Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can broken cats cause more damage?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008 | 11:26 AM
Staging Lane

DESCRIPTION:

SPECIAL COVERAGE ADJUSTMENT #05513 - NOVEMBER 27, 2006
· Some customers of 2000-02 Chevrolet Camaro and 2000-02 Pontiac Firebird model vehicles, equipped with a 5.7L V8 (RPO LS1 – VIN G) engine, may experience a failure of the left or right catalytic converter.
· This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.
· For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after November 27, 2006 are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to November 27, 2006 must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.
· Refer to Special Coverage Adjustment #05513 for further information.

EFFECTIVE DATE:
· Initial owner mailing is scheduled to begin: 12-4-06

GENERAL INFORMATION:

Parts required to complete this special coverage are to be obtained from General Motors Service and Parts Operations (GMSPO).

Part Number
Description
Quantity/Vehicle
Asm, Catalytic Converter and Pipe LH
Asm, Catalytic Converter and Pipe RH
Gasket, Exh Manif Pipe LH
Gasket, Exh Manif Pip RH
Old 08-12-2008 | 11:46 AM
Staging Lane

I talked to the guy and he said basically they can fix it under warranty but they need to send the part to GM to get paid for their warranty work. So if they send a banged up part GM wont pay them then they do not get screwed.

I guess something happened before i even had the car because he said there is a bang in the cat that doesnt look new as well as in the post cat exhaust pipe. I know that i have never bottomed out that hard, the car isnt lowered and the only thing that ever scratches is the plastic sheet that hangs down in the front.. kinda wonder how someone could slam it that hard.

Last edited by Cry0; 08-12-2008 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-12-2008 | 12:05 PM
Staging Lane

Holy crap california is the worst state, the popular exhaust shop here said that there are no california legal cats that they can install except the dealership one. So i get stuck buying some stupid overpriced dealer cat... this has to be the dumbest part of the car.
Old 08-12-2008 | 08:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Cry0
Holy crap california is the worst state, the popular exhaust shop here said that there are no california legal cats that they can install except the dealership one. So i get stuck buying some stupid overpriced dealer cat... this has to be the dumbest part of the car.

Like was already said just cut them off and knock out the internals and weld them back up and install O2 sims and be done with it and never have to worry about it again. Or im pretty sure it would be easy to find somebody here with there stock cats they would sell you cheap.
Old 08-12-2008 | 08:39 PM
Staging Lane

Problem is im moving and do not have time to shop around for cats and install them. Trust me, if i had a way to get my broken cat off and gut it myself i would. Instead i had to suck it up and throw stupid amounts of money to fix retarded problems.

You say just cut them off and weld them back up as if every 21 year old student living in an apartment has ready access to saws, torches and lifts.
Old 08-12-2008 | 08:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just pulled off cats of my gf's 2000 T/A. She went to longtubes, They are completely intact with no problems. 54k miles on them. I was going to sell them to someone on here for $160 for scrap but i would much rather sell them to someone who needs them. Just let me know.

-Steve
Old 08-12-2008 | 08:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Cry0

You say just cut them off and weld them back up as if every 21 year old student living in an apartment has ready access to saws, torches and lifts.

Ouch well that sucks!

Look at the latest post from stevo. If i were you i would buy them off that guy and have a shop slap it on for you. That will be the cheapest solution I think. He lives close to me so if he trys to screw you over i can go down and bitch slam him around a little LOL (I kid I kid)! If you were close i would have you bring it over to my crib and fix it up for you. Im not the best welder but my welds hold strong.
Old 08-13-2008 | 03:49 AM
Launching!

What we always did on are cars was take the cat off and get a big steel bar, like a tanker bar or huge pry bar and ram it down the center. it clears it out and is almost like its just part of the exhaust piping then. Plus it looks liek you still have a cat on it.
Old 08-13-2008 | 08:19 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by usaf_hess
if your "cats" are broken(meaning the inner material is cracked and or crumbeling) then it could restrict the flow through them and cause serious back pressure and heat in the cat. the heat could melt it into a solid piece and then cause a block in the flow and damage your engine pretty bad. FIX it.
Old 08-13-2008 | 12:31 PM
Staging Lane

Yea well like i said once i move im buying some basic stuff to start learning how to do things myself.