Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Piston Slap?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 11:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dailydriver
How can one tell the difference between rod knock and piston slap??

Do they sound exactly alike except that the piston slap goes away after warm up???
I think they sound similar.....
Old 08-27-2008, 12:16 PM
TECH Addict

If you don't like the sound of that than don't bother getting an aftermarket cam since they require stiff springs and the sewing machine affect is anoying as hell. I had LS6 springs on my car before and they were like stock and as stiff as I'd go with a hotcam if I did it again. BTW don't worry about the slap like the others said unless you have other issues of using allot of oil and what not. Chev is famous for it but it sounds like you don't have much worries.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if a car is cold or idling you can hear a rhythmatic tick but as soon as you rev say to 2k rpm i dont think you should hear it. thats piston slap. i've heard it on a fresh rebuilt engine sitting on TPIS engine dyno when my car club got a tour. if you rev and tick/noise gets worse i'd say you got problems.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DANOZ28
if a car is cold or idling you can hear a rhythmatic tick but as soon as you rev say to 2k rpm i dont think you should hear it. thats piston slap. i've heard it on a fresh rebuilt engine sitting on TPIS engine dyno when my car club got a tour. if you rev and tick/noise gets worse i'd say you got problems.
I think the tapping is only noticeable at idle. Seems to go away when I rev. I'll have to double check next time I drive the car.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:34 PM
TECH Addict

So what part of the piston actualy makes the noise? Is it the skirt hittin the cylinder wall? Or the whole piston it self moving enough to hit the cylinder walls?

I know that forged pistons do it more than hyperutectics.

I think it is the skirt in between the motion change of the rods.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:04 PM
TECH Regular

I notice that whenever I go over bridges and such and can hear the echo of my car, it has a ticking sound.

My car has a 232/240 cam with .598/.608 lift, 5.3 heads, and I believe headers (work was done by previous owner).

Is this something I should be worried about?
Old 08-27-2008, 11:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 4WOFURY

My car has a 232/240 cam with .598/.608 lift, 5.3 heads, and I believe headers (work was done by previous owner).

Is this something I should be worried about?

No worries . . . . .

How in the hell do you know specs on your cam and not know if your car has headers?
Old 08-28-2008, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by samson_420
No worries . . . . .

How in the hell do you know specs on your cam and not know if your car has headers?
haha, prolly just copy pasted from wherever he bought his car from.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:14 PM
TECH Regular

Indeed. He didn't mention headers on the car, but they don't look stock to me, and I don't know what headers they are.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:29 AM
Teching In

hey guys. i know i responded to this thread a while ago. but in the time between then and now, i asked one of the mechanics at a chevy dealer about this. he told me, some cars with ls1's will have it. some wont. some will go away when warmed up. some will slightly go away. some wont at all. oil burning may happen because of this, but is not somethin to get your panties in a bundle over and start rippin the motor out for. for me, my car's piston slap starts up pretty noticable at first. then when it warms up a bit, it goes away pretty well. but after a high revv or so, i can hear it for a few seconds. then goes back away. so, there are many different variations of piston slap, and how often you hear it, and stuff like that. at first, i was worried about it. but now ive done enough talkin to people with experience with it, and i dont worry about it at all..it affects nothing. Just dont smash the gas when the car isnt warmed up yet - like any car - but just take into consideration - our cars have a piston slap, and we should care to it while the motor is cold, to prevent any further damage. did i miss anything, anyone?

I try

Dave
Old 08-31-2008, 06:22 PM
12 Second Club

is it just me or is there a piston slap post like once a week?

Quick Reply: Piston Slap?