Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will dyno tune help????

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 11:18 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blue02bird
That is exactly what i didn't want to hear seeing as how I have a magnaflow cb and i'm about to get longtubes and ory
Then run cats. Don't half *** it. If you don't want to spend the money, you're not ready for the mod yet IMO. Save up another week or two. If you're worried about performance, don't. A set of high flow cats won't hurt you at the track unless you're pushing obscene amounts of power, in which case you'll want to scrap the y-pipe and catback setup anyway Do it right and you won't regret it
Old 08-21-2008, 11:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still have no idea why, but I like the rasp.

My last car(a 4 banger Saturn) sounded like it had a fart whistle and thought it was the coolest thing.

I know, I know. But I like it. **** I liked when I had no exhaust on my Camaro for a while.

Those bullet cats flow damn near close to a piece of 3" pipe from what I have seen/heard.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
I've never seen them flowbenched, so I can't give you numbers. I have HEARD that they aren't terrible, being the manifolds are the bottleneck stock, not so much the cats. I have heard of people gutting stock cats and not feeling anything in terms of gains.

Of course, that's all hearsay, and it doesn't matter since you can't reuse the stock cats on aftermarket exhaust. You need to go out and buy universals. The Magnaflow 59959's are the best on the market IMO. They're bullet style and just a little over $100 each. They're all metal spun, so they're the highest flowing, too.

For what it's worth, I run an open cutout and I don't use a Flowmaster merge. My merge is kind mediocre. Not bad but no Flowmaster merge. Even with the open cutout, I don't have hardly any rasp because the cats do their job. The ONLY time I get any rasp is if I give the throttle a 50% throttle stab at ~45 mph and the car pulls in first gear at 2,000 rpm's. There's a tad bit of rasp there if you're underneath a tunnel so you can hear the sound amplified. It's pretty clean for an open cutout. NO rasp with neutral revs, NO rasp at normal acceleration, NO rasp at WOT. This is the ONLY situation where even slight rasp is detectable.

Magnaflow 59959 cats:

thanx again! i can see these can be welded easily after the Y pipe is cut... any idea on how much i should expect to pay for install????? and also, do i have any chance on passing smog with those? sniffer...
Old 08-21-2008, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZMONSTER!
pretty damn bad, figure 7-10rwhp would be my educated guess
damn...
Old 08-21-2008, 11:40 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm

The article says an 8 rwhp gain is typical from removing the stock cats. That's nothing. Your car sees more than an 8 rwhp gain on a cool night vs. a hot day. That's barely a tenth at the track. That's less than an air lid install. That's peanuts on a 350hp car. And since high flow cats will flow hundreds of cfm's more, you won't lose much of any power at all by going with the cats I recommended. They flow something like 400 cfm each if memory recalls correctly. That's HUGE.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:18 AM
TECH Resident

You can put a Flowmaster merge on your y-pipe if you want. It'll help a little but it'll still be raspy and sound like crap. Better merges, bullets in the I-pipe...they're a band-aid on a bullet wound that just keep you from succumbing to the real solution. These cars NEED cats if you're going to run a y-pipe setup to sound halfway decent.[/QUOTE]

Wrong! It sounds a whole lot better and improves performance as well.
Search the topic, I see nothing but good results from a merge, cats are good too, not gonna knock em, but the merge will deliver just as much and has eliminated all rasp for me. It may be a case by case scenario, but then again, can you say cats will completely remove 100% rasp, no.
My merge was 3" to 3.5" out then reduced. I am running all 3" pipe, so there is nothing lost when reducing. All the big HP cars running a Y exhaust have some sort of custom/fabbed merge to increase the airflow.

For example, he puts cats on, great, but now he still has a bad merge in the Y...all he has solved was a rasp issue, but the air flow is still being restricted at the head-butting merge.
He bought the ORY for a reason, lets work forward from there and not backwards back to the cats.

There are several options out here he can research and decide from there.

Cats....$200 + labor
Merge...$50 + labor

Merge:
http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...2e2c2d0ac3a0ce

I would also recommend P&P your throttle body before your tune.
Several sponsors/members on here do it, I think for about $70....do it!!!!
It will defintly complement your ls6 intake and new exhaust system.

Last edited by Titanws6; 08-22-2008 at 08:59 AM.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

The article says an 8 rwhp gain is typical from removing the stock cats. That's nothing. Your car sees more than an 8 rwhp gain on a cool night vs. a hot day. That's barely a tenth at the track. That's less than an air lid install. That's peanuts on a 350hp car. And since high flow cats will flow hundreds of cfm's more, you won't lose much of any power at all by going with the cats I recommended. They flow something like 400 cfm each if memory recalls correctly. That's HUGE.
yep, i'll probably get some cats, and look into merge when have more money lol
Old 08-22-2008, 02:40 PM
Launching!

man dyno tune is the way to go. when i got my headers without tune it picked up a little, but i picked up 80rwhp 65rwtq off a tune and mines raspy as hell but at WOT it sounds like it gonna rip your head off and spit it out. i always like the saying "if it's too loud you too old" but then again i only drive my car like 4 or 5 times a month
Old 08-22-2008, 03:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get it tuned, look at my numbers, i had 338 before the tune. mine was pretty raspy and vibrated the whole car when i gave it gas, found out my flowmasters restrited the flow, i put in a cutout and it's fine now. the ORY doesnt bang off the bottom of the floor pans as much
Old 08-23-2008, 04:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by strokerblackhawk
man dyno tune is the way to go. when i got my headers without tune it picked up a little, but i picked up 80rwhp 65rwtq off a tune and mines raspy as hell but at WOT it sounds like it gonna rip your head off and spit it out. i always like the saying "if it's too loud you too old" but then again i only drive my car like 4 or 5 times a month
no, no... i am well getting used to my sound and will be putting a cutout aswell... i say **** THE NEIGHBORS!!!!!

but seriously... when i start up the car, my brother says he can feel floor tremble a bit...
Old 08-23-2008, 04:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by foreverzero
get it tuned, look at my numbers, i had 338 before the tune. mine was pretty raspy and vibrated the whole car when i gave it gas, found out my flowmasters restrited the flow, i put in a cutout and it's fine now. the ORY doesnt bang off the bottom of the floor pans as much
well, i probably picked up 15Whp with the current set up being untuned... a tune is a must in my situation... i am ordering a cutout aswell
Old 08-24-2008, 10:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

WAAAYYY more air comes out of your engine than goes in...
Old 08-24-2008, 10:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by black_phoenix
no, no... i am well getting used to my sound and will be putting a cutout aswell... i say **** THE NEIGHBORS!!!!!

but seriously... when i start up the car, my brother says he can feel floor tremble a bit...
haha get a big cam and cutouts and see what he says