New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2 - How much HP can you run thru them?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 12:30 PM
Village Idiot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS2 - How much HP can you run thru them?

I am about to purchase a used LS2 engine for a potential engine swap and am wondering the true stoutness of these motors? I will be looking to boost it up and am curious as to how much horsepower you can safetly run through the stock internals of these motors?

Looking for ball park figures... I am new to this forum so I hope this simple question doesn't offend anyone? I tried searching and could not find..

Also rumors of piston slapping when cold are sometimes common in these motors..Is there any truth to that? Any other tid bits of info to look out for when buying this used motor would be most appreciated...

Thanks...
Old 09-08-2008, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

700rwhp can be done on a stock bottom end ls2 pretty consistently, and piston slap is common, but not a big deal
Old 09-08-2008, 01:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

everyone on these boards has piston slap.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:37 PM
Village Idiot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys... I don't think I will be pushing much more the 600whp out of these motors on my street legal swap, currently buying an LS2 off Ebay..... This is good news....

So piston slap is not a concern as it doesn't knick up the cylinder walls over time or work the rings over? The reason I ask this is the motor I am purchasing already has 48,000 miles on it.. I'm really hoping it's still in tip top shape... I'm suprised GM didn't correct that slapping issue...That's gotta concern the GM car buyers when they hear the slapping going on during those cold morning start ups, no?

Also there were reported oil passage issues and some electrical problems with the early model LS1 engines.. From what I heard the LS2's don't have these issues...Am I correct in assuming that?

Last edited by JIBBBY; 09-08-2008 at 01:46 PM.

Quick Reply: LS2 - How much HP can you run thru them?