6, its not that special, very nice cars dont get me wrong i like them, but they arent superman over the other LS1's

Last edited by 02silvaZ; 08-09-2008 at 12:32 PM.
Old 08-09-2008 | 12:43 PM
10 Second Club

here when i was stock i had a lid an exhaust through a 6 speed i dynoed 320 rwhp and 325 rwtq so how could i have 305 hp ? and i have a 01 z28
Old 08-09-2008 | 12:46 PM
10 Second Club

simply put there the same car
Old 08-09-2008 | 01:17 PM
Launching!

wider tires do not make more horsepower
No, they usually make better traction.

yes a WS6 and SS are faster in 1/4 miles due to the hood adding air, if you dyno a WS6, a t/a, and a formula you will not see a 15 hp difference in the cars, more like 2-3 depending on age and wear on the motors, the only reason they are faster is when you are going at a high enough rate of speed for the hoods to actually work
You're right, the hp difference comes in at higher speeds. I don't know too many people that are into "dyno racing". If you go back and re-read my initial post, my point was that there is a slight performance difference between the bone stock "Ram Air" models and the bone stock "non Ram Air" models; not much, but it is there. You were the one that said "an SS is same as Z28 in performance".

WS6 was built by ASC and has no performance upgrades from SLP, i repeat WS6 is not SLP, has no SLP performance upgrades
Thanks, I needed you to explain that to me.

quit thinking you are the god of cars cause yours says WS6, its not that special, very nice cars dont get me wrong i like them, but they arent superman over the other LS1's
Whoa, where the hell did that come from? Napoleon complex much? Seriously, when have I EVER said anything about a WS6 even being special much less "superman over the other LS1's"?
Old 08-09-2008 | 01:36 PM
TECH Regular

Wow alot of misinformation here.

SS = fancy hood, fancy spoiler, wheels and badges.... Now you can get an SS and have slp options on it, intake, exhaust, suspension but those are optional not every SS came with them. Performance wise a Z28 and a base non slp optioned SS are identical from ls1 to exhaust tip. Also the ls1 was underrated as to not compete with the vette. GM says the z28 makes 310 (2002) the SS makes 325 and the 04 GTO makes 350hp in reality they all make around 345 - 350hp same as the vette of those years. Now the 01 and 02 and later ls1 did have the ls6 intake manifold that would net it around 5 more hp.
Old 08-09-2008 | 01:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by z28bryan02
Wow alot of misinformation here.

SS = fancy hood, fancy spoiler, wheels and badges.... Now you can get an SS and have slp options on it, intake, exhaust, suspension but those are optional not every SS came with them. Performance wise a Z28 and a base non slp optioned SS are identical from ls1 to exhaust tip.
Ok, I want to get this straight once and for all, just for my own information.

http://media.gm.com/division/canada/...999Camaro.html

According to GM, the "base" SS package consists of:

"SS" Performance and
Appearance Package: Includes
320-hp, forced air system,
275/40ZR17 Goodyear Eagle F1
speed-rated tires, 17"
aluminum wheels, enhanced
spoiler, specific low-
restriction dual exhaust
system, power steering
cooler, high performance
ride and handling package,
"SS" badging and 3.42 axle
ratio with 6-speed manual or
3.23 axle ratio with 4-speed
automatic transmission
(not
available with Sport
Appearance package)

So are you saying there was a way to get ONLY the hood, spoiler, wheels and badges without getting any of the "performance" upgrades?
Old 08-09-2008 | 01:56 PM
Launching!

Also, just for the record:

the WS6 has the same exhaust as the t/a just with different tips, you arent gonna find that on a thread, its called looking at the part numbers on the muffler when you take them off, they are the same
I went outside and climbed under my WS6 to get the muffler numbers to see if you were indeed correct (since that would mean that GM had left themselves wide open for a false advertising lawsuit). I went on GMPartsDirect and looked up the stock f-body mufflers and they DO show different mufflers (and part #) for those equipped with the "Performance Pkg" (WS6).

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0