New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

quick exahaust question

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008 | 02:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default quick exahaust question

when people get the of road y pipe do they pass inspection dont you have to get cats? and do you make more power when you have an ory instead of a catted y pipe? i live in texas if that matters about emmissions
oh yea and when you get a ory dont you have to delete the rear o2

Last edited by gc302047; 09-03-2008 at 03:41 PM.
Old 09-03-2008 | 03:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

anybody?
Old 09-03-2008 | 03:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

you cannot pass emissions with out cats. but there are ways around that. if they just plug you up and your not throwing any codes they may let you slide on through. the one emissions place i go to if you say your car is too low to go over the rollers they give you a 2 year waver for free. also ive seen threads on here where people gain like 2whp from no cats. you might as well just get a catted y if you cant sneak around the emissions like others do. your actually not allowed to move the stock cat location so technically with long tubes the catted y is illegal but ive heard of people letting it slide.
hope that helps you out a bit.
Old 09-03-2008 | 03:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

You wont pass emissions with the ory. You can either tune out the rear o2's or buy sims. both will not set off the ses light. If the inspection shop only does a obd2 port test then you could be fine if you tune out the rear o2's and if they dont look under the car.
Old 09-03-2008 | 03:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by slow1999blackz28
you cannot pass emissions with out cats. but there are ways around that. if they just plug you up and your not throwing any codes they may let you slide on through. the one emissions place i go to if you say your car is too low to go over the rollers they give you a 2 year waver for free. also ive seen threads on here where people gain like 2whp from no cats. you might as well just get a catted y if you cant sneak around the emissions like others do. your actually not allowed to move the stock cat location so technically with long tubes the catted y is illegal but ive heard of people letting it slide.
does having no cats make your car sound different just wondering
Old 09-03-2008 | 03:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by slow1999blackz28
Your right on all but the roller part if the car is to low to drive over the rollers it will fell the test.
In Texas what the inspectors have told me about exhausts. If you are NOT throwing any codes and the exhaust apparels stock.... headers, cats, y pipe and mufflers with no leaks. It will pass. They dont know were the cats are suppose to be as long them.Cutout pass in Texas as long as they are close during the inspection.

Help this helps
Old 09-03-2008 | 03:52 PM
Staging Lane

If you have to pass a visual inspection you are probably going to have issues. If you get the rear O2s tuned out and you don't have any other reasons for your SES light to come on you should pass the OBDII portion of the test. I guess I am lucky here in Wisconsin they just plug into the OBDII port and if you are not throwing any codes for emissions related components you are good to go, no visual under the car, they don't even pop the hood. I just got them check last week, I was in and out in 5 min.